Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

how to?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

how to?

Postby mandrroofing » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 1]

When your following a herd of elk in Colorado and your far from camp,how do you let your Buddy's know that your staying out the night so you don't lose the herd.So they dont get worried?FYI i ahve never need elk hunting before...
mandrroofing

First Name: Matt

Re: how to?

Postby elkohalic » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I always let guys in camp know not to worry about me till the next night. If I'm not back by then start looking. I have been known to come strolling into camp around 2 am LOL !!
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby Harmy » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 3]

This year I plan to stay out all night on more than one occasion. I will show my partners approximately where I plan to be travelling on a map with coordinates to specific water holes I plan to visit. If I don't show up for two consecutive nights then something is likley wrong and they should come find me.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 4]

We have a standard policy for safety reasons in our group. If one of us is not back by 11;00 pm, we go looking for them. We are to old for the hard core staying out all night stuff anyway. As a general rule, if your following elk up til dark, they will be in that general area the next morning anyway, as long as you did not spook them. I would return to camp and get up earlier and return to that spot at daylight. Ive left numerous bulls screaming at sunset, went back the next morning and picked right back up where we left off the night before.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby mongopino915 » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 5]

We have no plans to stay overnight. If the guys are not back by 9:00 P.M., we expect meat packing. If the guys are not back by 11:00 P.M., it's not cool and time to start the search.
mongopino915

Postby one_elk » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Our rule is 24 hours, if you are not back within 24 hours of when you said you would be we start looking at next daylight
one_elk