Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What to do when...

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What to do when...

Postby bloomy » 08 17, 2012 •  [Post 1]

So last year this happened to me twice. I get a bull to respond and move it. He keeps calling but doesnt move so I move closer. I call and he answers and I'm hunting solo and so I move closer with out calling. He never moves. Soon I'm so close that if I move any closer he will see me (maybe 50 yards). We continue to call back and forth but he never runs or comes in, just holds his ground. The wind finally ends up swirling in both cases after a long stand off and the both bust out. What do you do in this situation? I had never seen elknuts videos until just recently so would this be a good time to try a level 2 or 3 threat on him? Thoughts?
bloomy

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Bloomquist

Re: What to do when...

Postby cnelk » 08 17, 2012 •  [Post 2]

What was the time of day?

Maybe he was bedded?
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby easeup » 08 17, 2012 •  [Post 3]

good point cnelk.
If he is bedded like late morning. you can wait him out or just keep creeping in.

that scenario has happened to me once. I just kept goin in and finally spied him at about 4o yds. never closed the deal since a cow was bedded up at 5 yds from me,
she set off the alarm. I should have just shot her.
easeup

Postby Bullnuts » 08 17, 2012 •  [Post 4]

In that situation I'll pick up a big limb and smash it into the ground. When you're sneaking in and calling, but not making any other elk sounds, those elk start getting suspicious. Make some noise! I'll also kick my feet into the dirt to make it sound like a hoof hitting the ground, and smash a limb, and then get ready. Normally just a little bit of noise will be just the ticket to get that bull moving your way.
Bullnuts

Postby shooter21 » 08 17, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Or it could just be a young bull avoiding any kind confrontation and pushing his cows or calfs lol away
shooter21

First Name: vincent
Last Name: lopez

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 18, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Bloomy, no that is not a Threat Method situation! My guess is (you do not say) you are cow calling this bull, he responds with short bugles & possible chuckling, he is asking you to come over his way. You continue moving in & calling randomly as you do & he continues to invite you in. I would monitor the wind best I could & give him what he is asking for if at all possible, I would go to him, noise is not a factor here as he feels anything he hears is the cow coming his way! When a cow goes to the bulls invite she is not sneaking in, she comes in at a regular pace & many times mewing as she does. As a bull invites us go to them!!! Great spot for a Heads Up Decoy to use as you go at him to achieve bowrange in case he glimpses your movement!

The bull could have been bedded, time of morning is a good indicator. He could have been a herd bull & his cows bedded below him, one more cow (you) was not a big deal it's common when cows are not showing signs of estrus for bulls to bed a 100yds above the cows, when you called he was just inviting you to the group. Just a thought!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby bloomy » 08 18, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I was actually bugling at him the entire time and it was mid morning. Like 8 or so. It's possible they were bedded and that's why they didn't move. I was making some noise as well by throwing rocks down the hill to try and through my sound off and broke branches.
bloomy

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Bloomquist

Postby Bullnuts » 08 18, 2012 •  [Post 8]

8 is still pretty early, even in August. I am typically chasing elk until well after 10 and sometimes going until noon or so. It's possible the bull was bedded that early, but if he wasn't moving away and wasn't coming in, I would guess that he was waiting for you - or he was another hunter.
Bullnuts