Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Just adding: closet missed shots

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Just adding: closet missed shots

Postby Lefty » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 1]

12 yards on a 6x6 as he was lip smacking, glunking and bugling with his head back, hit his G-4
Ive missed fox and coyotes with shotgun and a rifle just inches or feet off the barrel. trying to save the fur :roll:
Even true : I miss more geese under 20 yards than over 20 yards
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Just adding: closet missed shots

Postby bullrub » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Sad to say my closest miss was about 10 yds shooting down hill. Shot over his back, I don't even remember looking at my sight pins. The bull looked up at me and walked off.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby POk3s » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 3]

The only elk I missed was a long shot. I'm guessing 60. I snuck up on him as he was feeding by himself. I had him at 30, then he saw me, spun, and ran. I stopped him with cow calls and guessed for 50, arrow went right under him. I did miss an antelope at 24 yards my first year bowhunting when I was 15. Other then that I've missed tons of antelope with my bow. Much like the elk story, you sneak up so far only to be busted and no time to range, or they bust you but stop close.... or just plain miss lol. I also think I've hit more geese passed 20 yards then within 20
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby foxvalley » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 4]

My closest missed shot was at about 5 feet, and I thought I was going to die......

I shot this bull over a wallow opening morning in a tree stand. The shot was a little low,but still caught one lung.
He walked off about 40yds and tipped over. I could see him, and he landed in a slight depression with all 4 feet up in the air. Every few minutes his head would move just a little.After about 15 min. I decided to get down and finish him. BIG mistake.
I walked right up to him and started walking around him to get the angle. Yep, before I knew what was happening,this bull is stuggling to his feet,and all of a sudden he is standing right, I mean right next to me,looking down at me I swear not more that 5 feet away. I'm looking up,and he is looking down.Where he stood up, there was a thick bush covering his entire vitals,but I was getting really scared,cuz he wasn't moving,and he didn't looked that afraid of me,as a matter of fact, I think he was getting mad. I thought even at this range,I should be able to shoot thru the bush...not...the arrow veered up and caught the skin on top of his back,then he left, thank god,without running me over. I never did find that bull.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby planebow » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I had a bull jump up from almost under my feet last year, I stopped him with my voice but the way he took off I though he was futher away than he was and shot righ over his back. After settling down I checked the distance which was only 20 yards
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby Spike elk » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 6]

One of my first years bow hunting I missed a raghorn broadside at 18 yards. Shot right oer it's back. My buddy asked me what pin I used. I grinned and said all of them! Gotta love elk fever!
Spike elk

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Smith

Postby T/H » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 7]

i'd rather not talk about it thank you very much
T/H

Postby easeup » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 8]

ha ha.....I am glad that one is behind me.

but it went something on the line like....my first ever elk hunt and a raghorn directly up toward me and I shot AT him at about 23 yds.
the shot was so bad, I do not know where my arrow went. turned around and trotter about 15 yds a looked at me. I am dumbfounded.
he laughed and went his way. Do you think my eyes were closed when I released that arrow?
easeup

Postby Fulldraw » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Spike elk wrote:One of my first years bow hunting I missed a raghorn broadside at 18 yards. Shot right oer it's back. My buddy asked me what pin I used. I grinned and said all of them! Gotta love elk fever!

I am still smiling about that one...I laughed out loud. :D
Fulldraw

First Name: Danny
Last Name: Bullock

Postby elkchaser503 » 08 16, 2012 •  [Post 10]

11 yards on a 320+ bull.... that shot stil haunts me to this day. What made it worse was my best friend and hunting buddy was up on the ridge looking down into the draw i was working the bull and got to see the whole thing... there are two things that I remember is watching the bull almost hit the ground to duck my arrow and the other is listening to the laughter roll down the caynon as my buddy was laughing his head off.... I think i might of said a few choice words to him after i gathered myself but most of that is just a blurr...
elkchaser503

Postby shooter21 » 08 16, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Hard to to miss at 10 yards but when your arrow hits the top of a little spruce tree at 3 yards it tends to head to the top of the big trees :D
shooter21

First Name: vincent
Last Name: lopez

Postby louisianafulldraw » 08 16, 2012 •  [Post 12]

The first and only time I shoot at at and elk was at 40yrds and shoot over his back. Thiking of getting a Bushnell ARC 1000 for this year. Anyone try this yet? This will be my seventh year and realy love the hunt.
louisianafulldraw

First Name: carroll
Last Name: Stains

Postby Spike elk » 08 16, 2012 •  [Post 13]

louisianafulldraw wrote:The first and only time I shoot at at and elk was at 40yrds and shoot over his back. Thiking of getting a Bushnell ARC 1000 for this year. Anyone try this yet? This will be my seventh year and realy love the hunt.

I use this range finder and in steep country it makes a difference. For example I killed a cow that was at 72 yards but with the arc rangefinder it ranged at 60 yards. I made a good shot and meat in the freezer!
Spike elk

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Smith

Postby Bullnuts » 08 17, 2012 •  [Post 14]

5 feet as well. I didn't take the shot since the bull was below me and facing me with his head down. I was at full draw and when he finally spun on me after about 30 seconds, he surprised me - yea, he scared the crap outa me - and I hit the trigger and shot a nice Pope and Young pine tree behind him.
Bullnuts

Postby dreamhunter » 08 17, 2012 •  [Post 15]

I have one and compared it with my nikon last year while out in the field. There is a difference between this one and my regular nikon.I wanna be sure when i take the shot. I don't want a story of missed shots.I wanna post a KILL SHOT
dreamhunter

First Name: Holly
Last Name: Paugh

Postby Freebird134 » 08 19, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Bullnuts wrote: nice Pope and Young pine tree behind him.

Those just don't grill up as nice as venison backstraps, do they :)
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Bullnuts » 08 20, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Freebird134 wrote:
Bullnuts wrote: nice Pope and Young pine tree behind him.

Those just don't grill up as nice as venison backstraps, do they :)

Nope, and they suck on the grill, too.
Bullnuts