Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

scent drippers

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

scent drippers

Postby WillyP » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Anyone one on here tried or know anyone that has tried them and had good or bad or no results. I swear they have worked for me on whitetails but elk move a LOT and I'm not sure it's worth it.
WillyP

First Name: William
Last Name: Comer

Re: scent drippers

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I've never tried them but you never know? As a runner & gunner they would not be needed hardly at all. A scent in spray form now could make a difference!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 3]

ElkNut1 wrote:I've never tried them but you never know? As a runner & gunner they would not be needed hardly at all. A scent in spray form now could make a difference!

ElkNut1

I agree with Paul, I never used them. I concentrate more on cover up scents and on occasion, I will set up with a decoy. I would be a little concerned if I put a dripper near my favorite wallow and the the bull spooked from it. But as Paul said, you never know.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby WillyP » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I have never witnessed a bad reaction to a dripper with deer but I have been able to switch a buck over from coming to the area at night to daytime visits.The way they work is on a pressure change due to temperatures changing . They draw in air at a cold temp and push as they warm. I loop in the drip line keeps the scent in until temps warm. I have had times when it warms at night and gets cold in the day make the drippers work backwards to the way I want but that is the only down side I've experienced with them. As far as cover scents go. Have you ever seen a drug or bomb dog work ? It can smell a "hit" in 100 gallons of gas. An animal can smell the cover scent and you . If I can get a bull to come in an hour sooner or stay a little later it's all I can ask of elk using an area daily. I'll likely give it a try if I can get them in an area daily like last year.
WillyP

First Name: William
Last Name: Comer