Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

He's Right There!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

He's Right There!

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Situational decision. You've positioned yourself between a handfull of cows and a decent 5 point bull. You're on a steep ridge about 5 minutes into shooting light. Hunting pressure is pretty high in this area and you're actually less than 1/2 a mile below a FS gravel road. You're on a steep ridge trail... the cows (on their way to bedding) are above you and have caught your scent and busted... They've taken off up and to the left. Less than 60 yards below you and to your right, over another small finger ridge, you see the ivory tips of a decent bull. He has obviously heard the commotion but he's still there (hasn't caught your scent). Not sure why he's that far behind his girls.. maybe he heard you coming down, maybe he stopped to sniff some cow pee to see if she was in the mood.. who knows. He's right there! Vegetation is huckleberry brush and a few sub-alpine spruce.. Not too much cover but some of it is 3 or 4 feet tall. Let's do this one as a multiple choice, or, you can write in something if you'd like.

A. Run at the bull, using excited cow calls and stop when you think you may be within an acceptable shooting distance. Nock an arrow.
B. Quickly move higher up the ridge to ensure you're on a straight line between the cows and bull and set up, nock and arrow, wait and listen.
C. Nock an arrow. Use the threat level 3 with crazy, excited cow sounds followed by a short scream.
D. Nock an arrow where you sit. Throw out an obnoxious bugle w/grunts to show the bull you've taken his cows and he is the outsider now.
E. Figure it's a blown hunt and head back up to the truck.

Thoughts? RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

He's Right There!

Postby slim9300 » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 2]

A modified choice C (acting immediately after the cows bust) and once the sequence is complete, moving up and toward the bull as long an I can stay just out of sight by using the terrain and foliage. It doesn't sound like the bull fully realizes why his cows are moving away from him or he may be oblivious, that's why I would go with an abbreviated version of the threat. The entire sequence should only take 5-6 seconds from start to finish. 3-4 pained / distressed cow sounds followed by the short scream with chuckles. I would make sure and kick up brush and make an obvious commotion. Then I would start moving toward and above the bull. He should come your way and as long as you can stay slightly above him, you have the distinct advantage for a shot (pending the wind is good).
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: He's Right There!

Postby elkohalic » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 3]

D. Nock an arrow where you sit. Throw out an obnoxious bugle w/grunts to show the bull you've taken his cows and he is the outsider now.
The bull will want his cows back and should come over to try to run you out. I wouldn't worry about the cows running off, that could just be part of the intruder bull taking them.
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby foxvalley » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 4]

test
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby foxvalley » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 5]

This ones a little tougher. At first I thought B,C, and D but if your seeing ivory tips, he will hawk you if you move. I doubt that he is just going to leave his cows,but I would sound like a much smaller bull anyway. I think he's comming in either way, but I would give him the extra confidence by sounding like a tiny little pipsqueek trying to take his cows.
foxvalley

Postby foxvalley » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Come on you guys!
There is not enough paticipation on this thread!! Phantom is giving you real hunting situations that you more than likely will come across. This is not a judgement here, this is for your learning. Read the situation,BUT before you read any answers, post what you would do right or wrong. If you feel intimidated here,how do think you will feel when you have a 1000 lb. bull elk at 50 yds. screaming in your face.
foxvalley

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Depending on how thick the cover between the bull and myself are I am almost in my comfortable range. If its open enough and the wind is in the right direction I would try to close another 15 yards between him and where the cows were. If there is enough openings I am very comfortable with a 45 yard shot if he will be broadside. If thats not possible I would say d.
Jahnke76

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 16, 2012 •  [Post 8]

First off, rarely will elk ever move on their own un-spooked to bedding or feeding with the wind at their rears, you mention this very thing in their travels?? Wind at dayligh is generally moving down the mountain especially on the steep terrain described?

To answer the question, the cows spooked & the bulls below you but you can see tips of rack! Wind is at bulls rear & in your face! You'd better do something quick because good chance he will side-hill out of there once cows run off! Let him know why the cows ran, very important so it removes the possibility of a predator! I'd stick to the cover & reposition as needed, the bull should close the distance to offer a closer shot, give 2-3 quick excited cow calls, if the bull bugles them great, if he doesn't within seconds I would then scream a bugle in an attempt to call those running cows back! I would already have an arrow nocked because this 5 point will be coming fast! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul