Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Do you shoot or continue the hunt?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Do you shoot or continue the hunt?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Situational decision. After a year of waiting, you've finally headed into the elk woods for your first day of fall elk hunting. You've shot your bow until you could knock the tick off a stump at 40 yards, you're gear is packed tightly into your multi-day backpack, you've saved your time off so you can spend two glorious weeks in an elk state of your choosing, you've worked on your elk calling and language interpretation skills to the point of being yelled at by your other household members ("take it outside.... geez), you've studied the maps for your area, loaded them on your GPS, and spent hours on google earth studying the target area, you've gotten yourself into possibly the best shape of your life in anticipation of steep climbs/decents/packing quarters scenarios, and you're finally here!! Your tag allows you to take either sex in the area/state your hunting. You can shoot a cow or a three point bull or better (western count here guys), and you haven't slept a single night through for the past two weeks before you loaded the truck up and left. You've never taken an elk with a bow before but this is the year! As you head out on the first morning's hunt, you detect movement up to your right and "holy crap" there are elk filtering through the woods less than 30 yards away. You knock an arrow and wait, as a nice cow stops broadside a bit over 25 yards away you draw, settle your pin on that sweet spot, and ................ Do you shoot a cow at this point, the first day of your hunt, or not? Just curious... :) RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Do you shoot or continue the hunt?

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 2]

You're a New Elk Hunter, you've not elk hunted or ever taken an elk! You definitely should consider taking the shot! Not a darned thing wrong with a cow elk!!! Anything with a bow is a true trophy!

Yep, I've taken a couple cows with a bow & am as proud & thankful for those as any bull I've taken!

ElkNut1
Attachments
Paul Sr 4.jpg
Paul Sr 4.jpg (88.65 KiB) Viewed 10843 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Freebird134 » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Do I have any other tags? Am I with buddies that have tags? How far from the truck am I?

My initial thoughts were Kill it and move on to shooting a deer or helping my buddies kill theirs. But I've never been a "horn hunter."
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Freebird134 » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 4]

ElkNut1 wrote:Not a darned thing wrong with a cow elk!!! Anything with a bow is a true trophy!

AGREED!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby outdoordan » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 5]

fwap! Done. Now I go buy another elk tag in that or another state. :D
outdoordan

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Allred

Postby 2OArchery » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Last year, opening day, I was less than 100 yards from my truck and I ran into a bunch of cows. I've seen bulls in our unit that will go up into the 370s, but you better believe that if one of those cows had presented a shot, tag notched.

I'm with Elknut, any animal with a bow is a trophy. I hunt for myself. I probably would have gotten some grief from everyone else in the group, but I don't care. I'm a meat hunter.
2OArchery

Postby mattstanton » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 7]

OTC unit, give her the shaft. Limited entry, hold out for a good bull. As a rule in an OTC unit, I won't pass on the first day what I would not pass on the last.
mattstanton

Postby planebow » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 8]

I would take the shot and the spend the rest of the hunt helping my partner get a chance at an elk. This year if this happens my cow tag goes on her and then spend the rest of the season trying to fill my either sex tag.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby T/H » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 9]

if i've settled my pin then chances are i plan on killing it. so far in my brief bowhunting career i have yet to look a gifthorse in the mouth and have been rewarded with some fine eating on several cows. i thought this year may be a little different but was told that 30 to 50% of the unit i drew this year burnt in a big fire so the jury is still out for me although i know that to achieve killing a herd bull i will have to pass on cows.
T/H

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 10]

When I started elk hunting over 35 years ago, the advice I got was, since it was my 1st elk hunt(archery) shoot the 1st legal elk I see. I did, and it was a big fat cow. Could have shot a spike bull, they were legal back then, but she was a lot bigger, and even though I was so excited about seeing my very 1st elk at 20 yds in the wild, I had the since to go for more elk steaks. :D . It was opening day and we still had 2 weeks left. I had no regrets and it started a long and successful elk hunting journey, all archery. I've shot 20 bulls and 5 cows all on public land DIY hunts during that journey. A lot of those years I came home empty handed because I was to picky. One year I passed up 5 branch antlered bulls and regretted it when the season ended, and I could not even locate a cow to fill the freezer. I go on my annual elk hunts with a lot of confidence, and if I do not bring home elk meat, it's not because I was not given a chance, it's because I get the big bull syndrome. :roll: Last year we had the entire archery season to hunt and I let a small 6x6 walk on the 30th of Aug. because I was after a big 300 class 6x5 I saw on my trail camera. I was in a tree stand and watched him for several minutes at 40 yds. When he walked directly under my tree stand 20 min later I had time to think about it. If I fill my tag now, I can help my best friend get his 1st bull. So I shot him. 2 weeks later my friend got the twin to my bull and I shot a nice buck.

CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby cnelk » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 11]

In my OTC unit I have trouble NOT giving any big fat cow the "shaft"... first year bowhunting or not... :)

cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby LckyTylr » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 12]

WHACK!!! She's DONE!

This could be my situation this year, as I have been chasing Wapiti for 4 years without filling a tag. This year, I finally jumped in head first, conditioning, calling, confidence in shooting . . . . . . . I'm READY to get it done.

Not only would I settle for killing a cow with my bow, I'd happily settle my little vendetta with a Bulls-Angel. Two years ago, I called in several bulls, even as an inexperienced rookie, it seemed as though they couldn't get enough of my love song. :lol: Every bull that I called in, pushed his cows in to me first. He'd stand out there just within view and wait for one of his aggressive Matriarchs to determine who was making all the racket. I had anywhere from 5 - 30 sets of eyes, ears and noses trained on my location, always ending with a swirl of wind and thundering hooves.

Stinkin' COWS!!! Given the opportunity this year, I'll let that bull watch me kill one of his lady friends. . . . . . . that'l teach him! ;-)
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby easeup » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 13]

there is always the longing in our hearts to take a nice bull for that is what keps many of us going from year to year.

I too have taken a few cows through the years and I certainly have never regretted it. In fact it seems that 6 months after the fact while I am cooking up some steaks, I usually remember thinking how smart I was for taking that cow.

but mr phantom, I have never even come close to drawing on the first day......maybe this year.
easeup

Postby tracker12 » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 14]

I meet a lot of guys out east here that never elk hunted beore and want to go out and do an OTC hu8nt in CO. I tell all of them to find soomeone to tag along if possible that has done it before and go out and do a cow hunt if with gun or tag the first legal elk you get a shot at.
tracker12

Postby dreamingbig » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 15]

I have waited 9 years to draw a permit for a branch antlered bull in my unit. I also drew a cow tag this year (they changed the unit to spike only 2 years ago unless you draw) so I may be faced with this dilemma. I have been thinking about it hard and I think I waiting until day 6 before the cows are in trouble. I have 10 full days to hunt and I really want to give myself an opportunity to work hard to fill my bull tag. I have had opportunities at bulls in this unit each of the past 4 years but I haven't had a tag in my pocket. I have also taken two cows and a spike in this unit since 2005. With all that considered I would be passing at the cow on opening day. It will be tough to do but I don't think I will regret it.

Happy hunting to all!
dreamingbig

Postby stickflngr » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 16]

THUMP....... I take what I can get cause Im not very good at this elk hunting thing but love the chase...... :D
stickflngr

Postby N5J » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 17]

I'm a meat hunter...first legal critter in bow range gets stuck. If I fill out early on elk I always have a deer and bear tag to fill the remaining time in the mountains. Once filled I 'll move from elk hunter to elk caller. :D

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby Vanish » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 18]

I'll be hunting with three other people in camp this year, my father, my wife and my friend. If I get the opportunity, it will be the first legal elk.

I find just as much joy in helping the others, and we like meat!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby idahoghost » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Phantom16, you read my mind. I have never killed an elk with a bow. Set my trailcams out three weeks ago, over a saddle and mineral lick. I have Bulls ranging from spikes to 6 points and a lot of cows/calves. What to do, what to do. I love eating elk, but a six point would be way cool for my first elk with a bow. The hard reality of the situtation is, I will probabily get a shot at a cow (fingers crossed for both) long before I even see a bull.

I can't afford another tag (anywhere). Still don't know what to do, but Paul makes me feel better regardless of the decision....by the way Paul, my calls are getting a little better thanks to you.
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Postby stringunner » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 20]

I would shoot! I actually had this scenario happen last year. Opening morning 20 minutes into shooting light, had a cow walk out broad side feeding and never knew I was there.....I missed, just barely shot beneath her as I miss judged the yardage....I never had another shot opportunity the rest of the season....still sick about missing that one. Nothing is a guarantee when elk hunting, when I get a shot on any legal elk, I will take it!
stringunner

Postby bullrub » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 21]

My first elk was a cow,taken in 1970 with my bow and let me tell you I was the happies man on the mountain that day. It could of been a big old 350 bull and i wouldn't of been any happyer. And it was really good eatting too. YES I WOULD TAKE THE SHOT. :D
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby snake » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 22]

Being new to elk hunting, that sounds mighty tempting. But, I don't think that I could do it. I have killed a lot of deer with a bow (lots of does), but I wouldn't want to punch an expensive tag on a cow first thing when I've been dreaming of chasing bugling bulls for years. I would probably regret it at the end of the hunt, but that's part of hunting.
snake

First Name: Jacob
Last Name: Dirnbeger

Postby Vanish » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 23]

snake wrote:Being new to elk hunting, that sounds mighty tempting. But, I don't think that I could do it. I have killed a lot of deer with a bow (lots of does), but I wouldn't want to punch an expensive tag on a cow first thing when I've been dreaming of chasing bugling bulls for years. I would probably regret it at the end of the hunt, but that's part of hunting.

It definitely depends on the experience you want. If you are a NR and have never hunted elk, I probably wouldn't shoot either. It's not about the kill, that's for sure!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby dotman » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 24]

Being the case that you have never killed an elk, I say shoot but if you are comfortable with the possibilty of tag soup then don't.

I would shoot and the take the meat to the processor and head back out for a camping, scouting, calling practice experience for the remainder of my time. Better to have that first kill and meat then nothing and if it is all aboutthe experience well then go back out and get those bulls worked up if you can find them and take a picture. Then return next year with a much better understanding of the area and your game :)
dotman

Postby Swede » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 25]

Shoot the cow. She will be great eating. Just don't stop there. You can put your bow away if you do not have another tag, but stay out there and learn. Your vacation has just begun, now take advantage of a super opportunity. You have no pressure on you. Try different calls and techniques. Make the most of your time.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby MTNMAN5C » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 26]

I'm happy to see so many meat hunters on here! Sometimes people forget the true challenge of harvesting an elk (any elk) with a bow. I have only shot 5 bulls w my bow and no cows, but for me I get excited on any encounter. It's the culmination of 11 months of preparation, making a perfect shot and bringing that meat home is the best feeling in the world. Shoot the cow and then help your partners.
MTNMAN5C

Postby elkohalic » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 27]

Shoot the cow!!! Then go shoot the bull with your buddies LOL
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby cnelk » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 28]

Another thing to remember is the only way to get MORE confidence in hunting elk is to shoot MORE elk.

You cant practice trailing elk blood if there isnt an arrow in her
You cant practice the 'gutless' method if she aint dead
You cant experience the 'trials and tribulations' of packing elk meat
You cant say you have never killed an elk...

Anyone want to change their mind and shoot the cow? :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby otcWill » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 29]

Definitely shoot! Unless you have some great elk partner with many elk and years of expierience telling you that you are sure to get more opps then this may be the last chance you have. You will learn this very quickly and painfully if you pass up opps.
otcWill

Postby T/H » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 30]

cows taste so gooooooooooood :)
Attachments
cow 2010.jpg
cow 2010.jpg (30.37 KiB) Viewed 10679 times
T/H

Postby LONEBULL » 08 01, 2012 •  [Post 31]

I shoot!!!!! Can't eat the horns.
LONEBULL

Postby pointysticks » 08 01, 2012 •  [Post 32]

outdoordan wrote:fwap! Done. Now I go buy another elk tag in that or another state. :D

hahhaha..love it. FWAP! i would sling that arrow!!

my situation is diff...i would then focus on getting the other hunters in my group an elk.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby eltaco » 08 01, 2012 •  [Post 33]

What was the question, again? I was too busy quartering my cow elk out....

It'd be bittersweet, no doubt. Every year I look forward to my chance at a good bull. Hasn't happened yet, but I'm not going to pass on elk steaks on OTC. If I had a trophy tag in my pocket it'd be a different story, but this year I'd be pulling the trigger and spending the rest of my season calling for family /friends.
eltaco

Postby mongopino915 » 08 01, 2012 •  [Post 34]

Like most folks have responded on this post, will not hesitate to take home the 1st legal elk that presents itself. With that said, it's a great feeling having a second tag in the pocket. Figured I donate a little extra $$ to the state for a class B OTC cow tag just in case I get lucky so I don't have to spend the rest of the season just calling.
mongopino915

Postby spyder24 » 08 04, 2012 •  [Post 35]

I guess I will be the lone hunter and not shot the elk. I travel 1610 miles one way and usually hunt by myself. I think about killing a bull elk twelve months out of the year. I have not and would not kill a cow until close to the end of the hunt. I have ate tag soup and would do it again if the only shot I have on an elk is a cow on the first day of a two week hunt. I get two weeks every year to hunt elk in Colorado. I envy you guys that live out west. Good luck to everyone on the up coming elk season. Mike
spyder24