Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Water Hole hunting

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Water Hole hunting

Postby tracker12 » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 1]

So this will be my first time hunting waterholes. MY initial plan is to scout and hunt in the mornings (hunting new area) and then sit on a waterhole iin the evening. Witht he hot year we are having in CO I have to think the elk will water during the day. So should I consider longer sits. Should I even consider movnig to a waterhole before first light?
tracker12

Re: Water Hole hunting

Postby otcWill » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Sure, if you find a good one! This is where trail cams can be of utmost importance. Buy one or more, put em up, and you'll know whether to spend time at whatever water you find. When I sit for the evening I like to be settled in by 2:00 pm. Some areas are so hard to get to that it isn't worth hiking out only to come back in a few hours and these I sit all day or I take my time still hunting the a.m. and reach my wallows around 11:00 am. Good luck!
otcWill

Postby Coveyleader » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Tracker,

I have one water hole that I've killed 6 bulls off of in the AM, and my friend has killed one. I'd rather sit this place in the AM vs the PM any day of the week. This is in a very heavy OTC unit in Colorado. I normally have guys walk in on me a couple times during the first few days. I just went out there is weekend and saw three bulls right above it, and a cow in there when I went to hang my stand.

Elk love to get a drink before they head to the timber or oak brush to bed so location is key.

I'm not sure where you're hunting in CO, but I can tell you the elk will hit them during mid-day, but the winds will normally betray you if you're sitting there no matter how high you get. I try not to sit in a stand prior to 5:30 PM in the early season due to the winds/thermals have not yet settled. I sit at the entrance to the little draw and wait often times getting there very early as to let people know I will be up this draw when the wind switches for good.

Good luck
Coveyleader

First Name: M
Last Name: Lewis

Postby elkohalic » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Water holes in heavy timber could be used at any time of the day. If there out in the open I would think either morning or evening would be better.
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby Swede » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 5]

As mentioned earlier, elk can come to water at any hour. I prefer the late evening, but use your stand as much as you can. Elk can come in at 10:00 AM-2:00 PM and get a drink or wallow just as well as the earlier morning or late evening.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby tracker12 » 07 30, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I'll be in Unit 2 so it will be open country for the most part. Good thing is there shouldn't be to much competition.
tracker12