Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

ElkNut Forum

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

ElkNut Forum

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Is this a great forum or what? Been in a lot of forums, but this one was well thought out by Paul. Can't wait to see when this forum blows up with stories and pictures come Sept. You can take that bet to Vegas! ;) Way to go Paul! A lot of information for the new and not so new elk hunters. :o Like Wayne Carlton would say " Pass it On" :D
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Re: ElkNut Forum

Postby bnsafe » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 2]

i agree, my favorite forum. so much info and nobodies a jerk when you ask a question. only thing i wish is when you put the mouse on a subject it would allow you to do a quick look to see if you wanted to open it. but thats some serious nitpicking. thanks paul and crew for an awesome sight. i hope its worth all your effort. it is to the rest of us.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby mongopino915 » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 3]

No doubt this forum is loaded with elk addicts, very knowledgeable folks, and elk killers.

I can honestly say that most folks on here are the 10% that take elk home 90% of the time. So far, I cannot stay away from this site and always looking for new ideas and ways to kill elk.

Thanks to all, especially the man himself.
mongopino915

Postby elkohalic » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Yes no doubt it is the go to forum for me. I can't wait till September also, Should be some amazing stories on here.
I can't believe how I can relate to some of the stories on here, and how others can just draw me in like I was standing right there.
I know after reading all this info, and being on this forum my elk hunting will be better than ever before. Season can't get here soon enough!!!
Chris
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby Swede » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I love it too. This forum is well focused and I appreciate that. I know there are some difficult calls at times and don't know just where the line is. i.e. the thread on eye glasses. No offence, I posted on it too, but I wondered if it belongs on the "elk forum? One thing I like is the very civil discussiion around here. Where is the name calling? Where is the anger? Boy I sure don't miss those things, and people posting just to get recognition, or to attack someone to bring them down to their low level.
I am hoping Paul will be able to continue to expand the number of knowledgable folks posting. I also would like to see more newer hunters feeling comfortable to ask more questions related to hunting. I know that if you have a question you will not only get good answers, but a whole lot of others will benefit also. If you are not getting elk frequently, lets up your game. If you are new, lets get you off on the right start. When you consider the successful hunters posting here, you wil discover, they are not all equipped the same. They do not hunt the same way and they don't hunt the same type of habitat. There are some things that are consistant, but as they say, "there are different strokes for different folks". Successful hunters have learned to prefect their hunting strategy.
I talked to Paul a while back when he first started planning this web site. He knew it would be a lot of work, it was risky from an investment standpoint, and there were no guarantees. I remember we had a laugh about it, but he and a number of others here have a passion for helping others learn to hunt in every way possible. I believe the site is already a success, and will expand, because successful hunting is ultimately a lot more about knowledge and skill than luck.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Guys thanks!!! The Forum is to benefit everyone, no one know it all & this is a school no one will ever graduate from as long as the Elk have something to say about it! (grin) I appreciate all you guys & gals here that are willing to help others out, that is very cool! This is not about money, it's about elk hunting at its best! What really intrigues me most is VERSATILITY!!! This to me means being able to hunt elk with a variety of methods at your disposal, you know, not being one dimensional! I enjoy all facets of elk hunting & all have their pluses. There are ones that key in on "specialty features" I on the other hand enjoy all of them with calling being at the top of the list! Why, because it's the ultimate challenge! Beating a critter at his own game in his home year in & year out has a sense of satisfaction! Yes, luck can play a part but the best hunters make their own luck!!! Thank you everyone for sharing the dream! Play this game to your strengths!!

Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby idahoghost » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 7]

[quote="mongopino915"]No doubt this forum is loaded with elk addicts, very knowledgeable folks, and elk killers.

Elk addict, who is calling who an elk addict? I certainly am not an... wait is that a bull I hear, no it's just an ambulance....what were talking about... oh yeah addiction and elk. No such thing this at this forum, just ask Paul. He would know.

I'd like to talk longer but there is only 46 days, 22 hours, 18 mintues and 8 seconds till August 30. I have to go check my trailcams again.

P.S. Thanks Paul...
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Postby Swede » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Idahoghost, I hear ya. I'm not addicted either, but I will get my annual fix in less than a month. I will start off with an early 9 day Mule deer hunt, then transition over to elk. The deer hunt is just a warm up for the "real thing".
I am not one to change much of what Elknut says, but I would say to those who have limitations, especially physical ones, in their hunting ability, it may work well to be a good one dimensional hunter. Don't give in because you can't hike for miles into a wilderness or chase down a big bull. I know Elknut never intended to suggest such a thing. I still like to call in elk some. It is a great rush to have a bull slip into bow range that thought he would find another elk nearby. But due to poor eyesight I have gone heavily over to tree stands, and have learned how to make them work well for me. If you can't make a call like Elknut, you can still spot and stalk. If you can't keep up with the elk anymore or can't hike for miles, you can still wait at a water hole or along a trail. Go hunting and anticipate getting one. Just don't give up too soon.
Swede

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Swede, your not one dimensional, you have tons of tricks up your sleeve!! (grin) The last comment was "Stay With Your Strengths" You do an excellent job at that!!! One of my best strengths is "let's see how many elk I can't find today" (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 07 15, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Elknut I agree, but I am not the complete package either. I have limitations too. I think we all do, with some more than others. I would rather have mine than what many have to deal with. I believe the worst problems to overcome are over-confidence or pessimism. With either you are beat before you get started. You are completely correct to say "play to your strengths". The key is to kmow your strong points. and maximize the effectiveness of them. This next month I am going on a 9 day desert Mule deer hunt, in an area I am not familiar with. To be honest I feel like a fish out of water. I know I can glass, stalk, and I know how to be patient. Is it enough? I don't know. I am going into an area Dwight Schuh hunted a couple years ago. If I remember right he went away empty handed. I am looking forward to the opportunity. Limitations or not I am practicing for a 60 yard shot. I will e ready.
Swede

Postby Harmy » 07 16, 2012 •  [Post 11]

Paul, you stated: "This is not about money, it's about elk hunting at its best!" I am not totally sure I buy that statement. Money is involved as you have a business going here. Take credit for that and promote it. I think you have a pretty darn good business from a my perspective (I am a 20 year professional quality director having worked in the outdoor industry, forensics, and medical devices). I am actually glad to see you making money as your service is exemplary from what I have seen in my short involvement and from my reading of your posts and of the numerous accolades in the various threads here. When I began researching calling and techniques a few months ago I landed on your site because of all the positive comments and when I purchased calls, DVDs, playbook, etc. they showed up immediately and I have been absorbed for 3 weeks straight (can't say I have had this kind of support from Cabelas or other stores...). I hope you are successful and that you can continue to provide all of us out here the gear, information, and a place to discuss all these various great questions. I have been a hunter for nearly 50 years and still consider myself very much under-educated. This forum and your service are helping me in a very profound manner. While I have had a lot of success in my own elk hunting over the last 10 years I have never learned to call. I thought I was a pretty good stalker and tracker but reading this forum has shown me again how little I really know (particularly about wind and heavy timber). This year I have a great opportunity to go after a large bull in a limited entry area that is really quite an easy unit physically when compared to the OTC high country or what I have seen of the envrionments of the Bob Marshall, Colorado, North Idaho, Cascades, etc. While Utah has some great elk its mountains are quite tame in comparison to some of these other large wilderness areas... What I hope for is your taking all the lessons and stories and ideas posted on your site and create a book. There is so much useful information on this site and it will soon become a huge repository of information. Wading through this will not be easy. You have the tools to make it easy and I for one would buy that product. Please let us know when it is ready.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby planebow » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I just got back from a week on the upper St. Joe river in Idaho doing some fishing and site seeing. It is going to take a while to get caught up here. Love this sight, read all the post but usualy do not post much. The other forums i read I was caught up in a couple minutes but not this one.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby Swede » 07 17, 2012 •  [Post 13]

I like it that we can diccuss and even debate things without being insulting. It gives even the old dogs an opportunity to reason out things and develop a better understanding of items we have only a little experience with. Paul, my hat is off to you bud for this forum and to all who are posting here, making it a success. It is great.
Swede

Postby easeup » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Swede wrote:Elknut I agree, but I am not the complete package either. I have limitations too. I think we all do, with some more than others. I would rather have mine than what many have to deal with. I believe the worst problems to overcome are over-confidence or pessimism. With either you are beat before you get started. You are completely correct to say "play to your strengths". The key is to kmow your strong points. and maximize the effectiveness of them. This next month I am going on a 9 day desert Mule deer hunt, in an area I am not familiar with. To be honest I feel like a fish out of water. I know I can glass, stalk, and I know how to be patient. Is it enough? I don't know. I am going into an area Dwight Schuh hunted a couple years ago. If I remember right he went away empty handed. I am looking forward to the opportunity. Limitations or not I am practicing for a 60 yard shot. I will e ready.

this thought got me to thinking.....sorry.....it is off the thread subject too......
mr. swede I certainly dont know you or your experiences or strengths but the honest reflection of feeling like a fish out of water when in new country....

now there is something a new hunter can identify with....(new thread subject guys)

I just wanted to contribute that even an old guy like me has that thought alot.....for me the last 4 yrs was a new elk hunt in a place I had never been to previously; OYOA,DIY; it is easy to worry and think you dont have what it takes to get it done. But somehow when it is all said and done, an elk was down each year and a big smile on my face. So the word of encouragement is keep the faith, discipline and work with what you do well. :)
easeup

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 19, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Hey, This is a great place to learn elk hunting. I've been at it probably longer than alot of the posters on here have been alive. But I still manage to pick up a few things to stick in my bag of tricks even from the new comers once in awhile.

Thanks Paul for a GREAT elk hunting forum.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics