Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Aug. 18, Utah, how to hunt them

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby Goodwinrv » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Aug. 18 is a very early opener, I plan on sitting water and wallows but my question is what kind of calls to use this early?
Goodwinrv

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Goodwin

Re: Aug. 18, Utah, how to hunt them

Postby mattstanton » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 2]

spot and stalk with sparse calling. The bulls will be bachelored up and probably still up high. Get up there and let your eyes do the walking. This calling routine works well in early season but I am not sure this early.

http://soundcloud.com/mattstanton-1/ear ... ng-routine

repeat this routine every 5-10 minutes for an hour in an area with fresh sign. Had lots of bulls come in quiet.
mattstanton

Postby Buckriser » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 3]

What tag do you have? Limited entry unit or spike/cow only, or any bull unit?
Buckriser

Last Name: Riser

Postby Goodwinrv » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I have hunters choise tag. Would like to shoot a bull, but only
8 days to hunt so I won't pass up a good shot at a nice cow.
Not sure if or how bulls will respond at this time?
Goodwinrv

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Goodwin

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 20, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I agree with Matts thoughts, in addition to this the Blind/Cold calling can attract other elk at this time as well. Elk are a herd animal & that sequence can peak their curiosity! However, I would not use it while sitting water or wallows, no need! You will already be at a "destination spot" Blind/Cold calling is generally used in non destination spots best!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby eltaco » 07 20, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Matt's calling technique will be productive at that time of year. I'd say not to throw out anything too dominant that early unless you get called out first!

Bulls in bachelor herds can be a lot of fun at this time. I had a group of 5 bulls come in on calls opening week last season, which was only a week later. My dad ended up arrowing the 6pt in the group, but we missed somje opportunities at a 5pt and couldn't legally shoot the curious spike.

If you're going to try cold calling... stay the course!! This time of year, you can have a lot of curious elk wander in unannounced. Never ever setup a calling scenario without nocking an arrow... you'll be amazed how close they can get in dark timber before you even notice them. I'm almost ashamed to admit that I had a spike make it to 12yds before I noticed... he was only a few yards from my huhting partner, who would have had a great shot, tho :)
eltaco

Postby Charkbait » 07 20, 2012 •  [Post 7]

was there around that time last year, the deer hunters were seeing all the big bulls up high and away from most of the elk.
Charkbait

Postby realunlucky » 07 20, 2012 •  [Post 8]

I would not bugle any elk units get hunted pretty hard opening weekend than again the last week of the season find water up high and wait them out
realunlucky

Postby elkohalic » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 9]

mattstanton wrote:spot and stalk with sparse calling. The bulls will be bachelored up and probably still up high. Get up there and let your eyes do the walking. This calling routine works well in early season but I am not sure this early.

http://soundcloud.com/mattstanton-1/ear ... ng-routine

repeat this routine every 5-10 minutes for an hour in an area with fresh sign. Had lots of bulls come in quiet.

With this routine, what are the elk saying to each other ? Just Curious
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins