Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Stopping an Elk after the shot

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Stopping an Elk after the shot

Postby idahoghost » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Here's the question...what is the best call to use to stop an (bull and/or cow) elk after the shot?

I know Paul will stop the elk (walking or movement) with a nervous grunt (I think I am correct here) to stop the the bull to take the shot, but what call do you use after the shot to stop or slow the animal down. How about with a cow?
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Re: Stopping an Elk after the shot

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I use the nervous grunt to slow or stop elk(hit or not). Last year my crew and I bumped a nice 5 point bull and as he started to run off I gave the nervous grunt followed by a short scream. He stopped dead in his tracks at 40 yards from my shooter, turned broadside and looked at us. Wish I had a camera, because my shooter missed! :shock:
JohnFitzgerald

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I always do 3 or 4 cow calls. The reeds in my mouth, and it has been automatic for several years. Don't even think about it, it just happens. I've had several bulls stop, turn and start walking back in my direction and fall over facing me.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby Bullnuts » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I give three or four squeels AS I draw, which seems to pin the bull right in his tracks, and then after the shot I'll do it a few more times. They never seem to go too far.
Bullnuts

Postby LckyTylr » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Thanks for the reminder about this, I need to start putting my reed in while I'm practicing. One thing that I'm really good at while shooting is controlling my breathing, even when my heart is thundering, i can settle myself for just a few seconds until the shot when all hell breaks loose and the knees start knocking. Having a reed in my mouth ready to sooth a bull is going to take some getting used to.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby one_elk » 08 10, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Just don’t leave a piece of your reed stickin out of your mouth where your bow string can catch it, I am here to tell you it a uncomfortable surprise
one_elk

Postby Bullnuts » 08 10, 2012 •  [Post 7]

one_elk wrote:Just don’t leave a piece of your reed stickin out of your mouth where your bow string can catch it, I am here to tell you it a uncomfortable surprise

Good observation but for another reason! I actually had a bull at 20 yards once, and had the the reed sticking out of my mouth as I was attempting to catch my breath. We were in a stare down, with the bull facing me, and I figured I'd better get the reed back in position just in case. I flipped the reed back into my mouth with my tongue and the movement was just enough to spook the bull. Now when I have a bull coming in, that reed stays firmly in place on the roof of my mouth.
Bullnuts

Postby tracker12 » 08 10, 2012 •  [Post 8]

I think if I saw you looking at me and sticking your tounge out I would run to. :lol:
tracker12

Postby pointysticks » 08 10, 2012 •  [Post 9]

my mouth gets bone dry at the moment of truth.

it does with a turkey..and elk? zeesh..it will be a desert.

i love this forum..you guys are getting me riled up BAD!!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Bullnuts » 08 10, 2012 •  [Post 10]

tracker12 wrote:I think if I saw you looking at me and sticking your tounge out I would run to. :lol:

;)
Bullnuts

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 11, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Yep, the Nervous/Popping Grunt is responsible for more elk taking an arrow during moment of truth than any other sound for us! The sound can be done with ones voice, no call is needed. Of course the sound can be done with a mouth reed as well, you do not need a bugle tube to perform it either!

The reason this is our sound of choice is because it asks an "action" of elk! A cow sound ask nothing, it simply means there's an elk there! The nervous grunt asks for a visual or indemnification from other elk, this is why it anchors them immediately when heard by them. This is important when hunting thick timber or very brushy country where a small window may be needed for a kill shot!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby idahoghost » 08 11, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Paul, would you use it after the shot as well?
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 12, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Yes we have, we've also followed it up with cow sounds trying to slow up or calm the elk down!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 12, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Just a word of caution when using the popping grunt or nervous bark as I call it. This is a call that has worked 100% of the time for me to make an elk put on the brakes for the shot. But be aware that you need to be ready when you use it as he will, in many cases, be looking right at you. Especially at close bowhunting range. They have that uncanny ability to know exactly where the sound is coming from.

If you are lucky enough to stop them before the shot with their head behind a bush or tree, you have it made. If not, be ready as they will most likely be looking for you and right at you.

To be honest with you, I've never used it (after) the shot, only before. It just seemed easier for me to give out a series of cow mews after the shot. But I'm sure it would work. I suppose I just never thought quick enough to try it. LOL!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby bowpackerrob » 08 12, 2012 •  [Post 15]

I usually cow call right after the shot, probably just because it has worked before. I will definitely try or hope to try the nervous grunt this fall.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Just make sure your shot is a good one, that's the bottom line here! We've called after the shot but we've also said nothing after the shot on 1/2 the kills. If it comes to mind to do so, do it, if not don't sweat it, a kill shot is a kill shot. Yes, it's nice to slow them down as every second they're standing or walking can cut down tracking distance but it's not an end all. I just don't want to see newer hunters get too caught up in worrying about calling after they shot & not concentrate enough on the shot itself! Good luck guys & gals!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby foxvalley » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 17]

ElkNut1 wrote:Just make sure your shot is a good one, that's the bottom line here! We've called after the shot but we've also said nothing after the shot on 1/2 the kills. If it comes to mind to do so, do it, if not don't sweat it, a kill shot is a kill shot. Yes, it's nice to slow them down as every second they're standing or walking can cut down tracking distance but it's not an end all. I just don't want to see newer hunters get too caught up in worrying about calling after they shot & not concentrate enough on the shot itself! Good luck guys & gals!!

ElkNut1

Paul, I love the nervous grunt,as I don't need anything in my mouth to do it,and with practice,my dogs go crazy, as they thinks it's a real animal.

How close is too close do you think where a guy should just shoot and not try and stop an elk for fear of spooking him?
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby Bullnuts » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 18]

ElkNut1 wrote:Just make sure your shot is a good one, that's the bottom line here! We've called after the shot but we've also said nothing after the shot on 1/2 the kills. If it comes to mind to do so, do it, if not don't sweat it, a kill shot is a kill shot. Yes, it's nice to slow them down as every second they're standing or walking can cut down tracking distance but it's not an end all. I just don't want to see newer hunters get too caught up in worrying about calling after they shot & not concentrate enough on the shot itself! Good luck guys & gals!!

ElkNut1

Good point Paul. A well hit elk won't go far. The majority of mine have fallen within sight.
Bullnuts

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Personally, I do not like to shoot at a moving/walking elk! I allow the elk to go by my eye sight line, then draw & give the sound at the exact time. If the elk comes into range & is looking for the source of sounds that drew him there & I had no time to draw or am drawn but bad shot angle is presented I then allow elk to re-position & once he's where I have a window then I stop him there for the shot! If elk comes in looking for source of sounds & is in range & doesn't like what he sees I then wait for him to turn to leave, once he turns away, I draw & give nervous grunt instantly, this has stopped the bull 100% of the time! I NEVER give this grunt when he's staring at us, his head must be turned or the element of surprise is not there!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby T/H » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 20]

I second the motion for making a great shot. If the shot is true he will be down in ear shot or in site
T/H

Postby Spike elk » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 21]

I have had a mixed bag with stopping elk after the shot. On one bull I called back after a poor shot and my brother then put a great shot into him. (Double Lung) I cow called after the second shot and he kept coming until partner number 2 stuck him with a low shot in the chest that took out his heart. I called again and the bull took a couple of more steps in my direction and collapsed. On the other hand on a different occasion partner number 2 made a great heart shot at the top of a steep draw. The bull just stood there....until I cow called. He then took off at a dead run straight down the slope. He was dead after a couple of steps but then tumbled head over tea kettle until he hung up on a tree in the very bottom. I still catch crap for that one.
Spike elk

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Smith

Postby Bullnuts » 08 18, 2012 •  [Post 22]

I called a cow in for a young hunter one morning. He made a great double lung shot on her when she was at 10 yards and I cow called immediately. The cow stopped, put her head down, and actually started feeding! We're sitting there watching blood pour out of her chest and she's just kind of chewing along and stood there for another 30 seconds before she just fell over dead. She never moved more than a couple feet after she was shot and I cow called and she died right there. Very cool moment.
Bullnuts