Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Are you ready to put an elk's nose in the dirt?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Have you researched your area (whether old or new... confirming you can get to your trailhead considering any road washouts), maps in hand, GPS loaded, have you practiced your calling to where you can belt out each necessary sound that's called for in various situations (not necessarily perfect, but effective), do you mostly understand what elk sounds mean when your hear them (and how you should respond, or not respond), is your gear dialed in, do you have your chow plan for the duration of your hunt ready, is your time off from work approved, are you close to being in elk woods shape, are you confident with your bow out to XX yards with broadheads? After many years of doing this (ask Mrs. RJ), I go through the same ritual every year... it's always the same. I'm ready, are you? It's getting close friends and I wish each and every one of you the best of luck this elking season. Lookng forward to seeing some pics and/or hearing your accounts of your adventures in the high country after we all return. It's been a long off season. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Are you ready to put an elk's nose in the dirt?

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Same ritual here. I know it's getting close when I can't sleep at night. It's 3:30 am right now. The mind is churning 24/7 wondering what am I forgetting. For the 1st time in 15 years, I am taking 2 friends with me. I've been meeting my regular hunting buddies from Texas for 25 years in Colorado. For some reason this year everyone wants to go. My routine has changed a little, since I feel pressured to make sure the 2 new guys are equipped and ready for there 1st elk hunt. 2 more friends from my local archery shop are coming out a week later. My hunting strategy has also been altered. Instead of holding out for a good bull, I may shoot the 1st decent bull early, so I can concentrate on helping everyone else get there 1st elk. 4 years ago I let 5 different branch antlered bulls walk waiting for a certain bull. 1 was a nice 5x5 at 8 yds. Came home with a empty freezer.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby easeup » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 3]

yes sir!
I'm ready.
easeup

Postby foxvalley » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Phantom16 wrote:Have you researched your area (whether old or new... confirming you can get to your trailhead considering any road washouts), maps in hand, GPS loaded, have you practiced your calling to where you can belt out each necessary sound that's called for in various situations (not necessarily perfect, but effective), do you mostly understand what elk sounds mean when your hear them (and how you should respond, or not respond), is your gear dialed in, do you have your chow plan for the duration of your hunt ready, is your time off from work approved, are you close to being in elk woods shape, are you confident with your bow out to XX yards with broadheads? After many years of doing this (ask Mrs. RJ), I go through the same ritual every year... it's always the same. I'm ready, are you? It's getting close friends and I wish each and every one of you the best of luck this elking season. Lookng forward to seeing some pics and/or hearing your accounts of your adventures in the high country after we all return. It's been a long off season. RJ

Thanks Phantom, and good luck to you and everyone else out there leaving soon. It's been a very long off season,and I'm really exited,and even more so for my bro-in-law who couldn't go last year,can't imagine having to miss a year. He is jacked!! Almost ready,have a while before we leave.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby Lefty » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I could have everything in the truck in 5 minutes,.. yep Im ready :mrgreen:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby POk3s » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 6]

nope

jk ;)

Good luck out there everyone! At work I'm by a bunch of horses....been going over shot angles, shot placement, and yardage estimations in my head. I may have a problem.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby dotman » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I'm always ready! :) prepared as well as I would like to be, never.
dotman

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 8]

TTT.. Are you ready? Are you ready to turn it on within a few short weeks? Have you practiced your nervous/popping grunts or elongated cow sounds to stop the beast in his tracks as he turns away when he suspects something may be a bit wrong? Have you put your field points away in your gear box and are only shooting your BHs out to XX yards to ensure you hit what you shoot at? Are you increasing the weight in your pack and furthering the distance you hike each evening to get into elkwoods shape? Is the homefront close to being locked down and any potential distractors thwarted prior to your departure (all maintenance on the house/property done) so your significant other doesn't have issues when you're gone? It's just around the corner friends 8-)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby dreamingbig » 08 10, 2012 •  [Post 9]

All good reminders. I am close to being ready. My OCD causes the process to be a little longer than I would like. Pack, tent, sleeping bag/pad, clothes, stove, food, and miscellaneous gear is all ready and in a pile. But it needs to be packed and checked off the list. Still need to wash and treat boots.
dreamingbig

Postby Lefty » 08 10, 2012 •  [Post 10]

ooopps Im ready my gears ready

Do I know elk sounds?,.. mostly yes,.. Do I know how to respond correcttly!,.. No On paper I would get it mostly right, But not in the field :oops:
I plan to sit in front of the TV a few more hours with my calls. Also good daddy daughter time,.. She plans to hunt elk a few times with me
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Jahnke76 » 08 10, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I would like to think Im ready. Realisticly im nly half ready. My gear is all ready and tested. I am shooting better than ever lately. I definately wish I had more time to get into better shape though. I didnt even get half way to my goals in that department. I hope my calling will be sufficient and knowledge of when is improving everyday. I think as long as I can drag my sorry rear up the mountains Im good to go. Im really looking forward to torturing myself with a very heavy pack of meat in a few weeks.
Jahnke76

Postby slim9300 » 08 11, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Born ready. :)

In all seriousness I have been prepping since last December when elk #2 hit the dirt. I have always had a bit of a "problem" but this year I may have started a bit early. It has been a long wait.
slim9300

Postby T/H » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 13]

:D
T/H

Postby mongopino915 » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 14]

I am ready but August 25th will have to wait after a quick boating trip to Lake Powell this weekend with the wife/daughter. It's hard to play/fish on the water when all I think about is elk. :roll:
mongopino915

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 15]

mongo, don't tell the family that!!!! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Charkbait » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Ready to go today but dont fly until the 17th so lots of time to get better, stronger legs, better shooting ect.

Dialed back my workouts to what is most effective and least likely to cause an injury, starting to shift preparation hours to calling and shooting and away from the weights (but not totally) and holding cardio/pack work steady for the next 4 weeks. Booze is on the way out here soon!
Charkbait

Postby Sucobowhunter » 08 14, 2012 •  [Post 17]

I'm pretty much ready.. Packed my camp in this weekend.. Saw about 10 elk just were I hoped they would be.. A little worried tho, I blew my ankle pretty bad a month ago ang the 9 mile in/out hike def worked my cardio a little.. Hopefully can get better the next 2 weeks.. Good luck all!! May all our arrows fly straight and our bugles sound good!!
Sucobowhunter

First Name: Jason
Last Name: Heney

Postby 32hunter » 08 15, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Almost ready but wont finish till the week i go. Aug 30 is the day we pull out but will still be doing last minute stuff that morning. The pack is ready, bow is shooting great. have a couple extra items still comming in the mail. All in all its comming together nicely. 10 days in the elk woods is heaven to me and im looking forward to every min. My cousin finally drew his first Elk tag after five years of trying and it just happened to be in the same unit and same hunt as me. Im more excited about him having his first encounter with i big bull than i am about me getting a chance to kill. have another buddy hunting with me who is hunting elk for the first time with a bow. it is getting close and they are calling me every day now with last minute questions and just to talk elk. this is part of the fun of elk hunting the build up to the hunt then the feeling that you have forgot a key piece of gear once u are on the road. Then getting there and remembering what u forgot (last time tent poles lol). I cant wait it cant get here soon enough. Good luck everyone!!!!!!!!!!!
32hunter

First Name: Kurt
Last Name: Griego