Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Highs and Lows... how quickly we forget!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Highs and Lows... how quickly we forget!

Postby eltaco » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 1]

10 months ago at this time, I was finishing up my 250th-ish mile and my hunting season was over... didn't even get to draw my string back all season and couldn't have been more down on my luck. Had some good memories, but they paled in comparison to the dry plasticy taste of my E/S OTC Archery elk tag as I meanered towards my truck. I had learned some lessons, without a doubt, but ultimately was leaving the elk woods without having notched my tag... so ends my luck streak! Man, I was worn out and bummed!!!!

Contrast that to today, I've nearly forgotten all of the disappointments of last season and seemingly my minds eye sees only through rose colored lenses... all I remember are the great moments we took from last year, and all of the great experiences we had. Man, I couldn't possibly be more excited and confident for this season to roll around. I've practiced calling off and on through the offseason and shot my bow all year long... failure at this point isn't an option.

I know people wonder how we can possibly spend this much time in the woods, taking time off of work, and talking elk all year long waiting for this time of year. I must be addicted. I know I'm not alone here. My wife thinks that I only hear the things that I want to hear, but I've come to realize that I only remember the moments that I want to remember, as well. My selective memories must be the thing that keeps me going.
eltaco

Re: Highs and Lows... how quickly we forget!

Postby bullrub » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 2]

All to often we, as hunters measure or success by getting the tag filled. But it is a whole lot more than that, of course we are disappointed when we don't tag out. After all that's why were there. How many of you have felt saddness and excitement all at the same time when you get that animal on ground, I know I feel it every time. It means too me I have achieved my goal and now its over. Don't get me wrong the excitement is sronger than the saddness,but you all know what i mean, I hope. Taking the animal is just a small part of for me now, it's all of the excitement of getting ready for hunt all the planning and putting things to together and spending time with your hunting buddy.
Yes! you are right how quickly we forget. But here it is again the season coming up on us, and all I can think of is taking that big bull. That is what keeps us coming back.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I've had years that I got to picky and past on smaller bulls early in the season. The high is having opportunity to shoot a bull but pass, and the low is coming home with no elk meat because I wanted a certain bull. I have been very fortunate bow hunting elk for over 30 years and can honestly say I have had a opportunity at a legal bull every year I bow hunted them, all on DIY Public land hunts with the exception of 1 hunt in 1986, we hired a outfitter to pack us in to a wilderness area in Oregon. I go on my hunts not hopeing to get a bull, but how big is the bull going to be this year. Not trying to be cocky, but confidence helps me put elk on the ground. If I do not shoot a elk, it's my own falt. Filled the freezer with a few cows along the way. Can't eat the horns :o
Now that I said all that I probably jinxed myself. :roll: It's not all about the harvest either. The memories of the hunt and the friends you meet along the way are way more important.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby cnelk » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 4]

CrazyElkHunter wrote: Not trying to be cocky, but confidence helps me put elk on the ground.

BINGO!!!! :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Wow Brad,I was still editing when you popped that one in. :shock:
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby cnelk » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 6]

CrazyElkHunter wrote: The memories of the hunt and the friends you meet along the way are way more important.

BINGO X2!!!
You're on a roll Bill... :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby POk3s » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Seemed like we all got a little jacked up when the calendar turned August. My neck is starting to swell also. Just can't wait to be out there. After the first few years of learning the ropes I also have had the opportunity every single year. Last year was the first year I'd ever passed up an elk.....and it was a bull elk. I had a spike in the trees at 30 yards. Wanting a branch antlered bull I let him walk. I even drew my bow back without an arrow, settled the pin, and let down just so I could say I could've easily killed an elk.......the next weekend I killed a 4x4. This year I'm hoping for a 3 1/2 year old bull :) . We'll see how it works out.....I might shoot the first calf that walks by :lol: .

I wish everyone the best of luck. The lowest of lows is wounding any animal. I've done it....twice. Once with my bow and once with my rifle. The bull I hit actually made me sick to my stomach. I hope it doesn't but I'm sure it will happen to someone on this site. I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy but about the only thing that helps me get through losing an animal is to just keep in mind that "NOTHING goes to waste in the mountains". Sure you would rather be feeding on that elk or deer then crows, coyotes, and bears.....but nothing goes to waste in the wilderness.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby bullrub » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 8]

POk3s wrote:Seemed like we all got a little jacked up when the calendar turned August. My neck is starting to swell also. Just can't wait to be out there. After the first few years of learning the ropes I also have had the opportunity every single year. Last year was the first year I'd ever passed up an elk.....and it was a bull elk. I had a spike in the trees at 30 yards. Wanting a branch antlered bull I let him walk. I even drew my bow back without an arrow, settled the pin, and let down just so I could say I could've easily killed an elk.......the next weekend I killed a 4x4. This year I'm hoping for a 3 1/2 year old bull :) . We'll see how it works out.....I might shoot the first calf that walks by :lol: .

I wish everyone the best of luck. The lowest of lows is wounding any animal. I've done it....twice. Once with my bow and once with my rifle. The bull I hit actually made me sick to my stomach. I hope it doesn't but I'm sure it will happen to someone on this site. I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy but about the only thing that helps me get through losing an animal is to just keep in mind that "NOTHING goes to waste in the mountains". Sure you would rather be feeding on that elk or deer then crows, coyotes, and bears.....but nothing goes to waste in the wilderness.

POk3s, I know how it feels only it was on a cow, we looked for 2 days and we found her. Nothing but bones and and some hide left. This was the 2nd weekend into the season, I didn't hunt the rest of it because I felt so bad. But if a person has hunted long enought its going to happen sooner or later, we don't want it too but it does. As long as you do all you can to find that animal, thats all you can do. And yes your right nothing go to waste in the wilderness.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby Swede » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 9]

The highs and lows of elk hunting is what makes it great. For me there is no greater sense of excitement than downing a nice bull elk. Likewise running out of hunting time, on that last day, is such a major disappointment. The disappointment is not so much that I didn't get an elk, but the feeling that I just needed another day.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Yep, highs & lows are to be expected in ones hunt & they can occur everyear!!! I'll take the highs everytime! (grin) Funny thing is they can go either way in the blink of an eye, things can change real fast in the elkwoods!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby LckyTylr » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I'm with you Eltaco. I haven't killed an elk yet. I have been bowhunting whitetails for 12 years and have only had one year that I didn't get one with a bow, I was in Afghanistan. Started hunting mulies and elk 3 years ago. Killed mulies 2 of the 3 years, but shot a whitetail the year I didn't get a mulie. To say that i have sufficient confidence to get within range and put an animal on the ground with my bow is an understatement, yet, Elk have humbled me for 135 days over the last 3 years and it's REALLY eating away at me. I know it's not all about killing an animal, but until I get an elk on the ground, it IS all about killing an animal. My buddies and father-in-law all ask me to join them on antelope hunts, mulie hunts, moose hunts . . . . . you name it, but none of them matter to me, not until I notch an elk tag.

I hope this is the year. Had a bull bugle at me twice last night scouting a new area, but even more promising . . . . . . I didn't see a single wolf track the entire trip!!! Wahooooo! My scouting trip got cut short to say the least (not my fault), so I'm foaming at the mouth for next weekend to get here.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson