Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

My son is a natural elk caller!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

My son is a natural elk caller!

Postby eltaco » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I wish I had a video to back it up, but had to share a proud dad moment with you guys.

My son is nearing 16-months old, and he's a bugling phenom! Mama caught me red-handed when we hopped in the truck the other day and he started bugling... tough to claim not-guilty on that one! This weekend I was working on some elk calling, and all the while he was walking around with his own bugle tube throwing in bugles and grunts the whole time. The best part is, he's starting to link his bugles with grunts... and dang if it doesn't sound good, too.

I had to explain to the daycare lady what the grunting was all about... I'm sure she was wondering what that boy was learning at home as he walks around all day making grunting sounds.

I need to get this on video, but so far I've failed. It's amazing how these kids know when the camera comes on!
eltaco

Re: My son is a natural elk caller!

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Ha Ha, awesome stuff Jeremy!! I would love too see & hear the lad!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby eltaco » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 3]

ElkNut1 wrote:Ha Ha, awesome stuff Jeremy!! I would love too see & hear the lad!

ElkNut1

I'm trying so hard to get it on video!!! Its driving me wild that I haven't gotten it yet! He's no ElkNut, but give it time, he doesn't lack the enthusiasm to get there!

The kid can barely say 10 words, but he can speak elk... I'll take it!
eltaco

Postby Goneelkn » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Put a trail cam on video in the house :lol: Just be sure to remember it's there.
Goneelkn

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Goneelkn wrote:Put a trail cam on video in the house :lol: Just be sure to remember it's there.

Well said Goneelkn.. I don't want to see a pirate video of Taco in his BVDs, or, any clips of his "bugle" :o
Very cool stuff about the young eltaco, making elk sounds at daycare.. Classic!
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 6]

My 8 year old daughter can bugle without a reed and sounds really good! If I was only an 8 year old girl myself, I would be able to win all kinds of elk calling competitions. For those of you who know me, please don't tell my hunting buddies I want to be an 8 year old girl. :lol:
JohnFitzgerald

Postby eltaco » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I went to a hunt expo in SLC, UT last winter and had the good fortune of standing at Bugling Bull's booth when a girl about that age showed up with her dad. She could call with only her voice, and I kid you not... she made sounds that ElkNut himself could never make with a diaphragm. Her sounds were so realistic it absolutely blew me away. Rockie and the rest of the guys at the booth were absolutely blown away and told her dad to get her to the World Championships, because she'd walk away with it. It was really cool to watch as they coached her for just a brief few minutes... everything they asked her to try she hit perfectly on the first attempt. Wish I had a video to back it up... maybe I should try to find something on youtube.
eltaco

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Good stuff guys!!! I agree those kids can make sounds with their voice that would make us blush!!! (grin) They can sound so realistic! That's great to hear from all you guys!

My 6 year old grandson entered the Elk calling Comp over the weekend, he took 1st out of 9 kids up to the age of 8, it did great, all he used was his voice & no doubt would get a bull to respond!! (grin) Thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul