Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What do you do for the opener?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What do you do for the opener?

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 15, 2012 •  [Post 1]

At the end of the season I usually put on at least 10 miles a day but for the opener I like to be a hunt slow and strategic. How do you like to hunt the opener?
JohnFitzgerald

Re: What do you do for the opener?

Postby wapitibowman » 08 15, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Cover some ground and glass my brains out.
wapitibowman

First Name: R
Last Name: E

Postby eltaco » 08 15, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Lots of miles and cold calling. Just need to find elk within earshot and we generally have some good action, whether they come in silent or screaming seems to be a roll of the dice!
eltaco

Postby bullrub » 08 15, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Most of the time, you noticed I said most of,not all of the time. I will know where to go, because I only live about 20 to 30 mins from where i hunt and have spent alot of time scouting the area and using my trail cams.
I use to go at it like a wildman and cover as much ground as i could, not anymore, it slow and steady now. I will set on one of my trails that i know the elk have been using and cold cow call nice and softly and wait at least 45 mins. before moving. I will do this pretty much all day long.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby Bullnuts » 08 15, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I get up before dawn and head to my honey hole that has accounted for almost all my elk over the past 10 years. I'll get in there just as it's starting to get light enough to see and walk up an old logging road that makes walking nice and quiet. I'll cover about 5 miles that way if I have to, but most years I don't get more than a couple miles in before I'm into the elk and then it's stalking time!
Bullnuts

Postby mattstanton » 08 15, 2012 •  [Post 6]

slow moving and meticulous. cold calling near likely bedding areas on fresh sign. Lot of time spent on water in the mid day hours and lots of glassing in the evening to locate elk when they are moving from bedding to feeding areas.
mattstanton

Postby Lefty » 08 15, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Glass and cover ground the first 2 hours.
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby elkchaser503 » 08 16, 2012 •  [Post 8]

i sit in my stand over my mineral lick in the morning and in my tree stand over waterhole in the afternoon. i usually get off my stand in the morning around 11am go to camp get some food then head to my other tree stand over water around 1pm. we get alot of action on water during the mid afternoon when most guys go back to camp and the woods quiet down. the elk come out of there holes and come to water.. the hotter it is the more they come in. That's my basic deal opening week. i check my trail cams on different waterholes during the week to see which ones are getting hit more often and move my stand when i need too
elkchaser503

Postby Sucobowhunter » 08 16, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Lots of glassing, mellow cold calling, and trying to not spook em out before they start rutting. My area holds a lot of elk so we move very slowly.
Sucobowhunter

First Name: Jason
Last Name: Heney

Postby GhostStalker » 08 16, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I usually hunt water for the first week with some light cow calling.
GhostStalker

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: R