Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Genetics

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Genetics

Postby Swede » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 1]

In the area I hunt I have noticed that bull's antlers have distinct characteristics in different areas. Those areas may be just a few thousand acres. In one local, the bulls usually have small tops. In another area one antler side has very small 4ths on a 5 point, while in another area all tines being unusually very short is common. I don't think this is an environmental matter as it does not change from year to year and it is common to only certain places. Those unique qualities are clear enough, that if you hunted out on my camp and brought in one of those bull, I could say approximately where you were when you shot it. Have any of you noticed this or something similar where you hunt, and what are some of the unique qualities you have seen?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Genetics

Postby bullrub » 08 01, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I have also noticed that over the years. One characteristic in an area we use to hunt was one of the eyeguards on the leftside was always short and turned down. We killed 7 bulls out of that area and everyone them were the same. Other hunters that still hunt that area have noticed the same thing. I think it is the genetics for that area. Now not every bull that has came out of there has that characteristic, but more often that not.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters