Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Who's Got The Fever?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Who's Got The Fever?

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 02, 2012 •  [Post 1]

OK Guys and Dolls, It's August! Whos got it real bad? I've been doing this for a long, long time, and I still catch myself figiting with bows, arrows ,tackle box, gear box, trail cameras, rangefinders, camos, boots, sharpening knives, blowing on my bugles, writeing on this forum and on and on. The fever is just as bad as it was 30 years ago, and the only cure is getting back to elk camp for a fix. So I guess I am a Elk Junkie! I know I am not the only Elk Junkie, so tell us what your doing over and over. :shock: :shock: :shock:
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Re: Who's Got The Fever?

Postby cnelk » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I been going thru my gear. Shooting my bow. Doing my 2-3 mile walk/run every morning.

I often wonder how I fit a full-time job in my schedule.... :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Oh Ya1! It's a fever & desire that never goes away all year! Tinkering is part of the fun for sure, I can not remember the last time I was ever satisfied 100% with all things involved from calling to all gear & equipment exactly as I'd hoped for???? Not sure it's ever happened actually! (grin) This thing called Elk Hunting The Rut keeps me young!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 4]

cnelk wrote:I been going thru my gear. Shooting my bow. Doing my 2-3 mile walk/run every morning.

I often wonder how I fit a full-time job in my schedule.... :)

Hey Brad, maybe that's part of the problem. I am retired and have waaaay to much time on my hands. :roll:
CrazyElkHunter

Postby easeup » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 5]

got it down here also.
everyday time is spent preparing or doing something to get ready for the hunt.
easeup

Postby bullrub » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 6]

By the time the season gets here, my wife is ready to throw me out of the house. Blowing on my calls, talking to freinds about the upcoming season every night and going over all our gear,and checking out the trail cam pics. I have done this alot of years and you would think every thing would just fall into place (but it don't) Ya!!!!!! I got the fever and there is no cure for it except the the bugle of the mighty bull elk. :D
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby Vanish » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I think my wife has it worse than I do! We were watching "Worse than Wolves" last night and she was like, screw the video, let's go already!

PS: Do/Did you have a Dachshund and a Jack Russel, Paul? :D
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby elkohalic » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 8]

I have the fever ! Doc said it will be cured in a few weeks so I'm not to worried.
Looks like it's contagious tho
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby Harmy » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 9]

"Doc said it will be cured in a few weeks so I'm not to worried." What? There is NO cure.

We are all completely screwed and Paul should copyright this forum as "Worse Than Junkies"...

The worst thing for me is that Google Earth has become my number-one running application at work and at home. It is just a good thing it is not on my damn phone... I now have at least 200 water hole geo coordinates taged. How will I ever go see them all??? I have only gone to see 6 so far this season... My knives are so sharp I can shave (good thing I now use CPM154 blades or I would not have any steel left). My camo has been refolded so many times I think they are permanently pressed. My pack is wearing out from the inside from loading and unloading it multiple times a day. My 2 week old MyTopo maps already look like they are 4 years old. I have logged over 35,000 vertical, hiking in the last 6 weeks. And damnit, my new mudder tires are wearing out 4 times faster than rated...

It's all ok though. I will get my "fix" soon. Then it will start all over again...
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby Freebird134 » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 10]

5 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's all I think about...
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Swede » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I have been packing things into the trailer and truck for several days now. I have gone over and over my list of items to take and the groceries I will need. I have checked the trailer batteries twice and just refilled the tires, but I really don't care much. I have been shooting for a couple months now, and have been monitoring the weather and fire reports for the areas I will hunt, but I just do it for the kids. LOL OH! I just forgot; the kids are all gone and have been on their own for years.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby bullrub » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Swede wrote:I have been packing things into the trailer and truck for several days now. I have gone over and over my list of items to take and the groceries I will need. I have checked the trailer batteries twice and just refilled the tires, but I really don't care much. I have been shooting for a couple months now, and have been monitoring the weather and fire reports for the areas I will hunt, but I just do it for the kids. LOL OH! I just forgot; the kids are all gone and have been on their own for years.

Ya!, Swede I use to use that one also. :roll:
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby dotman » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Ya i'm pretty much zoned out of everything but elk, 23 days till i'm in elk country :)
dotman

Postby PREZ » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 14]

I'm going on my first elk hunt and I got it bad.....I have been hiking, jogging, packed my backpack atleast 10 times, I shoot non-stop. I do all my calling in the truck all day long (sometimes I give myself a headache). I'm going to Wyoming on Sept.21-29....When the hunt is over I'm going to have to get therapy.
PREZ

First Name: Steve
Last Name: Preziosi

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 15]

PREZ wrote:I'm going on my first elk hunt and I got it bad.....I have been hiking, jogging, packed my backpack atleast 10 times, I shoot non-stop. I do all my calling in the truck all day long (sometimes I give myself a headache). I'm going to Wyoming on Sept.21-29....When the hunt is over I'm going to have to get therapy.

Being in elk camp is the therapy, and once your in, there is no cure. :o
CrazyElkHunter

Postby planebow » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 16]

I will agree on one thing, THERE IS NO CURE!
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 05, 2012 •  [Post 17]

OK, fevers getting worse. Walked by my quad and said to myself, hmmm, gotta be something I can do to it! Got it! I'm gonna move the tail and brake light. I had added a basket on the back a few years ago and it covered up the tail light. 2 hours later, wa la! Took the wire harness off, rewired it, put a nice LED. Light on the back of the basket. Last year I added back up lights for when we went through gap gates in the dark. They call me MaGiver!

CrazyElkHunter

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 05, 2012 •  [Post 18]

CrazyElkHunter

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 05, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Heh, nice modification! I agree, there's no cure, funny thing is I'm not looking for one! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 08 05, 2012 •  [Post 20]

ElkNut1 wrote:Heh, nice modification! I agree, there's no cure, funny thing is I'm not looking for one! (grin)

ElkNut1

Paul, your right, there is no cure, just a fix. " Dead Bull Walk'n" ;)
CrazyElkHunter