Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Talk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Talk

Postby hbuck » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I was up doing some early scouting and seen a couple of 4pt bulls . About dusk we heard a faint bugle. Am I right to think it was just a locate call. He just called one time that was it.
hbuck

Re: Elk Talk

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 01, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Well, it's tough to say without hearing it? If all you heard was a faint bugle this time of year & didn't see the bugler it too could have been a lead cow managing her group as bulls do once they take over in pre-rut & rutting times. Bulls can bugle now as they start to feel their oats & hormone changes as they are starting to get the urge, it can start with the shedding of their velvet! At any rate it most likely was a non-intimidation bugle!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Bullnuts » 08 03, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Yep, I've heard bulls bugle as early as the first week of August and as late as the middle of November.
Bullnuts

Postby Swede » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 4]

After reading Paul's post I got to thinking about my experiences hearing bulls bugle during the Spring and Summer. If my memory is right all of the bugles were made by more mature sounding animals. I am confident I was not hearing a cow, but was it just coincidence that I was not hearing immature bulls bugle in the Spring and Summer through July? All of the bugles I remember were nonthreatening two or three note calls of quality.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics