Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Herd bull or satellite?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Herd bull or satellite?

Postby cnelk » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Here are a couple pics I took of a decent 5x6 bull a few years ago.
This is a good representative of a good bull where I hunt...

Is this a herd bull where you hunt? Or satellite bull?

cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Re: Herd bull or satellite?

Postby hornart » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I would say that is probably a herd bull,but depending on your areas that could also be a satellite bull. If most of your bulls average that size
hornart

First Name: steve
Last Name: smith

Postby Swede » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 3]

This is definiteiy a herd bull. Two years ago I killsd a 4x4 late September which was herd bull. I felt sorry for the cows that had settled for him so I shot him so they could go on and find a better bull. It was the last Saturday of the season, so I did not take the time to discuss the decision with the herd before I shot.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby eltaco » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Depends on the year in my area. Two years ago this bull was a satellite, but last year the cows would take any action they could get!
eltaco

Postby 2OArchery » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Sattelite.
2OArchery

Postby cnelk » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 6]

eltaco wrote: but last year the cows would take any action they could get!

I met some of those cows one evening.... :)
cnelk

Postby stringunner » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I don't know that a bull's size is always indicative of them being the top bull or not... in the area I hunt I have seen bulls bigger than that (the one pictured) dogging the herd trying to steal cows while the "herd bull" is a rangy looking 5x5 that is quite a bit smaller both antler and body.....but boy could that 5x5 fight. Never seen anything like it.
stringunner

Postby elkaholic » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 8]

The bulls attitude has a lot to do with it as does the caliber of bulls in the area. I have seen bulls similiar to this be the herd bulls but in others they are outcasts. Totally dependant on the area.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby elkmtngear » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Depends....if a bull has just one or two cows, is he a "herd bull", or just a satellite who got lucky?
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Swede » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Jeff that is a good question you asked. Please let me take a stab at answering. In the Ochoco/Mahheur zone, where I believe you will be hunting this year, all bulls make up only 9.4% of the elk herds. That is taken from ODF&Ws latest 2011 statistics. That means there would be 10.6 cows for every bull including spikes. Based on over 20 years experience hunting that same zone, I can safely say that fewer than 20% of the bulls are major 5 or 6 pointers. That means there are at least 53 other elk for every large bull. Oregon has a management objective of maintaining ten bulls per 100 elk. They believe that is adequate to maintain healthy herds. Based on those numbers it is easy to see that there are many smaller happy bulls.
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Around these parts he has some serious potential to be a herd bull. But I did see one that could have been his twin brother last year that wasn't cowed up. Reguardless, either one of them would sure look good on the end of my arrow.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby cnelk » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Thanks for the replies guys!

Lets branch off just a bit...

What is your definition of an elk herd? How many cows [with a bull] does it take for you to say..."There is a herd bull with cows!"
cnelk

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Where we generally hunt, there's a good chance that would be a herd bull! It could go either way, no way would I pass on that bull though!

My definition of a herd bull? If you shoot it then it has to have at least 5 cows, if I shoot then one cow is good!! (big grin)

ElkNUt1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 14]

cnelk, it depends on when I see them. In early to mid September I could see a small bull with 20 cows. but he is just a pretender waiting for a bigger bull to move him out. In late September at peak rut, I would go with a much smaller number say 3 or 4. Those smaller bulls can't hold onto a large harem, but the big boys can't hold all of the cows either at least where I hunt. In the end I suspect it depends to a great extent on where you are hunting.
Swede

Postby elkmtngear » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Swede,
Those numbers seem to make sense, or at least it explains what I am used to seeing when I elk hunt. I have killed a couple of small 5x5 bulls that had a single cow, but they both acted very aggressive when they believed another bull was moving in (lip bawl bugles, stomping the ground, charging in to meet the rival bull). So, subdominant bulls can be pretty good "posers" when love is involved.

Best of Luck,
Jeff
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby foxvalley » 07 20, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Where I hunt it's mostly dark timber and I think the herd bull has a hard time keeping a large harem. The average herd that I see is 1 bull, 1 or 2 cows.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby rjdumas » 07 22, 2012 •  [Post 17]

If I see a bull like that where I hunt that a dead bull. I'm praying opening morning I see one like that or a cow ha ha
rjdumas

First Name: rj
Last Name: dumas

Postby ElkManDan » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Herd bull one day, Satellite the next. These are terms that really don't have a true definition. If a bull with a Herd walks into my calls and I shoot him a raghorn bull steps in and takes over his cows by most people's definition he is now the herd bull. Some define a herd bull as a wise old bull who does a good job at keeping his herd together and is able to breed cows year after year avoiding his untimely demise. I have found that regardless of how many cows a bull has most bulls under 4 years old (5pts, small 6pts, raghorns, and spikes) are much easier to pull away from their cows. Bulls that I consider to be herd bulls are the mature bulls that have a nice herd of cows (10+) gathered that have obviously learned how to manage a herd and keep them safe and in tact, not a bull that has some cows by default because big daddy finally made his final mistake. BTW, I've taken some raghorns, 5pts, and a six with my bow and one herd bull with my rifle but I'm still looking for that Wise old herd bull that I can get into bow range!!!
ElkManDan

Postby eltaco » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 19]

ElkManDan wrote:Herd bull one day, Satellite the next. These are terms that really don't have a true definition. If a bull with a Herd walks into my calls and I shoot him a raghorn bull steps in and takes over his cows by most people's definition he is now the herd bull. Some define a herd bull as a wise old bull who does a good job at keeping his herd together and is able to breed cows year after year avoiding his untimely demise. I have found that regardless of how many cows a bull has most bulls under 4 years old (5pts, small 6pts, raghorns, and spikes) are much easier to pull away from their cows. Bulls that I consider to be herd bulls are the mature bulls that have a nice herd of cows (10+) gathered that have obviously learned how to manage a herd and keep them safe and in tact, not a bull that has some cows by default because big daddy finally made his final mistake. BTW, I've taken some raghorns, 5pts, and a six with my bow and one herd bull with my rifle but I'm still looking for that Wise old herd bull that I can get into bow range!!!

Maybe if you'd stop shooting them in August you'd know the difference between a herd bull and satellite! :D your bulls didn't even get the chance to decide what they were going to be!
eltaco

Postby ElkManDan » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 20]

Maybe if you'd stop shooting them in August you'd know the difference between a herd bull and satellite! :D your bulls didn't even get the chance to decide what they were going to be!

Alright, sorry, I'll take my time this year but you know what than means, Less time for me to call for you in Colorado :)
ElkManDan

Postby cnelk » 07 25, 2012 •  [Post 21]

eltaco wrote:Maybe if you'd stop shooting them in August you'd know the difference between a herd bull and satellite! :D your bulls didn't even get the chance to decide what they were going to be!

Now that was funny!!!
cnelk

Postby bearman da man » 07 27, 2012 •  [Post 22]

Far as I'm concerned, it depends on early or later part of the season where I hunt. Late August/Early Sept., a satelite bull who is a "wannabe herd bull" and think's he has the "right stuff" because he has two yearling cows but when the rut comes around, he learns that his horns aren't going to be clipped that year.
bearman da man