Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

ELK IN THE OAK BRUSH

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

ELK IN THE OAK BRUSH

Postby BEACHTREE » 08 15, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Looking for any and all advise on hunting elk in the colorado oak brush when there very quiet, hunted unit 62 last year kinda tuff not much elk talk and u cant see much in the distance.
BEACHTREE

Re: ELK IN THE OAK BRUSH

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 15, 2012 •  [Post 2]

In our area, they drop down into the thick oaks from pressure. It's usually dryer and warmer, so we set up close to wallows or water source in the evenings. They will get vocal in the oaks around the 10th of Sept. in our area. I set up on high ridges, glass and bugle until I locate one, then go after him at daylight.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby one_elk » 08 15, 2012 •  [Post 3]

From the elk datasets I have seen, and watching them throughout the year, elk use the oak brush a lot during all seasons of the year and working on figuring out how to hunt the oak brush is a wise idea. As mentioned above spotting and stalking can be productive I also know a couple of guys who find well-traveled routes through the oak brush, they set up about 20 yards off these routes and wait for a chance to ambush…..I tried calling in the oak brush last year but just couldn’t get them to stop where I would have a shot but I am going to keep trying….they spend a lot of time in the oak brush even in August… be great to hear what others have done as well
one_elk

Postby dotman » 08 15, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I have done spotting across drainages and then formulated a stalk in the oak brush only once. The stalk went perfect the bad part was unless you were within 5 yards there was no shot. Last year I was 23 yards from a 5x5 for over 2hrs, only a head shot was available too many branches in the way all the way around. Heck had a calf walk up 5 yards from me spook and run and all the cows just looked at it like it was playing. I should have just pulled my knife and went to hand to hand combat because that is how close you have to get.

Now in my area the oak brush is 6ft to 15ft tall with all kinds of travel routes but no open areas without being in the trail. I was pretty po'd after spending a morning spotting, stalking and waiting to never even see a clean body shot. But it was still a blast! Oh and any of the larger open areas are where the cattle are.
dotman

Postby easeup » 08 16, 2012 •  [Post 5]

aahhhh, the oak brush...
This is your best friend or worst enemy usually in the same hour.
They are in it and it provides good cover. The bad is hunting in it when it is hot and dry; too noisy.
However, lurking around a seep or other water in the oakbrush is a smart move. The brush will allow you to cut the distance in your favor nearly every time. Call and work the wind and you can get real close for a good shot.
Then the worst enemy thing happens when there is a limb blocking your shot.
I have worked many an hour in that stuff and have also found it can be very frustrating....but like you noted never have your senses been so alive trying to work through it and execute a shot.
easeup

Postby one_elk » 08 18, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Elk in the oak brush at about noon today 8/18/12 there was between 60 and 70 of them in no hurry at all this is in an over the counter unit...
Attachments
oak_elk.jpg
oak_elk.jpg (101.44 KiB) Viewed 4050 times
one_elk

Postby one_elk » 08 18, 2012 •  [Post 7]

sorry the photo is a little blurry and not all the elk show up because of picture size limit....anyway they do like the oakbrush
one_elk