Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How many calls?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How many calls?

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Just out of curiosity, how many diaphram elk calls do you guys go through in a years time?

Personally, I can make a call last three years. And I blow the heck out of them. I usually carry several with me when hunting. Raging Bull, Herd Master, and Scream N Tormentor. And I may try the Estrus Excited this year. But each call will last me for a long while. I hear of many guys blowing them out in no time at all. So I was just wondering what is the difference between me getting up to three years out of one and other guys going through several calls a year?

As I said, I really get on my calls. Use them often, and get plenty of volume out of them. Nothing better than getting in a screamin match with a bull elk. I've never blown one out that I got from Elknut yet. The only failure has been after about the third year, they just seem to die of old age. LOL!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: How many calls?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 2]

A year easily if not more out of my diaphrams.. I have one type for bull noises (double) and one for cow noises (triple).. both are made by Berry game calls.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby eltaco » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I probably blow through mine too quickly. I've been on the same one since January-Ish, but it's noticeably softer than a new one now. I might only use one all season, but I like to have spares, just in case. I find that keeping one in my mouth at all times seems to wear them down faster.

I usually have three on me each day. One full rut in my mouth, a spare and a herd master in a case.

I know the way I call hammers them. On cow sounds I find that I'm stabbing with my tongue more than I'm just balling up the center. I don't know how some of you guys touch your tongue to your lower teeth and flex it into the latex... but I'm sure that's easier on them
eltaco

Postby mattstanton » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I go through mine quick. They are in my mouth all day, every day from about june through october. They seem to de-laminate at the back of the daiphram on me or come the adhesive on the front of the frame comes loose. I always have 2 of each extra in my pack while I hunt.
mattstanton

Postby N5J » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 5]

If I can stop chewing on them when I get nervious...they'll last a long time. :D I have some that are 3+ years old also. I always which out calls often then rinse them with clear water when done and keep them in the fridge.

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I go thru more than I should, but I am pretty rough on them. First I have to bend and shape them to fit my pallot to get the shape and sounds I like. I have a high pallot and shaping them can get costly. I get maybe 3 out of 5 to the shape and sound I like and throw a couple away from over shapeing them. I also chew on the corner a lot because it is in my mouth all day. I carry 5 reeds while hunting and 2 cow calls. One open reed and one bite down. On a good year when the bulls are talking, I will blow out 3 or 4. I put a lot of tongue pressure when I get into a good screaming match. Currently in my gear box I have 16 new reeds and about a dozen left over from last year. I am the only caller in our group of 5.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby Buglemaster » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I know I have calls that are at least 3 years old & quite possibly older.I'll change em up during the day just for a different sound. Like others, I have a reed in my mouth nearly all day long. It took years for me to get past the constant practicing & the realization that I would be sleeping in the doghouse if I did'nt "stop it RIGHT now"!!Kinda funny how that intense pleading call does absolutly nothing for a 5'6" little blonde... :(
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby mongopino915 » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Use mostly the Raging Bull and Scream/Tormentor and go through a couple of each/year. Like CrazyElkHunter stated, sometimes I end up throwing some new diaphragms away due to trying to make it just right.
mongopino915

Postby easeup » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I have 4 in my pocket when hunting. I dont practice that much with them and so they will easily last 4 yrs for me.
to keep from chewing them up I carry them in my pocket unless I am into elk.
easeup

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I generally carry 2 calls with me in the woods! This year will be the Raging Bull & Closer reeds! These two will last a hard month of elk hunting as long as I don't leave them in the sun/exposed heat or lose them!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby POk3s » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I honestly don't know how long mine last....I order new ones every year. I remember which calls I like from year to year and just buy 'em new. I've had some destroyed in one trip. Had a call I really liked a few years ago, and it was in my mouth almost every waking second for 4 straight days. Basically treated the corner like gum....I've since tried to quit the habit so my calls last longer.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby wapitibowman » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 12]

One season for me. One is always in my mouth while hunting.

Does anyone have any experience with the Stevel Chappell series Bugling Bull reeds? If so, what's the difference than the normal reeds?
wapitibowman

First Name: R
Last Name: E

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Wapiti, the Closer & the Excited Estrus carry Steve's name on them, they are very good calls! The Closer is what I use as my goto call in my mouth at all times, it gives some of the best cow sounds as well as estrus buzz that I've ever used! You can see them on our Site under Elk Calls!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 14]

I too chew on mine and usually go through one per season.

jf
JohnFitzgerald

Postby bowpackerrob » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 15]

I usually keep 3 in my call case, and 3 extra in my pack in case I lose my case in the woods. I am probably overly cautious but when u drive a 1000 miles to elk hunt for 2 weeks, why take a chance on an old call. If i lived in God's country like many of you where I could hunt elk alot more, I might take that chance!! lol I buy new ones every year and practice with last years calls til right before i leave then I break out the new ones.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby Bullnuts » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 16]

I always have a call in my mouth and it's usually the sweetest one in my arsenal. It always seems like I'll have just one or two that sound just right and one stays in my pocket and the other in my mouth. It always seems like I have to break a call in before it sounds just right, so I'll also have a few in camp that I work on until they start sounding right.
Bullnuts

Postby Elktracker » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 17]

I buy new ones every year, as cheap as they are I want them to be in good shape when I need them to make noise! I always have one in my mouth when Im hunting and do allot of calling at times :D

Josh
Elktracker

Postby elkaholic » 08 09, 2012 •  [Post 18]

I usually get 2 years out of mine. However I always carry a spare just in case I lose it. Also storing them in the frig during the off season really helps with the longevity.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby shooter21 » 08 12, 2012 •  [Post 19]

I have 4 to 5 on me and the same at home i try and break in a few calls through out the year new one just dont seem to work as good as one that has some use on it .
shooter21

First Name: vincent
Last Name: lopez