Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Grunts!! When Would You Use Them?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Lots of talk on Grunts & how to perfect this sound or at least sound respectful! What's very important is the use of them! Hunters should not be using grunts in front of or at the end of every bugle, they are a selective sound used at specific times on specific bulls! So, now that many can imitate this sound what are they reserved for? Can a few folks here please name one & we'll all get a feel for their timing of use! Let's start with the purpose or reason a bull would use grunts in his communication!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Grunts!! When Would You Use Them?

Postby mattstanton » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I see grunts as a pi$$ed off sound. When a bull has told another bull he is there and the bull comes closer, grunts are used by the bull to basically say "i mean business here, this is my area and you better keep your distance or else". As a hunter, I use them to say back to him, I am here to stay so come make me leave!" Grunts are a hard thumping sound with a lot of emotion in them. They mean business.
mattstanton

Re: Grunts!! When Would You Use Them?

Postby Swede » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I would use grunts when real close to a herd with a herd bull. The grunts would be used to notify the big bull that an intruder has arrived and intends to take over. He is expected to come to meet the challenge.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby slim9300 » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 4]

mattstanton wrote:I see grunts as a pi$$ed off sound. When a bull has told another bull he is there and the bull comes closer, grunts are used by the bull to basically say "i mean business here, this is my area and you better keep your distance or else". As a hunter, I use them to say back to him, I am here to stay so come make me leave!" Grunts are a hard thumping sound with a lot of emotion in them. They mean business.

Very good explanation.

I'll give one scenario where grunts were used that they worked like a champ...

As we moved in from about 500 yards away we used a single elongated cow sound (on 4 occasions) to keep this herd bull from moving away and keep him directing us his way. This allowed us to also pin down his location. At 200 yards we shut down the cow calling and quickly moved in. We had moved into what we felt was 90-100 yards from the elk and felt that getting closer put us in jeopardy of blowing him out. I setup as the shooter about 5 yards forward and my partner dropped back about 20 yards. He began with a few elongated cow sounds exactly like we had done the entire way in to the bull. The bull immediately responded with a short scream. A few seconds later Scott began a string of distressed cow sounds with a few excited ones mixed in too followed by a short bugle with chuckles pointed back away from the bull. The bull immediately came unglued and rattled off a challenge bugle with grunts. Scott cut him right off when he was almost done with the grunts, with his own version of the same call. This worked like a charm as the beautiful 330" 6x6 came zig zagging in huffing and puffing the whole way in to 15 yards. He left 8-10 cows at the drop of a hat because he just snapped. I'm sure he was "thinking": I had a cow that wanted me. Then she gets taken right from under my nose. Now this dang bull is challenging me?! That's it! :)

Oh and can someone tell me how a guy hits a limb and 15 yards? :(
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics