Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

really stupid question

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

really stupid question

Postby bnsafe » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 1]

but, when you colorado guys kill your elk your suppose to put the tag on the carcass, i assume with a ziploc. but, after you bone it out do you leave your carcass tag on the animal or cut it off and take it with you. cant believe you would leave it out there but whats the point of putting it on the carcass for a couple hours while you bone out the elk. sorry for stupidity, just dont want to accidently break a law.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: really stupid question

Postby dotman » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Not a bad question. I sign the tag and do the date thing but then it goes back in my pocket. Once I am done hauling 100% of the, meat off the mountain I then put the tag with the meat. Itis in a ziploc the entire time. I do not wrap it around anything just make sure it is with the meat.

CO actually talks about this in their regs.
dotman

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Yes, I just keep the tag with the meat too! I do not use a ziploc bag though we just tie the tag to the rack with the generally supplied skinny twist wire that comes with tags.! You can tape or tie with string too, or whatever you have! If it's a cow & no horns then put in pocket or tie to a bag of meat! If return trips are needed it's probably best to have tag with you, I've never been questioned about it in the woods so just use common sense! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Actually, it's not a stupid question, it's a very good question. I do not live in Colorado, but we have gotten to know the CDW wardens in our Colorado hunting areas and have discussed this with all of them. Some will just give warnings and some write citations for not doing it right. Proof of sex not naturally attached before processing is a very common violation, even when boned out. The other was not signing your tag before hunting. We bone out and bag all our meat on the spot for packing out. Even though it's boned out, that doe's not mean it's processed and still needs proof of sex naturally attached to at least a small portion of meat. We put the tag on the chunk of meat that has the proof of sex in the bag. I usually put a baggy around the proof of sex to keep any hair off of the meat. When we take it into town to have it processed, the meat cutter tapes the tag to 1 package of processed meat. As long as you validate your tag by notching the dates and sex, they allow you to put the tag in your pocket during packing, but you must attach the tag to a piece of meat while in camp or transporting by vehicle. If you process it yourself, the tag just needs to be kept in the area of the meat. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is what we have done and discussed with the wardens in the past. ;)
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Crazyelkhunter, nope, don't see where you said anything wrong at all, good explanation! (grin) It does vary from state to state though, in Idaho there is nothing to sign on your tag, you punch the date & month & you are done. The license itself has to be signed in front of the seller here. Other than that you are good to go! If there are multiple trips to retrieve meat then the tag can be in ones pocket!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Goneelkn » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Also, remember to sign the carcass tag.
Goneelkn

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Goneelkn wrote:Also, remember to sign the carcass tag.

That's what I said was the 2 most violation in Colorado. There is only 1 place for a signature. But it's not on the carcass part of the tag. The carcass part of the tag only needs to be notched after you have filled your tag. You have to sign the license part of the tag when you receive it before you hunt to verify that all the information you have given CDW is true. When I receive it in the mail, I sign it immediately and put it my pack. When you buy it from a licensing agent they have you sign it to complete the sale. I have had several friends forget to do this every year when they receive it by mail. So far the warden has been nice to them and hands them a pen. :roll: In California, you sign it before and after the kill. Like elknut said, every state is different, so read your regulations from front to back for the state your hunting. That's what I like about this forum. It might bring the attention of something important to someone that otherwise did not know. Ah ha! The new name, Elknut's- Learning and Training Forum :lol:
CrazyElkHunter

Postby Goneelkn » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 8]

CrazyElkHunter wrote:

That's what I said was the 2 most violation in Colorado. There is only 1 place for a signature. But it's not on the carcass part of the tag. The carcass part of the tag only needs to be notched after you have filled your tag. You have to sign the license part of the tag when you receive it before you hunt to verify that all the information you have given CDW is true. When I receive it in the mail, I sign it immediately and put it my pack. When you buy it from a licensing agent they have you sign it to complete the sale. I have had several friends forget to do this every year when they receive it by mail. So far the warden has been nice to them and hands them a pen. :roll: In California, you sign it before and after the kill. Like elknut said, every state is different, so read your regulations from front to back for the state your hunting. That's what I like about this forum. It might bring the attention of something important to someone that otherwise did not know. Ah ha! The new name, Elknut's- Learning and Training Forum :lol:

Look at a carcass tag, on the bottom it says " sign here after the kill". You sign your license before a hunt, AND your carcass tag after a kill.
Goneelkn

Postby cnelk » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 9]

And you dont need to attach the tag until 1 of 2 things take place.

1 - Being transported in or by a motor vehicle
2- In camp
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby dotman » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Goneelkn wrote:
CrazyElkHunter wrote:

Look at a carcass tag, on the bottom it says " sign here after the kill". You sign your license before a hunt, AND your carcass tag after a kill.

100% correct, have to sign the carcass tag after the kill.
dotman

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I have been wondering the same thing myself as I havent read the colorado reg book yet. Now I got my answer. And as far as I see it the only stupid question is one not asked. :D
Jahnke76

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 12]

My error on the carcass signature. I was having a senior moment. :oops: I was focussed on the tag not being signed by friends over the years after they received them by mail. Not sighning the carcass after kill was another violation even if notched.
CrazyElkHunter

Postby Goneelkn » 07 16, 2012 •  [Post 13]

CrazyElkHunter wrote:My error on the carcass signature. I was having a senior moment. :oops: I was focussed on the tag not being signed by friends over the years after they received them by mail. Not sighning the carcass after kill was another violation even if notched.

Get 'em all out before seasons starts :lol:
Goneelkn