Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Colorado Sidearms

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Colorado Sidearms

Postby HurricaneHuge » 08 07, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Wondering if anyone could tell me about the rules of carrying a pistol into wilderness areas in Colorado. Definitely considering having one with me, wanted to know the laws regarding this or if I need any permits ahead of time? Thanks in advance.
HurricaneHuge

Re: Colorado Sidearms

Postby Jahnke76 » 08 07, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I was told and somebody please correct me if Im wrong, But you can carry a handgun open or concealed if you are hunting.
Jahnke76

Postby Miller1 » 08 07, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I know you can carry open but i believe you need a permit to carry concealed even when hunting.
Miller1

First Name: Rick
Last Name: Miller

Postby Buglemaster » 08 07, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Pretty shure you need a cwp to cary consealed, but you are allowed to cary a side arm for protection. Where guys get into trouble is using it to dispatch an archery shot animal.I'm also not shure about the concealed weapon??
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby dotman » 08 07, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Yes you can open carry but HAVE to have a permit if concealed. So don't put it in your pack!
dotman

Postby Jahnke76 » 08 07, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Well here is what I found.
(3) (a) A person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following circumstances without obtaining a permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed:

(I) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense; or

(II) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is legally engaged in hunting activities within the state.

(b) The provisions of this subsection (3) shall not be construed to authorize the carrying of a handgun in violation of the provisions of section 18-12-105 or 18-12-105.5.
Jahnke76

Postby HurricaneHuge » 08 07, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Good info! Looks like according to the second ruling it doesn't matter if the gun is packed or open carry. I may be wrong on that. Of course I can't imagine it not being on my hip/outside of the pack if I have it along anyways.
HurricaneHuge

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 07, 2012 •  [Post 8]

[quote="dotman"]Yes you can open carry but HAVE to have a permit if concealed. So don't put it in your pack![/quote
Minimum barrel length 4 inches, minimum caliber .24 (6 mm) also only weapon that doe's not have to be unloaded on a OHV and not concealed in a case. Open carry.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby T/H » 08 07, 2012 •  [Post 9]

i will have my .44 mag on my side when i'm in CO backcountry
T/H

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I have had 2 close encounters with bears in the last 7 years. Both were my fault. I have a habit of checking out squawking ravens knowing they are on a dead animal. Sometimes a lost nice bull or buck from a bad shot earlier in the week from other hunters. 1st one I walked in on a sow with 2 cubs at 12 yards. Cubs turned and ran and the sow charged me. I braced for the hit by putting my bow in front of me. She stopped at 2 steps, turned and ran off. 2nd one was last year when I heard limbs breaking from the trail behind me about 20yds where I just came out of thick trees and brush. I ran back to check it out and was faced by a sow and 1 cub at 10feet. She was snapping and huffing like crazy. A sound I had on only heard and seen on TV. About that time a 2nd cub jumped out of the tree I was standing next too, over my head and onto the ground. Scared the crap out of me. All 3 ran off. Both encounters, there would have been no time for bear spray or a firearm. :shock:
CrazyElkHunter

Postby eltaco » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 11]

CrazyElkHunter wrote:I have had 2 close encounters with bears in the last 7 years. Both were my fault. I have a habit of checking out squawking ravens knowing they are on a dead animal. Sometimes a lost nice bull or buck from a bad shot earlier in the week from other hunters. 1st one I walked in on a sow with 2 cubs at 12 yards. Cubs turned and ran and the sow charged me. I braced for the hit by putting my bow in front of me. She stopped at 2 steps, turned and ran off. 2nd one was last year when I heard limbs breaking from the trail behind me about 20yds where I just came out of thick trees and brush. I ran back to check it out and was faced by a sow and 1 cub at 10feet. She was snapping and huffing like crazy. A sound I had on only heard and seen on TV. About that time a 2nd cub jumped out of the tree I was standing next too, over my head and onto the ground. Scared the crap out of me. All 3 ran off. Both encounters, there would have been no time for bear spray or a firearm. :shock:

I hope you didn't have a long walk back to camp after pooping yourself!
eltaco

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 12]

eltaco wrote:
CrazyElkHunter wrote:I have had 2 close encounters with bears in the last 7 years. Both were my fault. I have a habit of checking out squawking ravens knowing they are on a dead animal. Sometimes a lost nice bull or buck from a bad shot earlier in the week from other hunters. 1st one I walked in on a sow with 2 cubs at 12 yards. Cubs turned and ran and the sow charged me. I braced for the hit by putting my bow in front of me. She stopped at 2 steps, turned and ran off. 2nd one was last year when I heard limbs breaking from the trail behind me about 20yds where I just came out of thick trees and brush. I ran back to check it out and was faced by a sow and 1 cub at 10feet. She was snapping and huffing like crazy. A sound I had on only heard and seen on TV. About that time a 2nd cub jumped out of the tree I was standing next too, over my head and onto the ground. Scared the crap out of me. All 3 ran off. Both encounters, there would have been no time for bear spray or a firearm. :shock:

I hope you didn't have a long walk back to camp after pooping yourself!

I was going to put that in, but too much information. :oops:
CrazyElkHunter

Postby HurricaneHuge » 08 08, 2012 •  [Post 13]

God Bless Wet Wipes.
HurricaneHuge

Postby dreamhunter » 08 12, 2012 •  [Post 14]

bear spray is probably the best defense,when you disperse the product a huge plume will rush towards the animal stopping it in it's tracks and allow you time to leave the area. Just make sure the wind is behind you or you booth get it.A pistol is still a good idea to have with you.Sometimes the verman walk on two legs.
dreamhunter

First Name: Holly
Last Name: Paugh