Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Video your elk hunt?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Video your elk hunt?

Postby foxvalley » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Just curious to see who is planning on video recording their hunt.
I picked up a GO PRO hero for a different venture, but am going to try it on this years hunt. Anybody plan on using the hero on their hunt,or used one on a previous hunt?
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Re: Video your elk hunt?

Postby Charkbait » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 2]

https://vimeo.com/28926672

shot this last year on my gopro off my stabilizer, not the greatest but nice to have. It is extremely limited at any distance over 10 yards, mine was a 15yd shot and is basically invisible.
Charkbait

Postby Freebird134 » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I got the GoPro this year too. I have no misconceptions about the GoPro--it's meant for short range, up-close and personal shots. There are definitely better cameras for zooming in on wildlife. I know it may not show the impact of my arrow on a bull, but it's going to be a great tool to document the whole hunting experience.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby eltaco » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I tried to take video a few years ago and found that I needed to get a device with better optical zoom capability. Anything outside of 40yds was very tough to work with even with the zoom range that I had. I'd like to get something figured out tho, because we've had some great encounters that I really wish were on video!
eltaco

Postby mongopino915 » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Here is a decent video taken by my hunting friend with a GoPro clipped to a head cap. The elk was about 20 yards away but appeared much further in the video. The arrow chipped a tree and completely missed the bull. Hope the link works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FthRmkw1 ... el&list=UL
mongopino915

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Hey, good video clip! Yes it does look like the bull is way out there! (grin)

Too, now you see why I recommend the nervous grunt over a cow call to anchor a bull or cow! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby PHELPS GAME CALLS » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 7]

We've been at it for the last two years. We continue to get better and invest in new equipment and editing equipment. We picked up some GoPro's to go along with the Sony and Cannon. It is a blast and adds a whole new difficulty.

PHELPS GAME CALLS
Site Sponsor

Postby foxvalley » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Thanks for posting all the video!

Although the range is very limited, you really get a good feel for whats going on,and it really got the blood pumping!

I guess we will just have to call old brutus in to 10 feet to get some close ups......lol. Thanks again, Doug
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby 32hunter » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 9]

i am going to try to use a scorpian that was issued to me at work. its about 3 inches long and 1 inch wide. was thinking about mounting it to my cap and use it only for close encounters. it has pretty good video quality except in low light just pluggs into my laptop and holds 2 hours of video. I just need to figure out how to mount it so i wont loose it lol
32hunter

First Name: Kurt
Last Name: Griego

Postby mlauber » 07 26, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I use a Contour 1080P HD. It is strictly a close quarters video device good to about 40 yards. Letting animals in to 20 yards is about the best you could hope for on video clarity.

I mount the camera on my left side of my ball cap by sewing in a 1.5" piece of elastic & using the hat mount that came with the camera. This way where ever I pan my head the camera follows. The bow shots are hard to capture in great detail, but my sping turkey hunts with a shotgun were awesome!

The level of clarity on the Contour is very good. What I like about it is the hands free aspect of it on the side of my head. I leave it mounted all day up there on my cap. It weighs four ounces & is no trouble to operate.

A slick little device that I am sure having alot of fun with for the money.

Here is a sample of my video work... a work in progress that is! Ha!

http://contour.com/stories/hen-coming-in-fast
mlauber