Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Closest kill shot??

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Closest kill shot??

Postby Goneelkn » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 1]

The long shot thread got me interested and i didn't want to hijack it.
What was your closest kill shot??
Mine was 3 yards. Bugled a bull in, he ran up to me, luckily i was already at full draw.
Goneelkn

Re: Closest kill shot??

Postby ElkManDan » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Dang, weren't you afraid you were going to get trampled??? I've had several within 5 yards but never taken a shot that close, thought I was going to get stepped on last year by a raghorn bull while I was videoing and calling for a friend after I already got my bull. My closest bull I've shot was about 18 yards.
ElkManDan

Postby Swede » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Mine was about 6 yards away, but it seemed nearly straight down. It was nearing dark, and I held the bow without getting my hand through the sling. I dropped the bow and it fell 30 feet to the ground. I killed the elk, but it did not respond to my pleading cow call. I had to track it down.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Bout 5 or 6 yards right at the last bit of legal shooting light. A small herd with a nice bull came out into the edge of a clearcut as it had the night before. I set up by a huge WA stump surrounded by tall brush and waited, and waited, and listened (as it progressively got darker). As I heard the elk moving on the other side of the stump I drew, lifted off my knees a bit and leaned around the stump.. It was the last few days of the WA season and it was any elk in this area.. Time to fill the freezer I said to myself. Crap, couldn't see a single pin on my old Darton with the classic Cobra double slot sight.. I was still shooting fingers at that time and figured I'd just shoot "instinctively". I got lucky. Hit the spike a bit far back and high. Came back very early in the morning and found him about 50 yards where I'd shot from. Was some darn good eating :)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Goneelkn » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 5]

ElkManDan wrote:Dang, weren't you afraid you were going to get trampled???

I was off to the side of a trail, setup by a bush. He came running down the trail and stopped right in front of me.
I did have a spike smell my leg once when I was set up by water hole. I was looking around for where to set up for an evening sit. Heard a snap, so i just sat down next to the nearest tree. When he came in, i think i was trying to become part of the tree. I seen it was a spike(4 point min in CO) and didn't want him to spook. I turned my head trying to breathe on the other side of the tree, and so he couldn't see my eyes. I heard him walk up to me, and could barely see him out of the very corner of my eye. He sniffed my leg, drooled on my leg, then went to water. Best part was, while he was watering a small herd came in. They seen him, the cows came right in. Then the bull came in, chased off the spike, the i shot the bull! Yeah i did say thanks to the spike.
Goneelkn

Postby easeup » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 6]

about 10 steps.
I remember I used my 40yd pin...lol :)

down in 20 sec and about 40 yds.
I wished they were all that way!
easeup

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 7]

10yds has been my closest kill! They are all exciting! I've had elk close enough to touch with my arrow, nothing like it! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby bonkellekter » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 8]

My closest was at 3 yards, then 10 yards for the second closest... There is NOTHING like it, September never comes fast enough or lasts as long as it should!
bonkellekter

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: MacArthur

Postby elkmtngear » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 9]

8 yards
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby westaner » 07 28, 2012 •  [Post 10]

5 yards for me, but my friend had one walk right up head on like it was about to rub on him! He thought the arrow didn't leave the bow. Self defense, but didn't recover the bull! :(
westaner

First Name: K.C.

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 29, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I had one come in and actually blow snot and slobbers in my face when he bugled. Dang near busted my ear drums when he cut loose. As he turned to walk away, I took him with a quartering away shot at 10 yards.

My actual closest kill was about 8 yards. It was a frontal shot and he only went about 25 yards before pileing up.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby caperoll/Scott » 08 01, 2012 •  [Post 12]

8 yards, had a small opening in the trees to shoot through. We set up I was the caller on this one. Had two bulls screaming at us. One bull came in turned and started down the ridge line all I could see was his antlers on the other side of the ridge, he was tring to get down wind. I signeled my partner that he needed to start calling. I got up ran down the hill about eighty yard and set up in a small stand of jack pines. The Bull crested the ridge and walked towards the jack pines and stopped on the other side at about five yards. I had a small openig about three yards in fron of the bull. It smeemed like the bull stood there for ever. I was holding on that small opening in the trees. My partner made one cow call and the bull move foreward and stopped his side came into view in the opening of the trees. I was able to put an arrow in him at eight yards. One of the best hunts of my life.
Cape Roll / Scott Ward
(208)-329-0329
http://www.caperoll.com
caperoll/Scott
Site Sponsor

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 01, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Good stuff guys, I love reading these real life experiences, they are awesome & a great learning tool for all if we ever get in a few of these situations! Thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Goneelkn » 08 02, 2012 •  [Post 14]

One other thing I would suggest, take a practice shot at very close range. You'd be suprised which pin you need to use. You need to know where your short pin is the one to start using.
Goneelkn

Postby bullrub » 08 02, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Like you said Goneelkn, Practice at close range. I read and article awhile back that said most shots are missed or bad hits from 10 to 20yds. Because they are so close you just shot at the whole animal rather than picking a spot.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby pointysticks » 08 02, 2012 •  [Post 16]

i've heard you use the 40 pin 10 yards or less...true?

i'll try it this weekend. at that range, can you just ignore the pin and just trust instincts?

i would freak with an elk that close..come unglued!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby bullrub » 08 02, 2012 •  [Post 17]

pointysticks wrote:i've heard you use the 40 pin 10 yards or less...true?

i'll try it this weekend. at that range, can you just ignore the pin and just trust instincts?

i would freak with an elk that close..come unglued!

I don't know if thats ture are not, I guess i will have to try that also. The closest shot i made was at 6 or 8yds but i wasn't using any sights at that time.
That's a good guestion.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby POk3s » 08 02, 2012 •  [Post 18]

17 yards. Called a spike in that RAN at me. I was on an old logging road and he was at a gallop when he hit the logging road where he could see and he screeched to a hault....too late.

I know when I'm paper tuning my bow, my arrow hits where my 40 yard pin is....but that's at like 2 yards. It actually did help me out knowing that last year. I had branches right in front of me. My 20 yard pin didn't clear the branch but my 40 was right below it so I let 'er rip. Ended perfectly.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby Goneelkn » 08 02, 2012 •  [Post 19]

For me, it's between the 30 and 40 yard pins.
Goneelkn

Postby shooter21 » 08 12, 2012 •  [Post 20]

13yards screaming in my face was intense !!
shooter21

First Name: vincent
Last Name: lopez

Postby RockyMountainHi » 08 12, 2012 •  [Post 21]

29 yards. When you have only killed one with a bow, it becomes both your longest and shortest kill shot....
RockyMountainHi

First Name: Barton
Last Name: Hill

Postby bowpackerrob » 08 12, 2012 •  [Post 22]

15 yards, and I was shaking so bad I should have missed.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker

Postby Vanish » 08 13, 2012 •  [Post 23]

Haven't killed any elk yet, but closest last year was 3 yards on a grouse with my bow! :D

I've done 8 yards on a whitetail.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby lovestobowhunt » 08 21, 2012 •  [Post 24]

Vanish wrote:Haven't killed any elk yet, but closest last year was 3 yards on a grouse with my bow! :D

I've done 8 yards on a whitetail.

Haven't got a deer or elk yet, but got a raccoon at 20 yards. Nice job with the grouse, those things drive me nuts out walking, when they fly out of a bush and scare the crap out of me. :)
lovestobowhunt

First Name: Colette
Last Name: Roth