Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

3 man wolfpack

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

3 man wolfpack

Postby Charkbait » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 1]

How do ya'llhunt with 3 guys, ever hunt together or generally split off solo? I have visions of great times calling and getting video for each other but also visions of elk busting out all over from the added complexity and stench! Is everyone the shooter? What are the "rules" and how does it work?

Thanks in advance!
Ben
Charkbait

Re: 3 man wolfpack

Postby N5J » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 2]

We do this:

1) We setup with the wind in our faces in a triangle: 1 caller 2 shooters primary BUT all need to be ready to shoot if the bulls works around us.
2) Shooters are out front/seperated 30 to 40 yard apart. We setup decoys behind the shooters ahead/by the caller.
3) Caller is setup behind heavy cover so they can rake and move around without being seen.
4) If we need to move...we move ahead all to together 20 to 30 yards at a time. Depending on terrain or cover the caller may stay behind calling while the 2 shooters keep moving ahead. If necessary one of the shooter will stay behind cow calling with the other slowly moving ahead/setting up for a shot.

We figure if the wind switches and they get your scent, it doesn't matter if there is one hunter or three...your busted anyway!

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby erictski » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I too would like to know more options. this is how we are going this season also. we have 2 hunters and 1 caller. but i am unsure how to set up like this or if it is best to just have 1 primary shooter and two callers
erictski

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I've used the three person hunting method before with some success, but, bowhunting elk during the rut with three hunters together is difficult at best. Just hunting with one caller/one shooter requires a great deal of concentrated skill and timing. Both have to be on the same page and communiate during the situation with non verbal methods (visually keeping track of each other, understood hand signals), not to mention the complete understanding of what each other is doing and why during any elk encounter. With three folks, this becomes very complicated. I've had three guys in my hunting camp before but we very seldom hunt three at a time. Usually, one guy will hunt solo and the other two will hunt together. Just my thoughts. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Damn, I thought I had the name "Wolf Pack" patented! My 3 man crew does something very similar to N5J's crew. We always hunt the triangle but never use a decoy. Also, we all try to get in the best cover we can. The tail of the triangle is the lead caller but the other two can pick it up if the bull comes in from a wierd angle. The most import thing is the caller is the quaterback. The shooters never move until he gives the ok. At times, I like to retreat away from the bull giving cows sounds as I go. Never had a bull come charging after me but sometimes the bull will come the extra 20+ yards so the shooters can get the shot. Also, the triangle works very well for cold call setups and not just Run & Gun tactics.

My 2-Cents

jf
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Spike elk » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 6]

We hunt in a pack of three and have done it for several years. We are relatively successful every year. We mostly cow call with each of us using several different cow calls. I think we do a pretty good job of sounding like a herd of elk. In fact we have called in on a couple of occasions complete other herds. Then it gets crazy. I am not in the class of calling that several of you are and am not sure what we are saying with our calls, but we have had some pretty good luck with it. The thing is with three callers everyone needs to be ready because even though we are trying to get the 'shooter' the shot often one of the callers is the one that gets the elk in his lap.
Spike elk

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Smith

Postby GhostStalker » 08 16, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I usually only hunt with one other guy but this year we got a rookie third so will be somewhere between a wolf pack and the three stooges
GhostStalker

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: R

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 17, 2012 •  [Post 8]

LOL!!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Jahnke76 » 08 17, 2012 •  [Post 9]

GhostStalker wrote:I usually only hunt with one other guy but this year we got a rookie third so will be somewhere between a wolf pack and the three stooges

I think we have the three stooges covered. Only one guy of the three of us has been elk hunting and that was rifle season. The other two of us are complete greenhorns so it should be interesting. we talked about the triangle and will likely go that route.
Jahnke76