Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

It's a long shot..... or is it?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

It's a long shot..... or is it?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 1]

The question I ask is simply this.... After your bow is dialed in and you're shooting well, very well, hunting season well, what is your comfortable range for shooting at:

A. A stationary elk that has no idea you're even in his state. He's feeding or drinking, completely motionless, and the wind/thermals are minimal (and every so slightly blowing in your favor), what do you feel your maximum effective and deadly range is for scenario A?

B. A very nervous elk who has came in to your calls, or, perhaps is walking by your ambush point on a trail. He's alert and is suspicious of something that is not quite right. The wind/thermals are swirling a bit and the beast may bust at any time. What do you feel your maximum effective and deadly range is for scenario B?

There is no significant brush, branches, grass, rain, hail, locust swarms, etc., in the path of your arrow for both scenarios and the terrain is relatively level out to say, 100 yards for both situation A and B. And please, no ethical this or that comments. Just want to see what my fellow wapiti hunters have established as "their" personal limits. I know some of you don't like to set personal limits and will let the situation dictate but be honest, I think we all have our distance comfort limits... What are yours for scenario A and B? RJ

RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: It's a long shot..... or is it?

Postby Swede » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Interesting question RJ. I have set a 40 yard limit on all my shots at elk. I have not considered a difference in senerio A and B. I don't like iffy shots. It is either there or it isn't. I have had very spooky elk before. Sometimes I had a good shot opportunity and sometimes they left before I could draw. If the shot is not there, I wait. I have had to spend a couple of days, including late nights, trying to find a wounded animal. I hate it.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Goneelkn » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 3]

A-40-45 yards
B-25-30 yards

Like Swede said, spending time on wounded animals sucks. I've had to do it a couple times, and the whole time i'm kicking myself. :oops:
Goneelkn

Postby elkohalic » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 4]

A: 60 yards no problem, But I would have to range him at 60. I have shot many whitetails at 60 in these conditions. Knock on wood, without a bad shot in 15+ years.
B: 40 on an alert elk, and never when walking. [well unless he is at 5 yards]
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby N5J » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 5]

A. 50 to 55
B. 30 to 35

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 6]

A. 60
B. 40, maybe out to 60 just depends on the situation like Theelkhunter stated.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby T/H » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 7]

:)
T/H

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 8]

T/H wrote::)

Yeah, I know your answer already surf casting, elk chasing, beach trail cam placing friend :) RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby T/H » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Phantom16 wrote:
T/H wrote::)

Yeah, I know your answer already surf casting, elk chasing, beach trail cam placing friend :) RJ

hey i resemble that remark lol.
T/H

Postby Lefty » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I will only take shots I fully expect to make.

A. Im good to 60-65 yards with perfect conditions, add a breeze and cut that distance to 20-35 yards
B. 15-40yards on a clear shot maybe further depending on what I believe the elks alert status might be; sometimes that could become a no shot situation

B.-2 sometimes there just wont be a shot
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby mattstanton » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 11]

A. 60
B. 40

Follow up shots out to 130 if need be with my slider but only if the first shot hits home. That should get some panties in a bunch!!! (grin) LOL!!!!!
mattstanton

Postby easeup » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Lefty wrote:I will only take shots I fully expect to make.

that is my story and the distance is whatever it is at that time.
easeup

Postby Freebird134 » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 13]

"maximum effective and deadly range"? Heck, I'm deadly out to at least 100. Probably 120. I might never find the elk, and it might take him a few hours to die, but I'm deadly in both situations to about 120.

Now, how far is the farthest I'd shoot? Much different story. I like getting close. I have no interest in 60 yard shots. I can make those shots all day long, but that just isn't as much fun to me as having an animal inside 20. I bowhunt for the experience and long shots are not an experience I enjoy much.

Situation A: 50 yards is the farthest I'd shoot at an elk, and this will likely never happen. If things were as perfect as you describe, I'd be trying to sneak in another 10 yards or more. If I made it to 50 yards, I can probably make it to 40. If there was no chance of sneaking closer, and I really wanted that animal, 50 yards it is.

Situation B: I'm assuming this animal is standing still (you mentioned "walking by your ambush point"). This is the situation where sneaking in closer isn't an option. I'd have to judge the nervousness of the animal--really, how likely I think he is to move/jump the shot. A 40 yard shot is still possible here, but if he's really tense and aggitated and moving a bit, I could limit myself down a lot.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon