Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Calling while scouting?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Calling while scouting?

Postby eltaco » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I'm curious how many of you use calls while scouting. Personally, I stay away from calls until season comes around... I prefer not to educate the elk more than they need to be, and I don't want elk sneaking in for close encounters during this time. JMO and it might not be a big deal.

I had just heard from a couple of guys who I met at camp last season. Sounds like they call quite a bit while scouting... got me wondering how many people scout this way.
eltaco

Re: Calling while scouting?

Postby elkohalic » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I would think a call here and there wouldn't hurt just to hear them. I would avoid calling them into bow range. My dad has a very bad habit of calling every where he goes, and he calls a lot. I have threatened to throw his calls of a cliff before! LOL. I must say after that he kinda settled down a little in the last few years. I can't wait to have dad listen to the sounds of the elk CD and show him that elk don't just bugle and cow chirp, they talk and say thing to each other. OH crap I just started rambling.
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby cantgetdrawn » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I had my boys with me and as soon as we heard bulges they wanted to answer. After that they went bugle crazy the whole time we were there, may not the best strategy, but they had a blast every time an elk answered with a bugle or cow call. So to me it was worth it.

Jimmy
cantgetdrawn

Postby mattstanton » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I treat it just like calling at night during season. Keep it sparse and when they answer, stop. You don't want them to come in and associate your calls with a human. Use it to locate and then stop.
mattstanton

Postby Swede » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 5]

When I am scouting I never call. I don't look for the elk either. I can pretty quickly figure our what is out there from the evidence on the ground. Mind you I am not looking for a 350+ class bull either. Even if I was , I would prefer to see him by spot and stalk methods. In some areas, calling while scouting, may have very little influence on the elk. Where I am they are call shy, and are soon on the ranches after the hunters arrive. In areas like that it is better to be very reserved in your calling. Still it does not matter much. There are so many people playing with their bugles, that one more does not make much of a difference.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby T/H » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 6]

no calls for me while scouting. i practice at home
T/H

Postby elkoholic » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I don't think a few calls will hurt, but I personally dont use a call while scouting. I start using a call a week or so before openings day just get locations and make sure there are still in the area.
elkoholic

First Name: Chewy
Last Name: Swatzell

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 8]

In most cases I do not call while scouting areas out to see if they are being used by the elk. As I scout & it gets with 7 days of the season I may throw out a tester in elevated areas to see if there is any interest. I do not respond if something does answer. It's human nature to want to hear elk if you are an elk hunter, by the same token we have to use common sense when tying the two together, scouting/calling!! Chasing elk around physically that you've located or being scented is much worse than calling at them from a distance to find their whereabouts!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul