Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Post up Your Elk Sounds Part 5 - All of them so far :)

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Let's hear all your elk sounds that we've focused on so far on Elknut's forum... Throw out some herd talk (cow/calf), a locater bugle, bugles w/chuckles, and lastly bugles w/grunts all in one recording. Let's run this one for a while and get some feedback and perhaps, some recommendations for improvement. As we used to say in the Army, we're in the walk phase (crawl, walk, run are the three phases of training for future encounters). The last thread I'll start a bit farther down the road are "special" elk sounds wich will include various noises like estrus buzz, nervous/popping grunt, regathering sound, and perhaps a bit of "the threat" :)... For now campers, let's hear your offering (I know you've been practicing) Herd Talk, Locater Bugle, Bugle w/Chuckles, and Bugle w/Grunts..... How many days (not months) till we step foot into the elk woods :) Let's hear em.. Post em up! ... RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Post up Your Elk Sounds Part 5 - All of them so far :)

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 2]

OK.. I'll go first. Where else can you throw up your elk sounds and get feedback from fellow hunters, a few callers with competition experience, and.... the man himself. Let's hear em.. Not that many days till season to dial your sounds in. Not my best offering but wanted to break the ice on this installment of our post em up threads. I'm always working on my sounds and each year, I seem to find a way to improve something. As Mr. Elknut always sais, it's not so much that your calls are perfect but if you're gonna make elk noises, they need to be appropriate responses to the situation so, they've gotta sound relatively real. RJ

WapitiTalk1

Postby ctdad » 07 20, 2012 •  [Post 3]

http://soundcloud.com/ctdad/audio-recording-on-friday-2

This is good example of how I really sound when i don't have time to focus on one sound but actually string them all out together. A good lesson on how I should be practicing different ways.
ctdad

Postby slim9300 » 07 20, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I couldn't resist. Just ran upstairs to the "man room" and recorded a few takes... :)

http://soundcloud.com/slim9300/mixed-routine
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby slim9300 » 07 20, 2012 •  [Post 5]

slim9300

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 20, 2012 •  [Post 6]

slim9300 wrote:I couldn't resist. Just ran upstairs to the "man room" and recorded a few takes... :)

Very nice Conlan. You're definitely firing on all cylinders. Weird though, I almost thought I heard a "hoochie mama" in your cow sounds.. Nah, can't be :) RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 20, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I have been trying to find time and just have none right now. Hopefully sunday I can post mine. :oops:
Jahnke76

Postby slim9300 » 07 20, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Phantom16 wrote:
slim9300 wrote:I couldn't resist. Just ran upstairs to the "man room" and recorded a few takes... :)

Very nice Conlan. You're definitely firing on all cylinders. Weird though, I almost thought I heard a "hoochie mama" in your cow sounds.. Nah, can't be :) RJ

I figured that if Matt Stanton could do it, so could I. :)
slim9300

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 20, 2012 •  [Post 9]

ctdad wrote:http://soundcloud.com/ctdad/audio-recording-on-friday-2

This is good example of how I really sound when i don't have time to focus on one sound but actually string them all out together. A good lesson on how I should be practicing different ways.

ct.. I think your mechanics are very good but can use a bit of tweaking. Here's my humble recommendations. Cow sounds are a bit puny, most sound like calf sounds. Make sure you have the tip of your tongue on the bottom/back of your lower teeth and as you start the sound, slow the action down just a bit and say "shawww", while dropping your jaw a bit as you exhale. This usually produced a bit more of a raspy cow sound as you reduce tongue pressure on the diaphram. Alternate that with what you're doing now for herd cow/calf talk. Locater works fine (and will work fine in the elk woods) but you don't need to make too many notes. Try to go from just exhaling air (without touching the diaphram) and move quickly move through first/second note on the way to the high note and hold it a few seconds. Last thing, both your bugles seemed to be with chuckles. Check out MattStantons tip on how to produced grunts.. That's a great hip pocket resource for practicing grunts. You're on the cusp buddy.. Looking forward to hearing your next offering.. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 20, 2012 •  [Post 10]

slim9300 wrote:
Phantom16 wrote:

I figured that if Matt Stanton could do it, so could I. :)

Whew! I'm glad you cleared that up. The only other thing I thought it might be is if you had cornered your little pot licker dog in the man room and was stepping on his tail to produce that calf sound :) That would well, just be plain wrong :D
WapitiTalk1

Postby mattstanton » 07 20, 2012 •  [Post 11]

dont be knockin my hoochie mama boys!! great call when used sparingly in the right situation accompanied by other calls. I will post my routine up soon.
mattstanton

Postby slim9300 » 07 20, 2012 •  [Post 12]

mattstanton wrote:dont be knockin my hoochie mama boys!! great call when used sparingly in the right situation accompanied by other calls. I will post my routine up soon.

I actually liked the idea when I heard your recording. I suck at short social chirps and calf sounds and the Hoochie Mama is king at these sounds. Those calls sat in my drawer for 3 years until today. :)
slim9300

Postby mattstanton » 07 20, 2012 •  [Post 13]

mattstanton

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 20, 2012 •  [Post 14]

mattstanton wrote:http://soundcloud.com/mattstanton-1/all-calls

Nicely done sir... Definitely on the mark..
WapitiTalk1

Postby slim9300 » 07 20, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Nice.
slim9300

Postby mattstanton » 07 20, 2012 •  [Post 16]

great routine! I noticed that I get a little carried away with my grunts and need to stop after 4 or 5. That hoochie mama definatly adds to the feeling of multiple elk.
mattstanton

Postby elkaholic » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 17]

slim9300 wrote:

Nice.

Awesome! Hope to get a sound clip up soon.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby ctdad » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Well, I've got a 7 hour drive today and Tuesday by myself so I'll work on your advice. We'll see if 7 hours of alone time with my elknut cd's and calls improves anything.
ctdad

Postby slim9300 » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 19]

mattstanton wrote:

great routine! I noticed that I get a little carried away with my grunts and need to stop after 4 or 5. That hoochie mama definatly adds to the feeling of multiple elk.

Thanks Matt. I like to get carried away with the grunts too when I'm trying to sound my "meanest." I have heard herd bulls late in Sept. string out the grunts like that a few times. They have always been getting harrassed like crazy by satellite bulls or by me. :)
slim9300

Postby slim9300 » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 20]

ctdad wrote:Well, I've got a 7 hour drive today and Tuesday by myself so I'll work on your advice. We'll see if 7 hours of alone time with my elknut cd's and calls improves anything.

It will. I have been there before. :)
slim9300

Postby eltaco » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 21]

ctdad wrote:Well, I've got a 7 hour drive today and Tuesday by myself so I'll work on your advice. We'll see if 7 hours of alone time with my elknut cd's and calls improves anything.

Make sure to bring some earplugs :)
eltaco

Postby bonkellekter » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 22]

Ok... finally got some time to practice a little more and put together a recording.

http://soundcloud.com/ryanmac0051/elk-sounds
bonkellekter

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: MacArthur

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 21, 2012 •  [Post 23]

bonkellekter wrote:Ok... finally got some time to practice a little more and put together a recording.

http://soundcloud.com/ryanmac0051/elk-sounds

Nice! Great alteration between the cow/calf sounds.. sound good. Really like the final bugle w/grunts starting at .52. I hear great realism in your calls here.
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 23, 2012 •  [Post 24]

ttt... Let's hear em Elknut Forum friends.. Herd talk (social conversation between cows/calfs), locater bugle, bugles w/chuckles, bugles w/grunts. For the newer guys, it's a good opportunity for feedback; for the mid-level guys, it's a good opportunity to practice and hear what you sound like on tape :); for the seasoned guys, well you give all of us some various methods to listen and learn from. I'm certainly no expert but am always trying to improve my calling. tic toc, tic toc... The elk woods are right around the corner.. RJ
WapitiTalk1