Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

where to camp

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

where to camp

Postby bnsafe » 07 22, 2012 •  [Post 1]

all right colorado guys. im hunting rabbit ears state trust land for muzzleloading season. im all set except cant figure out where to camp. ive talked to the area manager in steamboat springs and he says theres some public camping about 20 miles from there but i cant find anything on a map. there is a campground (dumont i think, dont have the map in front of me) a few miles past where im gonna be, not sure exactly how far but manager didnt mention goin there. help me find a place to camp. thought about asking if i could just live out of my blazer in the parking lot but not sure if it closes at a certain time. all they told me was no camping on the state trust land so i assume that means the parking lot even though i wouldnt have a tent out. kinda wish now i had picked a different area but not wanting to change up this late in the game. any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: where to camp

Postby bnsafe » 07 22, 2012 •  [Post 2]

and trust me, i have researched this for hours, called area managers and biologists, etc. i wouldnt post my hunting location without needing some serious help. where to camp is my achilles heel. im sure its not a big deal after i get out there but im gettin an ulcer worrying about it. thanks again
bnsafe

Postby cnelk » 07 22, 2012 •  [Post 3]

bnsafe
Im going to venture a guess that along with hunting the RE STL you will also venture in the Mexican Ridge area...

Knowing that, you may also want to look into the Indian Cr area [GMU 17, just across the road to the east] and Forest Rd 103 for some camping areas and even hunting.
Your ML tag is good for both those GMUs and others in North Park.

You will have many options in that area.

Good Luck!
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Goneelkn » 07 22, 2012 •  [Post 4]

There's enough NF land around there, you can camp anywhere on NF.
Goneelkn

Postby bnsafe » 07 22, 2012 •  [Post 5]

mexican ridge is where i was told to go so yep im headin that direction, although im hopin a cow is closer to the road than where i have to access it to get there. its a long walk from the parking areas to mexican ridge. and i think indian creek rd was where i was told to camp, just cant seem to find it on any of my maps. think i just need to relax and find it when i get out there, im just type a when it comes to stuff like that. thanks for the help and tips, you guys are great and i really appreciate it.
bnsafe

Postby cnelk » 07 22, 2012 •  [Post 6]

bnsafe

Check your PM for GPS coords

You can camp most anywhere along the NF roads as long it it considered 'Dispersed Camping areas' - that means you can camp within 300ft of the road.
The FS people watch this closely.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K