Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Using Cow Calls For Location?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Using Cow Calls For Location?

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Who here uses Cow Calling as their locater call? ----There are times I will do this depending on how well I feel sound will travel in a particular area? Many times in the tick heavy stuff a cow sound is knocked down rather quickly but you never know, it does work at times! I've used the Re-gathering sound in many instances on high volume & in a repetitious manner of 8-10 of them in an excited fashion, it can & does produce results! The Estrus Buzz on high volume also has worked very well for us, when using as a locater we go to the lip bawl style buzz as it offers much more volume than just using your throat for closer encounters, we've had bulls respond from great distances with this sound! Using estrous type whines & getting radical with them can do well as the rut picks up. In many cases we will receive a response, when this happens we form a quick plan as what to do next, generally the elk are far out so we are not trying to call them to us, just getting their location!!!

These sounds can be used at waterholes, wallows, mineral licks & trails with effectiveness when not overdone, they can really peak curiosity of other elk!! How about you folks, what's been your experience?

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Using Cow Calls For Location?

Postby mattstanton » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I always start with cow calls because you never know if you are right on top of a herd.
mattstanton

Postby bullrub » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 3]

90% of my locater calling is cow calls. I hunt pole patchs and heavy timber, all i'm wanting to do is get the intrest of the elk in that small area. If i was to sound off with a locater bugle i would have every hunter in the area sound off and they would start hunting me. Over the years I have cut trails in the pole patches and heavy timber that lead to small waterholes and wallows. I have even made wallows in some of these places where the ground is marshy, but all the time thinking it was a waste of time. But to my surprise the elk started using some of them and have for years, after awhile of being used they turn into another waterhole and that is ok too. One thing i have learned over the years of hunting in the area i hunt is that early season most of the bulls come in with out making a sound, they are just checking out the cow calling to see what is going on.I can't count the number of time i have got up to move to another lacation to find a bull standing 20 or 30 yards away looking at me( I was a very slower :roll: ) So being patient is the key. One thing I might add is i do very soft and suttle cow calls. This type of calling has worked very well for me over the years. But I'm willing to try anything new if someone has something to add.I don't want to be a slow learner anymore.(I'm getting to old to waste time :lol: )
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby POk3s » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I use it all the time as well and mainly for the same reasons above....I don't want other hunters knowing where I'm at. Most of the time in the early part of September I stick to cow calling. I'll locate them and move in!
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby Fullabull » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I use cow sounds when I'm walking around from place to place, almost every year a bull will sound off who is close enough to hear it. It is usually a surprise when it happens but has found us elk when we least expected it.
Fullabull

First Name: Fred
Last Name: Talbot

Postby Spike elk » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Fullabull wrote:I use cow sounds when I'm walking around from place to place, almost every year a bull will sound off who is close enough to hear it. It is usually a surprise when it happens but has found us elk when we least expected it.

+1
Spike elk

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Smith

Postby T/H » 08 19, 2012 •  [Post 7]

after you locate with a cow call, what do you say or do next?
T/H