Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Rookie elk hunter

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Rookie elk hunter

Postby snake » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Hey everybody, I am completely new to elk hunting as i am planning a DIY archery elk hunt in the San Juans of southern CO for next fall. Any tips or advice would be great. I am completely willing to listen and want to be as prepared as possible.
snake

First Name: Jacob
Last Name: Dirnbeger

Re: Rookie elk hunter

Postby Lefty » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Spend a lot of time on the forum to learn from others expieriences, misfoutunes and advise
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 3]

You picked a great forum to ask questions on. Elknut and several others here have many years of experience and are willing to help out.

I have hunted the San Juans several times and I want you to know for the first time flatland hunter there is only one word to discribe those mountains. (VERTICAL)!!!!!!!!!!!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby easeup » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 4]

...completely addicting!
better turn back while you can. If you succome to the lure of the high country....well many a fellow has been ruined.
easeup

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Welcome snake! Feel free to ask any questions here even if they are simple. Like WW stated, there is a lot of guys on here with a vast amount of knowledge. Also, PM me if you have any issues with the forum. Thanks for registering.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby snake » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Thanks for everything so far. I have only been to the mountains one time in my life and have been dreaming of bowhunting elk for years. I think about it every waking moment already, and I haven't even been elk hunting yet. I am doing everything I possibly can to prepare for this. I am already doing physical conditioning for next fall and have been dropping fat like crazy. All I can think about is a bull screaming in my face. It's all I can stand just waiting for next fall.
snake

Postby Swede » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Hunt diligently, learn all you can, and take the first good sized elk that presents a shot opportunity.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Waygoner » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 8]

1st and foremost is to be cautious and have a safe trip. Your trip will be ruined if you twist an ankle, tear your ACL, etc. Be aware of altitude sickness and it's symptoms. This is especially important if you're hunting alone.

2nd - have fun! For me there is no such thing as an unsuccessful elk hunting trip, whether I come home empty handed or not (unless #1 happens). Elk hunting can be frustrating, especially when you're learning the ropes. Don't get so caught up in the pursuit of killing an elk that you forget to enjoy your time in the incredible San Juans.
Waygoner

Postby ElkManDan » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 9]

get some instructional calling videos. Also try and get some good realistic hunting videos. When I first started chasing elk I picked up most of the Primos videos on VHS (no dvds back then). Although the elk they hunt were much less pressured than the public land bulls most of us chase I did learn a lot about how elk respond to calls and their mannerisms. Plus Elk hunting videos ROCK!!! Get your calls out and try perfecting your calling (but only when the wife or significant other is gone).
ElkManDan

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Also, Paul Medel(aka ElkNut) rarely promotes his products on this forum. So I'm going to say that that if you want great instructional material visit his store. Many hunters on here might agree with me. Yes?

http://www.elknut.com

I recommend the Playbook and his Volumes 1-4 DVD set for starters. He also has some really good package deals. If your not sure what you need, give him a call.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Swede » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I agree John. From the newest rookie to the most experienced old sage; all of us can learn from Elknut's material. Some of the stuff he comes up with often has me scratching my head. I wonder how he figured it out, but I do not doubt the accuracy of what he says. I would like to argue with him on occasion just to stir him up, but he has a bad habit of being right. That takes all of the fun out of it.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby cnelk » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 12]

snake
Are you going to have a buddy along?

I have helped 7 different guys take their first Colorado archery elk over the years. It is so fun to participate in someone's first elk.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 13]

You did not mention what part of the San Juans. We hunted there for over 25 years until our road washed out in 1998 and they closed it at the bottom. Expect to see a lot of hunters on public land. Elk are there, but they are pressured and drop off into the steepest stuff you will ever see. Popular areas are Taylor Mesa, Cottonwood Creek, Lone Cone (very high) and Groundhog Resavoir. If you are adventureous, bugle from a high point over looking a steep drop off to a deep canyon late at night. If you get a answer, go after him early the next morning. Watch the wind. If a elk sees you, its not nessasarially over, but if they smell you, they change zip codes. Welcome to elkhunting, come Sept, your life will change forever. :o
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 14]

snake wrote:Hey everybody, I am completely new to elk hunting as i am planning a DIY archery elk hunt in the San Juans of southern CO for next fall. Any tips or advice would be great. I am completely willing to listen and want to be as prepared as possible.

Learn the ropes by doing everything my esteemed colleages have mentioned above, and, find a kind soul that will take you with them next year! Get in exceptional hiking/packing physical shape well prior to season, obtain and study Elknut's information on elk language interpretation, become very proficient with your bow tipped with broadheads out to at least 40 yards, determine the correct items to take into a backcountry hunt (tons of good threads on this) and get the gear, piece by piece, practice your elk sounds to the point of having to do your "daily" practice session out in the barn, do tons of pre-season scouting starting now (physically go if possible, use google earth/USGS 7.5 minute quads), become comfortable navigating in the woods with a compass and map, load the area maps on your GPS, and finally...... find a western guy that will take you under his wing and share some of his knowledge with you.. No video or forum thread can prepare you for a mud caked, snot nosed, red eyed bull screaming in your face.. When they come in, they either want to kick your a$$ or are looking for something to mate with. If you tag along with somebody who has done this for a decade or so, it'll help you out. Just my .02. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby snake » 07 27, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Yeah I would definitely like somebody that has hunted before to be able to go with me, but the problem is that I'm not going by myself. I have three other guys going with me now, but I'm not exactly sure how dedicated they are to this. I have been busting my butt trying to prepare and get in shape for this and gather as much info as I possibly can. Only one of the other guys has started to workout some to prepare for this. I'm not sure if they will all end up going or not, but I almost wish I was going by myself. I'm not in great shape by any means, but I will be by the time next fall rolls around. These other guys can't even keep up with me now, so I'm not so sure that they will be able to when we go hunting either.
snake

Postby mattstanton » 07 27, 2012 •  [Post 16]

If I could just re-type what everyone said, I would. All great advice. I will just say, use every tool at your expense. Get the calling and mouth reed dvd's from elknut.com as well as the playbook. Google earth is a great tool for scouting. Pick your areas that you want to hunt and go to mytopo.com and order some 1:24000 maps of those areas to keep in your pack. Call the F&G department there and ask them for any info on the area. Get a buddy if you can. Having some one to share the experience with is great.

My last piece of advice will differ from hunter to hunter. DON'T PASS UP ON THE FIRST DAY WHAT YOU WOULD NOT PASS UP ON THE LAST! Get your first kill under your belt.
mattstanton

Postby eriks. » 07 29, 2012 •  [Post 17]

I'm like Snake with next year being my first attempt. I've waited for at least 30 years for it. Too broke to go as a newly wed, too broke and tied down as a daddy with little kids and now just about too broke down but dying to try. I can't wait for the adventure! So cnelk, how would you like to make me the 8th person you helped get their first? ;)
eriks.

First Name: erik
Last Name: simmons

Postby dotman » 07 29, 2012 •  [Post 18]

CrazyElkHunter wrote:You did not mention what part of the San Juans. We hunted there for over 25 years until our road washed out in 1998 and they closed it at the bottom. Expect to see a lot of hunters on public land. Elk are there, but they are pressured and drop off into the steepest stuff you will ever see. Popular areas are Taylor Mesa, Cottonwood Creek, Lone Cone (very high) and Groundhog Resavoir. If you are adventureous, bugle from a high point over looking a steep drop off to a deep canyon late at night. If you get a answer, go after him early the next morning. Watch the wind. If a elk sees you, its not nessasarially over, but if they smell you, they change zip codes. Welcome to elkhunting, come Sept, your life will change forever. :o

I know exactly where your old San Juan area is, supposedly they will not fix the road either, great area.
dotman

Postby Vanish » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 19]

cnelk wrote:snake
Are you going to have a buddy along?

I have helped 7 different guys take their first Colorado archery elk over the years. It is so fun to participate in someone's first elk.

Although we didn't get an elk last year, cnelk helped put myself and my wife on to them with some digital help, as well!
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby Vanish » 07 31, 2012 •  [Post 20]

snake wrote:I have three other guys going with me now, but I'm not exactly sure how dedicated they are to this.

If all the guys go, I would definitely make sure you pair up people with similar abilities and drive. There isn't much worse than when one person wants to hunt hard and the other is sucking the life out of the hunt. If it got to that point, I would suggest splitting up and meeting back at camp to discuss the day. You'll generally lower your odds hunting solo, but hunting in a pair (or more) you'll only achieve the lowest common denominator, which might be worse than solo.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel