Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Distressed Cow/Calf Elk Sound?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby N5J » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 1]

What does a distressed cow elk or calf sound like? I'm reading where Paul uses it but can't find the sound on his Cd's.

N5J

James
N5J

First Name: J
Last Name: N

Re: Distressed Cow/Calf Elk Sound?

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 2]

N5J wrote:What does a distressed cow elk or calf sound like? I'm reading where Paul uses it but can't find the sound on his Cd's.

N5J

James

Are you referring to an excited cow sound N5J?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby N5J » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I don't know...Paul talks about using cow in distress sounds in his book. I can't find any so I'm trying to figure out what he is talking about.

N5J

James
N5J

Postby slim9300 » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 4]

N5J wrote:What does a distressed cow elk or calf sound like? I'm reading where Paul uses it but can't find the sound on his Cd's.

N5J

James

Listen to a clip of Paul doing level 3 of the threat and you will know exactly what the worst distressed sound are. They don't sound like excited sounds, they sound like pained / freaking out type sounds. They are basically calls for help. Paul says to imagine a cow being mounted when she doesn't want to be, possible bit by the bull or jabbed with his antlers. When you hear the sound, that's what you will think about since it almost doesn't sound natural. I will tell you that it works though!
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby N5J » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Got it....Thanks!

N5J

James
N5J

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Yes, Vol-4 Worse Than Wolves shares the sounds & when to use them! Let us know if you need more info!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Paul: That might be a good one to add to your Elknut Video Clips if you haven't done so already.
>>>---WW---->

Postby slim9300 » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 8]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Paul: That might be a good one to add to your Elknut Video Clips if you haven't done so already.

But Bill. He can't give away all his secrets for free. :)
slim9300

Postby N5J » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Of all the tapes I got from Paul that tape wasn't one of them. I did find a video on utube where a griz was taking down a calf elk....the calfs plees were louder and quicker. I was going to try this sound on the edge of a known bedding area and wait for a response. Think this will work?

N5J

James
N5J

Postby slim9300 » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 10]

N5J wrote:Of all the tapes I got from Paul that tape wasn't one of them. I did find a video on utube where a griz was taking down a calf elk....the calfs plees were louder and quicker. I was going to try this sound on the edge of a known bedding area and wait for a response. Think this will work?

N5J

James

I would say it's not the best choice. If you are trying to kill a cow the calf distress sound would be a much better choice in my humble opinion. Without adding a bull sound to the series of distressed cow sounds you could very well be interpreted as a predator type situation. You should read about the threat a little more. I would say that's the best use of distressed cow sounds.
slim9300

Postby N5J » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Slim,

Yea...I've been studing up on the level 3 threat. I just can't estamate how far or close they are yet. A few years ago we had a bull that sounded close...within 100 yards, so I tried the level 3 call making the sounds of a bull trying to hook a cow from the heard. I was making some hidious cow squels with some bull squels and huffing. The bull had cows but I never got him to budge. Maybe I wasn't close enough...He hung around for a whlie so I stayed calling while sending the shoot to the bull but no good. He took his cows and left the area. Never had a chance to try it again so I don't know what we really did wrong.

N5J

James
N5J