Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Controlling Adrenaline

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Controlling Adrenaline

Postby cnelk » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 1]

How do you control the 'Rush' of adrenaline when you see that bull coming in?

Deep breaths?

Slow blinks?

:)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Re: Controlling Adrenaline

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I don't know if there actually is a cure. I have never had that problem so it is really hard for me to understand. My old hunting buddy used to call me a cold blooded/ permeditated SOB!

But I have guided alot of hunters and two really stand out in in my mind. One of them actually got to breathing so hard I thought he was going to hyperventalate. And that was just from telling him to "Get ready" because the bull was coming in. We hadn't even seen the bull yet. I guided this fell five times over the years before he finally got a cow. He never did get rid of his problem.

Another fellow got so shook up that his knees were actually shaking. I'm not kidding! I thought he was going to loose his balance and fall over. LOL!

These guys are probably extreme cases. I think the average guy with a problem just has to talk himself out of it. If anyone comes up with a better idea, I'd sure like to hear it. Maybe I could use it on these two guys I mentioned.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I still get an adrenalin rush when a big elk comes into shooting range. It has never been so sever that I was incapacitated or shaking. I notice it the most after I have shot the animal. When I see a shooter, I focus on what I need to do and only pay enough attention to the animal to keep track of him. I have already decided I will kill him, so I do not focus on his antlers or any particular part of his body. I watch where he is looking and how he is behaving so I don't spook him. It is a matter of focus. When I draw my bow I aim at a very small spot on his body and shoot at that exact location. When the shot has landed I keep track of where he is going and how he reacted. I listen carefully to determine if he goes down nearby. When that in finished I focus on the last place I saw him and store that in my mind. Then I sit down to rest. I am excited and need a couple minuted to wind down.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Im all natural

I cant control it
:lol: :oops:

However time did help. My first bull encounter happened fast, I did everything right
My 2nd i had a bachelor party show up, with 6; 6x6 I failed miserably. I couldn’t operate my camera or range finder. After 10 minutes I drew on a bull at 27 yards, I did all the correct mechanics of drawing then passed on the shot. My biggest mistake the two huge bulls were 18 yards away and I didn’t even think to take the shot. Last year while in the herd the first 10 minutes I was a wreck. But hanging out with the elk for a few hours I was able to settle down.
Time during the encounter seems to help.
For me I think it will just take more experience to settle down.
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby elkmtngear » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 5]

All my focus goes to the spot I want the arrow to enter his body. I never look at the head/antlers once I have confirmed I am going to shoot him.

I shoot first, then I have my little shaking spell. ;)
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Controlling Adrenaline

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I always get a rush before a shot regardless of what the animal is- big buck, doe, whatever.

I'm going to practice shooting by running sprints then shooting one shot. Then sprinting again and shooting one more. I don't think I can ever control getting a rush, so I'm hoping that i can learn to control the pounding pulse and heavy breathing for the 7-10 seconds it takes to draw and shoot.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby 2OArchery » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Experience helps. Focus.

My first several encounters resulted in me shaking so much I couldn't have made a shot if I'd had one.

Last year, I only had one opportunity. I was so excited that I had such a perfect shot that I forgot to hold under, I shot over his back due to the steep hillside we were on. I felt rock steady, though.

If I ever lose that rush, I'll quit. That's the whole reason I hunt.
2OArchery

Postby cnelk » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 8]

When I first see that glimpse of movement, a wave of adrenaline washes quickly thru me.

As quickly as it came, its gone... THEN its 'game on'...

My elk hunting buddies say I have so much chill running thru my veins I sweat ice cubes... :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby tracker12 » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I live in Maryland in an area with unlimited does. I shoot a lot. Helps my shooting, helps the hungery (I donate a bunch) and most importantly it helps me be patient and wait for the very best shot. I'll let a does stand around for ever if she is feeding before I decide to take the shot. I was lucky to draw a UT elk a few years ago. A guy was videoing my bull as he came in to about 25 yards bugling all the way. He almost walked by me before he turned back towards the cows. Just as he let out a big bugle I shot. My buddy jumped so bad he didn't get much of the shot. He said I waited so long he thought I was going to let the bull pass and almost S&*T his pants when the gun went off. I was just enjoying the whole situation and didn't want it to end.
tracker12

Postby POk3s » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I rarely remember drawing my bow or shouldering my rifle.....it just happens and I usually remember my site picture when my bow or rifle goes off. It takes me 10 minutes or so to calm down and when I actually start thinking about what happened I can usually piece everything together on how it "must of happened" then I get a smile on my face and the tracking begins :) .
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Controlling Adrenaline

Postby Buckriser » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 11]

It's hard for me to control it. I typically will start taking deep breaths and try and concentrate on the shot placement and not think of the antlers/animal.

I think it's part of the fun of hunting. I think if I didn't get the adrenaline rush I wouldn't hunt anymore?
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Postby stringunner » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 12]

The first bull I ever shot, actually the first elk I ever really even drew back on was a big 6x6 that scored around 320, this was in Wyoming, he came running in from about 150 years out, we watched him the whole way. I was ready, positioned good and had ample time to draw back and select my spot......at 12 yards he stopped broad side looking down the hill toward my dad who was calling. As I was anticipating the release, I heard a clink, darted my eyes down to see what it was and my arrow had fallen off my rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The bull heard it/scene and spun and ran.....I felt like an idiot. My dad kept calling and the bull came back. I had the arrow knocked again and was ready this time, came right back in 17 yards broad side, I didn't miss that time, he only ran 80 yards. My dad watched the whole thing happen and told me that my arrow fell off the first time because I was shaking so bad, to this day I don't remember shaking but he said he could see me shaking from 40 yards away, we have no idea how that bull didn't notice that.....

On the next bull I shot, I like Trent mentioned, didn't even realize that I had shot. I watched 4-5 cows walk out first and I was going to shoot any of them but they never stopped. Then the bull walked out broad side 42 yards, my buddy behind me stopped him with a short cow call, I don't even remember hitting the release, but heard a big thwack and the elk were gone. Within seconds we heard loud loud coughing and then all was quite. Waited 20 minutes then walked down to get my arrow, the bull was laying about 30 yards away, no shaking that time!
stringunner

Controlling Adrenaline

Postby slim9300 » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 13]

POk3s wrote:I rarely remember drawing my bow or shouldering my rifle.....it just happens and I usually remember my site picture when my bow or rifle goes off. It takes me 10 minutes or so to calm down and when I actually start thinking about what happened I can usually piece everything together on how it "must of happened" then I get a smile on my face and the tracking begins :) .

I have killed 10 elk and every one has happened just like this (1 with a muzzleloader and 9 with my bow). I couldn't control the adrenaline rush if I wanted to. I feel like I'm basically floating. My partner is the exact opposite. He's calm, cool and collected and remembers every single detail. I don't get it. :)
slim9300

Postby POk3s » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Glad to see others are like me :)

Last year I had cows as close as 12 yards and the bull was at 55 yards. Wind in my face and nothing ever knew I was there. I remember he was almost broadside once as he took a step and really exposed his vitals. Still a little quartered to me I waited. I actually remember exerting force to draw back and stopped myself saying, "he has no idea I'm here, no need to rush it." He took a few more steps and I remember saying, there it is, but don't remember drawing. I settled my 40 yard pin on him (downhill, and I remember that) and then don't remember touching off the release but I remember seeing my arrow flex through the air in slow motion and hitting him perfectly in the heart. The real shocker is I remember looking at my phone and it was 6:01. Why I looked at my phone so quickly after I shot I don't know. Then I commenced to absolutely going nuts on the mountain. Spiked my bugle tube like I had just scored a touchdown (thanks Paul for making high quality equipment ;) ). I ripped off my rangefinder and just went absolutely nuts. It felt like 30 seconds had passed but the next time I looked at my phone it was 6:09. 8 minutes had passed of me just in an adrenaline rushed frenzy. I just hope I make shots like that every year :)
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby 32hunter » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Does peeing urself count? I have a friend who wets his pants every time a bull comes in. He still manages to get the shot off and has taken a couple nice bulls but after the shot is gone he has a wet spot running down his leg. funniest thing i have ever seen. He will laugh about it and takes our ribbing real well but its nuts. he says he doesnt realize he does it. he is so focused on the elk and the shot. a few years ago we were hunting towards the end of september. the rut was almost over but we had a few bulls still screaming early in the day. the third morning of the hunt it was cold. we set up on a small herd above a meadow between their feeding and bedding area. we were cow calling and a nice 6x6 came in on a string. we watched him comming from about 100 yards away. the bull got within about 30 yards then turned left and ran back to his cows. they moved off and my friend stood up. I looked at him and noticed sream comming off his pants. i rolled on the ground for ten minutes then went back to camp with him to change. This year i am giving him something to help him out. i dont know if he will like it or not it just DEPENDS!!!!!
32hunter

First Name: Kurt
Last Name: Griego

Controlling Adrenaline

Postby slim9300 » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 16]

32hunter wrote:Does peeing urself count? I have a friend who wets his pants every time a bull comes in. He still manages to get the shot off and has taken a couple nice bulls but after the shot is gone he has a wet spot running down his leg. funniest thing i have ever seen. He will laugh about it and takes our ribbing real well but its nuts. he says he doesnt realize he does it. he is so focused on the elk and the shot. a few years ago we were hunting towards the end of september. the rut was almost over but we had a few bulls still screaming early in the day. the third morning of the hunt it was cold. we set up on a small herd above a meadow between their feeding and bedding area. we were cow calling and a nice 6x6 came in on a string. we watched him comming from about 100 yards away. the bull got within about 30 yards then turned left and ran back to his cows. they moved off and my friend stood up. I looked at him and noticed sream comming off his pants. i rolled on the ground for ten minutes then went back to camp with him to change. This year i am giving him something to help him out. i dont know if he will like it or not it just DEPENDS!!!!!

That's classic. Poor guy! :)
slim9300

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Good Stuff guys!!! I've had a few rushes over the years, heck I hope I can never control it!!! (grin) Nothing like a great rush like that!!! I will say it does take ice water in the veins at times, I look forward to a few moments like that for this year!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 18]

So I googled ways to control adrenaline and I read one that really caught my attention. When you feel the adrenaline starting to flow, close your eyes and image a light deep inside your body. Count to 20 out loud at the same time your concentrating on the light. I started thinking that this might actually work because when you open your eyes the elk will be gone! Problem solved right! Ha ha :P
JohnFitzgerald

Controlling Adrenaline

Postby slim9300 » 07 24, 2012 •  [Post 19]

JohnFitzgerald wrote:So I googled ways to control adrenaline and I read one that really caught my attention. When you feel the adrenaline starting to flow, close your eyes and image a light deep inside your body. Count to 20 out loud at the same time your concentrating on the light. I started thinking that this might actually work because when you open your eyes the elk will be gone! Problem solved right! Ha ha :P

Lol. :)
slim9300

Postby mlauber » 07 26, 2012 •  [Post 20]

Placed sticker on the upper limb of my bow when I started deer hunting 30 years ago. To this day I still place it on my equipment because during crunch time I need to stay focused.

The sticker say, " Stay clam & pick a spot".

It realy helps to practice what I call the three C's.

Stay cool, calm, & collective. Seeing game & being in their presence helps me out. I get use to their presence. I don't get as rattled.

I never loose the rush. I just have learned how to better control it.
mlauber

Postby bullrub » 07 26, 2012 •  [Post 21]

mlauber wrote:Placed s sticker on the upper limb of my bow when I started deer hunting 30 years ago. To this day I still place it on my equipment because during crunch time I need to stay focused.

The sticker say, " Stay clam & pick a spot".

It realy helps to practice what I call the three C's.

Stay cool, calm, & collective. Seeing game & being in their presence helps me out. I get use to their presence. I don't get as rattled.

I never loose the rush. I just have learned how to better control it.

You just sumed it up mlauber, learn to control it. I have been blessed with taking 26 elk with a bow and 2 with a rifle. I still get that rush and i hope it never goes away.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters