Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How to Debone an Elk - Gutless Method.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

How to Debone an Elk - Gutless Method.

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Thought some of you folks would like to see a very good video on deboning without gutting an elk. This is very similar to how I do it with a few variations. Aron Snyder put a very good video up on Outdoor Life sometime back that I just found while digging around on the internet. It certainly appears that it may be a hot September 2012 so the quicker you get your elk deboned and into game bags cooling in the shade, the better. Mr. Snyder said it takes him just a bit over an hour by himself but it can be done quite a bit quicker than that with two guys working on it. Hope this helps some of our new elk hunters. Enjoy!

WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: How to Debone an Elk - Gutless Method.

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 05, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I hear a lot about it, but never tried it. I am old school, and like to get the elk cooled down as soon as possible. I only hunt during the archery season, and it is usually warm, so getting the guts out is very important in the cooling process. 22 of the 25 elk I have shot, I was solo hunting, so I would always gut the elk, get a few sticks under it if I could, sprinkle the chili powder where needed, and go for help. Gutless may be a little cleaner and faster, but you know the old saying " If it ain't broke, don't fix it" ;)
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 05, 2012 •  [Post 3]

It's a bit different than we do it but it gets the job done!!!

We've used the gutless now going on 20 years, we do all deer, elk, pronghorn this way! It works great! The only time I've gutted was when I was by myself & had to leave the elk overnight! Gutless is great & is all we use these days!

I guess I'd better join the ranks & do a Gutless video too! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby dotman » 08 05, 2012 •  [Post 4]

CrazyElkHunter wrote:I hear a lot about it, but never tried it. I am old school, and like to get the elk cooled down as soon as possible. I only hunt during the archery season, and it is usually warm, so getting the guts out is very important in the cooling process. 22 of the 25 elk I have shot, I was solo hunting, so I would always gut the elk, get a few sticks under it if I could, sprinkle the chili powder where needed, and go for help. Gutless may be a little cleaner and faster, but you know the old saying " If it ain't broke, don't fix it" ;)

Quickest way to get meat cooling is to get the hide off.
dotman

Postby cnelk » 08 05, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I have used the gutless method for a few years now.
I even used it on my Colorado moose. Did the whole job with my shooting gloves on!

One nice thing I like about it is that the animal does not draw flies or animals after the job is done.
I did a cow using the gutless method and came back the next morning to get the last of the meat and there wasnt even a raven on the carcass.

Here I am half done and did it by myself.

cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Buglemaster » 08 05, 2012 •  [Post 6]

CrazyElkHunter, another old school fart here also.For 35+ years all we did was gut em & either load them whole or quarter & pack.A couple years ago we helped a couple brothers who were hunting the same area we were pack out a bull. They did the gutless thing & I thought how great it went. They said they would return the favor if we did any good & they were still around.2 days later I smacked a bull & he was still kicking when 1 of the guys popped over the ridge. i pointed out my bull & he said to just wait a minute & hustled back over the ridge. Came back in a minute or 2 with his brother & they helped me do it gutless.WOW! I cant imagine the weight I've packed out over the years that was'nt necessary.Thats the only way we will do it from now on unless its at last light & we want to leave it overnight just to cool.That meat was cleaner & 3/4 of the processing duties are done on the spot.You really should give it a try.
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee