Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Last minute tips

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Last minute tips

Postby Firemedicbkelly » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Hey guys I am new to this site. I was referred by some members and really enjoy reading everyone's tips and tactics. I am going on my second DIY elk hunt this year. It will be OTC in Colorado. Saw a few elk last year but was really clueless to the tactics of hunting elk. I have been really working hard to learn all I can this year including lots of map study, physical condotioning and learning some basic calls. I was wondering if anyone had some good last minute tips or tactics that they would share that they use to be successful.
Firemedicbkelly

First Name: Blake
Last Name: Kelly

Re: Last minute tips

Postby elkaholic » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Welcome my elknut comrad! There is a ton of information in the different threads here. Utilize the search function and you will find a TON of information. Don't forget to check out the video clips that Paul made.

Good luck!
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby bullrub » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 3]

You have found the right sight to get all the tips you want. If you cant find it here you won't find it anywhere.
You will soon become an elknut just like the rest of use. Welcome to the forum.
The biggest tip i could give you is always hunt the wind. All of the fancy stuff they tell you to buy so the elk won't smell you is kind of true, but an elks noise is your worst enemy.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Hunt hard and smart. Remember bulls/elk come in for 4 reason.

1. Accidentally - You're in the right spot as they move.
2. Inquisitive - Elk can be very curious creatures.
3. Social - Elk are herd animals so they are very social.
4. Threat - Their status as the dominant bull has been challenged.

My 2-cents.

jf
JohnFitzgerald

Postby GhostStalker » 08 16, 2012 •  [Post 5]

If you gonna be by yourself and you get a bull bugleing to you and he hangs up one thing you might try is if he hangs up and wont come any closer is stop calling and give him a little time to leave and once you figure he's about 1/4 mile away or so hit him with the nastyiest bugle you can and then run as fast as you can over to the last spot you heard him at and a lot of times they will come back to that spot as they are not afraid because they were just there and you will be in his living room.
GhostStalker

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: R

Postby Firemedicbkelly » 08 16, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Thanks for the tips everyone. These all sound like good tactics I hope I get a chance to use. I have been checking out Elknuts videos also so hopefully if it comes down to a calling situation I can make some noise they want to hear! Haha thanks again to all
Firemedicbkelly

First Name: Blake
Last Name: Kelly

Postby bowpackerrob » 08 16, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Mental toughness. Play the wind! Great to have you here, tons of information and good luck!
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby Sucobowhunter » 08 16, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Be confident in your calls!! All elk sound different..so if you "mess up" a call don't worry.. I have called in many elk by " messing up" calls..it's been overall a dry summer here in co so find a good water source and the elk will be close.. Have fun!!
Sucobowhunter

First Name: Jason
Last Name: Heney