Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

The One Dimension Elk Hunter

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

The One Dimension Elk Hunter

Postby Swede » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Sometimes Elknut and others refer to the one dimension elk hunter. Exactly what is a one dimensional elk hunter? It is a hunter who has only one way, or has one opportunity to kill elk. No hunter wants to be limited to only one technique or chance for killing elk. Lets face it the more we know and the more techniques we can use, the more opportunities we can have. The idea is to have some backup places, plans and methods for harvesting elk. The idea is to maximize the likelyhood of harvesting the elk you want.
I know a few "hunters" who could get an elk fairly regularly by going to a relatives ranch and shooting their bull in the field on opening morning. I use the term "hunters" pretty loosely because they just waited for first light and slipped out of the house and got into position . When everyone was set they opened fire. Some in the clan often tagged out, but if they did not get one at first light on the opening day of rifle season, they were essentially through. They had a five minute season. They are one dimentional. I knew another couple men who waited on a ridge, in a saddle. There they would sometimes get one when the elk were pushed off another ranch by the opening volleys of the start of the rifle season. If they did not get one there, they were through. They were one dimentional hunters.
We can be one dimensional by being satisfied with knowing only one tactic for killing elk. It may work some, but no one way is going to give you the consistant results you could get by having a bag full of tricks to use. I tree stand hunt. A tree stand hunter could be one dimensional, but I can use various elk sounds, I can call, I can move, and I can wait. I have some strong assets and some weaker areas. Some people only spot and stalk, while others only know one or two calls to make. They too are in essence "one dimensional".
Elknut said "use your strength", or something similar. That is excellent advice. Know your strengths and make maximum use of them. Also know your weak areas and minimize or eliminate them. Acquire the knowledge or physical preparation you will need to be most effective, or figure our how to work around them so you can be a multi-dimensional elk hunter.
What else makes a one dimensional hunter, and what have you learned to become more versatile?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: The One Dimension Elk Hunter

Postby mtnmutt » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Weaknesses
I have a severe hearing loss, so I don't know when bulls bugle back to me. My communication with them is limited. When I do hear them, I can't tell the direction because my hearing is unbalanced.

Walking through the woods, I am a little clumsy and I can't tell when I am making noise because I can't hear well. Last season, I practiced walking on big rocks when they were available. Lots of dead wood where I hunt.

Strengths
Because of my hearing loss, I have a higher ability to catch movement out of the corner of my eyes. I spot the subtle movements.

I have the patience to sit or stand for a long period of time even if I am cold.

Thanks to elknut's tips, I now know how to employ different tactics even with my hearing loss. I am not limited to one dimensional hunting. I would find it boring if I had to do it just one way.
mtnmutt

Postby easeup » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 3]

laziness

that attribute will prevent you from going to the tough areas or staying out late or getting up extra early.
easeup

Postby Swede » 07 16, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Mtnmutt, it appears that we should be a perfect team. You have poor hearing and I have vision problems. I am scratching my head and wondering if you should call for me or vice versa? Anyway don't let the small things slow you down. Just keep on hunting.
Swede

Postby idahoghost » 07 16, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Mtnmutt, I can identify with your plight. I too am 70% deaf in both ears. I primarily hunt alone. I don't have a clue if a bull (or cow) is calling or has ansered me because I can't hear most of them. I try to move slow and look alot. Hopefully someday I be able to capitolize on one semi-stupid elk. Meanwhile, I having the time of life hunting them. Remember only:
44 days or
1075 hours or
64531 minutes or
3871890 seconds
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 6]

A one dimensional elk hunter is one that will lose out on many elk encounters! How so? If you only cow call you are one dimensional! If you only bugle you are one dimensional. If you only spot & stalk you are one dimensional. If you only use one sound sequence for all encounters you are one dimensional. The list goes on! As elk hunters we need to be reasonably versed in all these things so we can capitalize to the best of our abilities & take full advantage of all elk encounters! This means you are a versatile elk hunter, you can & are willing to adjust to nearly any situation that may rise, this only comes with experience, no one can hand it to you! We have to be willing to learn & keep an open mind in order to get to these levels!

This doesn't mean you don't favor one thing over another, it means you can adapt to changing situations to better your odds when things go array!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 7]

In Oregon we have quite a few deer and elk hunters who vary their hunting a little differently than you might be accustomed to. They go from riding shotgun in the pickup, to sitting in a lawn chair in the back, carrying a drink in the chair holder or in one hand, and holding a bow or rifle in the other. Does going from the pickup seat to the lawn chair, when it is hot outside, qualify them as multi-dimensional?
Swede

Postby mtnmutt » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 8]

idahoghost wrote:Mtnmutt, I can identify with your plight. I too am 70% deaf in both ears. I primarily hunt alone. I don't have a clue if a bull (or cow) is calling or has ansered me because I can't hear most of them. I try to move slow and look alot. Hopefully someday I be able to capitolize on one semi-stupid elk. Meanwhile, I having the time of life hunting them.

I am profound deaf in my left ear and fortunately have only a moderate loss in right. I do prefer to having a hearing problem over a sight issue. Maybe it is because I have adapted to it these last 29 years.

I used to joke with a friend that I called for 3 yrs, before hunting myself, that I needed a semi-stupid elk too.

On my first day as the hunter 2 years ago, I was out by myself on opening day. Spotted a young bull 100 yards away on the far side of the creek bank heading to his bedding area at 8 am. I did a very gentle mew and he came to me. He stood perfectly still broadside at 16 yards. Unfortunately, I was the stupid one. Did not practice on 3D. Aimed high on vitals and he jumped the bow string (old bow was loud). Arrow barely went over his shoulder. After walking off, I actually called him back to 23 yards, but he was dead downwind sniffing for my scent so it was not a shot opportunity for me. He bolted once he smelled me.

The 2-4 year olds seem to be on the less educated side and I think it is easier to call them over to you. Reading each situation appears to be key and variance in tactics. Each year, I am trying something new because it is fun to do and see the results.

There is an elk out there in the woods for everyone who has the will to find them and adapt to the situations presented.

Question: Was it a requirement to own a pickup truck and take a chair? I don't have either. ;)
mtnmutt

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I think this is a good discussion Swede. I will say that the most important thing is to find the elk. Then you can decide how to go after them, and that will vary from situation to situation.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby foxvalley » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Swede wrote:In Oregon we have quite a few deer and elk hunters who vary their hunting a little differently than you might be accustomed to. They go from riding shotgun in the pickup, to sitting in a lawn chair in the back, carrying a drink in the chair holder or in one hand, and holding a bow or rifle in the other. Does going from the pickup seat to the lawn chair, when it is hot outside, qualify them as multi-dimensional?

Yes...... multi- dim
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby Lefty » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I’m working on it. I’m playing my strengths without letting my weaknesses mess up the hunt. I am on a quest, I will get better: that’s why I’m on this site, But one or two steps at a time

I see one-dimensional guys in every areas of the outdoors. In goose hunting I know guys that cant hunt early season birds, Will only hunt the “X” field and then it needs 500 birds on it, don’t know how to hunt traffic, or lake shores or gravel bars, or snow storms or river edges, short grain, the middle of the field, open fields only with silos, or shells or full body decoys and on and on.

I’ve adapted to what I needed to do, I’ve killed game in a lot of places using lots of different techniques

Right now I sit at water, and spot and stalk, for a big guy I can move quiet in the field, I have better hunting sense than most.
I also don’t like it easy. Where is the challenge? For me it is learning, doing it well, doing it better than others.

I fully expect to become a competent caller, I expect I will use decoy setups in the future at least some times with my daughters or wife
I already have a tree stand and water hole lined up,.. OK I have more than one waterhole with trees,.. for the future
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Lefty, you been sand bagging us??? The photos you shared on another topic do not show anything that would resemble a tree?? Where in the world are you hanging a treestand? (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Lefty » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 13]

ElkNut1 wrote:Lefty, you been sand bagging us??? The photos you shared on another topic do not show anything that would resemble a tree?? Where in the world are you hanging a treestand? (grin)
ElkNut1

I have a few backups :lol: , maybe more than a few just not in the area I currently hunt
I have this wonderful wallow/waterhole that is a 2 hour 2500 elevation gain, between Montpileir and Preston. I thought I discovered an unknown. I told my father-in-law and he descibed it,..everything a tree stand hunter would went,.. but the 2500 feet
I went for a "hike" yesterday near Pocatello and found 3 seeps/ wallows, waterholes that were not on the topo map
I have a really neat place closer to
Pocatello that has a long walk in, High elevation cattle water that hadnt been accessed in years. Maybe Ill post ssome pics if I can get a "hike" into there .
150 feet away was a gravel pool where the water disappeared just covered in elk track :)

I made this pic from yesterday of the elk track my computer background :D
IMG_0549 (Small).JPG
IMG_0549 (Small).JPG (92 KiB) Viewed 5222 times

The pic of my daughters bear stand near Mt border, there is a seep 200 yards away The stand is so she can sleep, I put here in the air because of Grizzlies
We saw bull elk a few times from the stand I can find elk in the woods too
Attachments
2012-04-2017-53-44Small[1].jpg
2012-04-2017-53-44Small[1].jpg (65.35 KiB) Viewed 5219 times
IMG_0548 (Small).JPG
IMG_0548 (Small).JPG (49.82 KiB) Viewed 5222 times
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Bow4Elk » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 14]

mtnmutt and idaghost,
I have trouble hearing also and tried using the hearing muffs. They work well. Can even tell which direction. I tried the Walker's Game Ear Quad muffs but couldn't tell which direction. Found the regular ones on sale for $70 and they work very well. Plus the ones I bought were orange so I can find them when I lay them down. I don't wear them all the time, only when calling. I can't stand to listen to all the noise I make. Really do help.
Bow4Elk

First Name: Ron