Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Moo cow Decoys! How do you make them work for you?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 1]

There might be too many parts to the question. What experiences have you had using a moo-cow decoy, they have be around for a long time. I think they could work well in some rifle situations bringing a hunter in from longer ranges to something closer.
When do the elk say enough and bug out. How close have you gotten to elk with a moo-cow

Being an avid goose hunter, as goose decoys have changed and improved I see how about any sleeper shell decoy will put geese on the ground and the geese will go to sleep with the decoys.
More active positions, full body decoys, shells or silhouettes depending on the brands and situation geese will often land outside the decoys, maybe because they are suspicious of the decoys. Or the geese may land in the decoys and become suspicious and leave
What about moo-cow decoys for elk ?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: Moo cow Decoys! How do you make them work for you?

Postby N5J » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Depends on your hunting situation and area . Where we hunt the cowboys have the cattle out of the National Forest before hunting season so we never seen elk and cattle together. If your hunting a ranch where the elk and cattle mix daily it might work. When I've seen elk in fields with cattle they are usually seperated not mixed together.

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby ElkManDan » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Never used a Moo Cow decoy but I can tell you that Cattle don't bother elk as much as you would think. Got a long story about that but I'll give you the condensed version.

Out late the night before helping a friend look for a poorly shot doe. Woke up late, went back out to look for doe. Saw some bucks, grabbed camera and nothing else to try and get vid of my dad stalking in on buck. Buck took off. Started looking for doe, walking down a logging road talking loudly and all of the sudden my Dad spotted an elk 100 yards away. About 6 head of cattle feeding about 70 yards up the hill from us. Looked down and my bow wasn't in my hand, Cursed a few times. Reached down for my calls, No calls, cursed some more. Borrowed my Dad's calls, luckily he had his bow from going after the buck. I backed up, called the 6x6 bull away from a half dozen cow elk right past the cattle and my Dad shot the bull 50 yards away from the cattle. My buddy walks around the corner on the logging road just in time to see the bull giving his last few kicks. He hadn't seen any of it, the look on his face was priceless!!!

My point there were half a dozen elk and half a dozen cattle feeding within100 yards on a hillside and we were definitely able to get away with more noise and movement with the cattle around.
ElkManDan

Postby 2OArchery » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 4]

There was an outfit that used to run cattle where we hunt elk. There was a cow elk that thought she was a beef cow. The lived with the cattle, moved with the cattle. Wintered in the meadows with the cattle. Even went through the chutes with the cattle. They never gave her shots or anything, but she went through with the rest of them. This was probably 30 years ago, or more. They had several pictures of her going through the chutes and in the corrals with the cattle.

I would imagine that if there were cattle in the area, it would probably work just fine.
2OArchery