Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Full moon question?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Full moon question?

Postby Sucobowhunter » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 1]

So I know elk seem to quit moving earlier in the morning because of full moon but will they come out in afternoons at same time or later?
Sucobowhunter

First Name: Jason
Last Name: Heney

Re: Full moon question?

Postby Swede » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 2]

This question or one similar pops up on every hunting forum every year. Some people have the idea that the moon phase affects elk habits. If there is any validity to that idea the effect is still minimal. Weather, and the rut have a much greater influence. Just go hunting. Hunt as long as you can and be as diligent as you can be. For further information check the earlier thread on this forum.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Swede wrote:This question or one similar pops up on every hunting forum every year. Some people have the idea that the moon phase affects elk habits. If there is any validity to that idea the efect is still minimal. Weather, and the rut have a much greater influence. Just go hunting. Hunt as long as you can and be as diligent as you can be. For further information check the earlier thread on this forum.

Swedes absolutely right. Just go hunt. Elk will get up and water in mid day or early afternoon. Just depends on pressure and how warm it is. Ive shot bulls at 2:00 in the afternoon with a full moon the night befor.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby cantgetdrawn » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I just went through chapter 7 of Paul's playbook. If I understand what he is saying, elk bed earlier in the day during a full moon but get up to feed during the day. I assume they get hungry because the stop eating earlier?

If my assumption is correct I would also assume after they feed, they bed down until nightfall?
cantgetdrawn

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 5]

cantgetdrawn wrote:I just went through chapter 7 of Paul's playbook. If I understand what he is saying, elk bed earlier in the day during a full moon but get up to feed during the day. I assume they get hungry because the stop eating earlier?

If my assumption is correct I would also assume after they feed they bed down until nightfall?

They may stay in there beds a little later on those days, but will start feeding befor dark. Most of the elk I encounter are up and moving at least a hour befor dark if not sooner. Find benchs on north faceing slopes, and you will catch elk feeding because it is darker and cooler earlier.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Lots of info to be shared for sure!! Number 1 -- Find elk at night during Full Moon bright lit nights!!!!!!!!!! It can be an hour to hours after dark or 1-2 hours before daylight! The closer to rutting times the better! The Rut trumps a full moon any time!!! Put the two together & you will have an awesome elk hunt, don't worry about what time they'll bed or when they'll get up, locate at night & get on them quickly come daylight! We are runners & gunners & this works pretty well for us!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Elk are big/strong animals. They have very few predators (unless you hunt in wolf country). They can see very well in the dark reguardless of the moon phase.

I have noticed very little effect of the moon phase in all my years of hunting. But the biggest thing that will drive them into the dark timber early is temperature. On hot days, as soon as that sun pops over the horizon in the morning, they will be headed for cover.

We wait all year for elk season that may be only 30 days long. So reguardless of what the moon is doing, get out there and enjoy your hunt!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Harmy » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 8]

My hunt is Sept 26 - Oct 4 with the full moon right in the middle at Sept 29. I plan to use the moon to get close to the elk or to their bedding area by staying up most of the early night and very slowly getting close to the location of interest. Since my opener is pre full moon I expect several hours of full dark before sunrise and so I will plan for a quick bivy being as close as I dare to where I think they will be headed to bed. Preferrably just beyond some ridge or other feature to keep my scent minimized. I used this technique a few years ago and it really helped me to get close and know where they were come first light. I carry a down jacket and a Bibler bivy sack and just suffer for the most part when I settle in. I figure mid day is a good time to catch up on some sleep...
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby otcWill » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Here's one that I bet not many do, but we have had some serious fun locating the herd in full moon and simply hanging out all night until legal shooting light. This may seem crazy to some, but I will be the first to admit that I am crazy for elk hunting! By the am we will be within 100 yards and usually know right where the elk are headed. Also, we get awesome responses to calling sequences at first light. Maybe they still feel safe in the grey light. They're NOt!!
otcWill