Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Sitting Quiet

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Sitting Quiet

Postby Breeze » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 1]

How do people sit quietly and still when waiting in set-ups and etc? There's lots of discussion about waiting up to an hour through set-ups...

Does anyone use a light weight folding chair? I've been thinking about it. Guess who got caught sitting on his butt after the elk were all gone...LOL.
Breeze
Breeze

Re: Sitting Quiet

Postby Swede » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Of coarse I wait for hours in a stand, but that is not what we are talking about. When I am calling and waiting by myself, I select my set up location before I call. I may go over and prepare my waiting spot so I can set there comfortably and quiet. I have never brought anything to sit on, and I know I will have to carefully shift around a little while waiting. If you don't, your feet go to sleep and you will be in trouble if you have to move a little to shoot. I kneel most of the time, but I may stand in some reproduction fir trees or other vegetation if it will work. Just be careful, watch closely, listen carefully and move slowly. Don't give your true location away by making noise there.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby easeup » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 3]

a chair?..............not hardly

Swede wrote:Of coarse I wait for hours in a stand, but that is not what we are talking about. When I am calling and waiting by myself, I select my set up location before I call. I may go over and prepare my waiting spot so I can set there comfortably and quiet. I have never brought anything to sit on, and I know I will have to carefully shift around a little while waiting. If you don't, your feet go to sleep and you will be in trouble if you have to move a little to shoot. I kneel most of the time, but I may stand in some reproduction fir trees or other vegetation if it will work. Just be careful, watch closely, listen carefully and move slowly. Don't give your true location away by making noise there.

same here
easeup

Postby mongopino915 » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Just like Swede stated above, it all about waiting, not sitting. There is a big difference between the two.
mongopino915

Postby Lefty » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 5]

With back problems leg problems and hard rocks to sit on Ive considered using s coyote callers seat ( like a turkey hunters) but to me it isnt worth the weight. and when your in the elk I cant see running with it
However in the blind I gave up on the plastic bucket(too much noise) milk crate to a small camp chair made by Browning. I love it ; msits low, I can sleep or shoot in it.

Sadly it isnt made anyumore
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Ridgernr » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 6]

We usually sit for 1 hr or so, and that isnt to bad .But I I have a place to sit longer say a water hole or wallow midday I think that is where a chair or something else would be nice.
Same as swede I will start out kneeling and then maybe switch to standing, alot depends on the trees and brush that are around.
Ridgernr

First Name: Randy