Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Distress Sounds & Their Use!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 1]

There's a Topic on this subject, some may feel it's easily defined & its use! But there are plenty of new hunters around that really do not know when is the best use of this sound! Let's name a few situations or setups that this sound could be used effectively during ones elk hunt!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Distress Sounds & Their Use!

Postby mattstanton » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 2]

THREAT!!!! I like to use this in close quarters to sound like a bull stealing one of another bulls cows against her will. This will fire up a herd bull fast!
mattstanton

Postby Swede » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I like using a distress call In a cold calling sequence where the elk are nearby. i.e. A calf in distress would be used to draw in a cow or herd.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby slim9300 » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 4]

mattstanton wrote:THREAT!!!! I like to use this in close quarters to sound like a bull stealing one of another bulls cows against her will. This will fire up a herd bull fast!

Yep. My favorite "technique" in my arsenal.
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I use the distress call to give the impression that a cow is experiencing some type of resistance to her interest in other elk. Like mattstanton suggested, cow being hooked or horned is usually the impression I try to give while using this sound. Intensity of call denotes urgency of the situation.

I've heard of several hunters using a calf distress call to bring in elk as well, but I've never used it. So thinking outside the box here. Do you think elk would come to the aid of other elk if they are are being attacked by a predator? I would assume this same distress call would be used by elk in this situation. Watching several shows on the NatGeo channel I've seen other herd animals rush into dangerous situations to assist. Understandably, there has to be some instinct to help the calfs, but do you think they would do the same for mature elk? Or do they think "....sucks to be you, glad it's not me".
JohnFitzgerald

Postby N5J » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I'm going to try a distressed calf sound on the edge of a known bedding area. I've always heard and had cow elk answer me in the bottom of the dark timber but could never get them to come up. The one time I went in after them I blew them out of there....don't want to make the same mistake twice. :D

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Postby Swede » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 7]

N5J, you are describing what I was referring to. Try it several times if you can and let us know how it turns out. It is ok to shoot the first one you like, but I would be interested in how your experience goes.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics