Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

whats a good way to practice grunts?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby shorthair15 » 07 16, 2012 •  [Post 1]

is there a way to practice a certain sound for grunts with the diaphragm. i watched the video and still haveing trouble makeing a grunt. i can chuckle just trying to figure this out. thanks
shorthair15

First Name: scott
Last Name: dyer

Re: whats a good way to practice grunts?

Postby mattstanton » 07 16, 2012 •  [Post 2]

The process for doing a grunt is like a loud chuckle but just with a hard "O" sound at the end and then a brief pause between grunts while sucking in air through the tube hard. Start by making your chuckles louder and harder. When you get that, add the hard "O" sound at the end of each one. When you can do this in a succession of 4 or 5, then add the hard sucking in of the air. Breaking the calls down like this is a great way to learn.
mattstanton

Postby Swede » 07 16, 2012 •  [Post 3]

There are two ways I know of, if you are not sure about your sounds. With both you continue alone to listen to Elknut's tapes and try to mimic his sounds. The difference comes based on whom you choose to have coach you after you practiced alone. 1. If you want the sound to be perfect get another elk calling friend and make the sounds for him or her. These people are extemely critical. They are even more critical than the elk. 2. Have your wife critique you. She will be happy with your calls as they are. She just wants you to quit making a racket with that obnoxioux "thing". Now the question is how picky are you?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby T/H » 07 16, 2012 •  [Post 4]

mattstanton wrote:The process for doing a grunt is like a loud chuckle but just with a hard "O" sound at the end and then a brief pause between grunts while sucking in air through the tube hard. Start by making your chuckles louder and harder. When you get that, add the hard "O" sound at the end of each one. When you can do this in a succession of 4 or 5, then add the hard sucking in of the air. Breaking the calls down like this is a great way to learn.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ i'm not expert but i agree with this especially the sucking of the air. that is what differentiates the grunt from the chuckle i think
T/H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Place the diaphram in your mouth and make a cow sound. Now, the next time you blow, as soon as you get that very first sound from the diaphram, say uh/huh. The Uh is exhaled and the Huh is inhaled. Think about it. With every grunt sound you make, you have to take a short breath in between them. This is where the HUH sound comes in. When you take that short breath, you might as well add a little voice infliction to it.

Before you know it, it will be easy as jumping off a log.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby eltaco » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 6]

mattstanton wrote:The process for doing a grunt is like a loud chuckle but just with a hard "O" sound at the end and then a brief pause between grunts while sucking in air through the tube hard. Start by making your chuckles louder and harder. When you get that, add the hard "O" sound at the end of each one. When you can do this in a succession of 4 or 5, then add the hard sucking in of the air. Breaking the calls down like this is a great way to learn.

Matt, can you post a sound clip of it without a diaphragm in your mouth? You have the best sounding grunt I've ever heard, and I think this sound clip would truly tell the story of what's going on.
eltaco

Postby ctdad » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 7]

eltaco wrote:

Matt, can you post a sound clip of it without a diaphragm in your mouth? You have the best sounding grunt I've ever heard, and I think this sound clip would truly tell the story of what's going on.

I'd love to hear this
ctdad

Postby mattstanton » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 8]

http://soundcloud.com/mattstanton-1/grunts-how-too

Here is a little audio clip of how I do grunts. Hope this helps.
mattstanton

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Matt, fantastic job sir!!! You've got great grunts & I really appreciate you sharing them with everyone! That Chuckler sounds awesome! You definitely do it justice!! Thanks & I hope many guys listen to this!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 10]

mattstanton wrote:http://soundcloud.com/mattstanton-1/grunts-how-too

Agree with Elknut.. Rock solid Matt! Fires me up to work on mine a bit more.. A very, very good way to explain to folks how to make the sound.. Thanks... RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby mattstanton » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 11]

This is no exageration but those grunts are from hours of listening to pauls mastering the mouth reed and sounds by the elk. Oh ya,,,and a lot of practice. Pauls dvd's and cd's have taken my calling to a whole new level. Can't thank you enough paul.
mattstanton

Postby eltaco » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Super! Even more than I had hoped for. This will help a lot of people, myself included!

Thanks a lot, Matt!
eltaco

Postby slim9300 » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 13]

This is great instruction. The only person I have seen that can break it down like you do is old GSelkhunter over on A-T. He emailed me an instructional recording just like yours about 7 months ago and it really helped me get better with hours of practice. I still wish I had a deeper voice but apparently that's kind of hard to fix. :) Your recording is going to make a ton of elk callers on here far more deadly. You are the man for posting that.
slim9300

Postby 32hunter » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Thanks alot Matt now i have to start all over practicing my grunts (lol) one of the best explinations i have ever heard and ur grunts are amaizing. I pulled a mucle in my back a minute ago trying to do it though.
32hunter

First Name: Kurt
Last Name: Griego

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 15]

32Hunter, LOL!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby slim9300 » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 16]

32hunter wrote:Thanks alot Matt now i have to start all over practicing my grunts (lol) one of the best explinations i have ever heard and ur grunts are amaizing. I pulled a mucle in my back a minute ago trying to do it though.

Lol!
slim9300

Postby ctdad » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 17]

I agree. That was very helpful. Thanks.
ctdad

Postby Bull's eye » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 18]

Thanks alot Matt,

Super helpfull, I like this forum, so informative.
Bull's eye

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 19]

Yep, I have to agree with everyone else. GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!
>>>---WW---->