Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tree stand calling

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tree stand calling

Postby idahoghost » 08 18, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I will be hunting from a tree stand for the first time. The stand overlooks a waterhole/mineral lick with lots of elk coming in.

The cows and calves visit at least twice a day, the bulls so far only once a day. I have heard many thoughts on calling, both good and bad from a tree stand.

Some say moderate cow calls may bring in bull out of curiosity. How often is too much? A soft mew or lost cow call? How long between calls and how what kind of sequence should I consider?

Thanks in advance, 12 days and counting...Fingers and toes crossed
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Re: Tree stand calling

Postby foxvalley » 08 18, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Elknut gives an exellent explanation in the playbook of when to call and when not to at water. If you have bull elk coming in once a day,I don't see any reason to call at all. They might not want a confrontation,and they are coming to get a drink anyway!. Just my advice,but I would concentrate on scent control,and getting the stand in a position where you won't get winded. Sounds like you have done you homework,don't let a little pipsqueek calf wreck it for you by getting your scent.
(I'd give my left... to have a waterhole where bull elk are coming in every day!)
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Re: Tree stand calling

Postby Freebird134 » 08 18, 2012 •  [Post 3]

foxvalley wrote: If you have bull elk coming in once a day,I don't see any reason to call at all.

x2!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon