Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

reflection off eyeglasses

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

reflection off eyeglasses

Postby foxvalley » 07 13, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I believe that a couple times I got busted because of the glare off my glasses. I now wear contacts in the mtns. because of this. Any eyeglass guys out there with any thoughts on this?
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Re: reflection off eyeglasses

Postby Freebird134 » 07 13, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I've worn glasses my entire "hunting life" and have just grown used to them. I do think the glare can be a problem, but like anything it just takes a little caution. A brimmed hat helps. A lot. I wore contacts a lot too, especially because I was trying to avoid this issue. But I don't see as well with contacts, so I'd rather deal with eye glasses than any worse vision.

I keep meaning to go get my prescription updated and order some sport goggles. I think they'll be useful while hunting. My eyes are pretty bad, and I've had limbs knock my glasses off my face. If there isn't someone with me, it takes a little while to find my glasses on the ground. And if I can't find them, I'm screwed. I want some goggles! :ugeek:
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby POk3s » 07 13, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I've always had the same thought. I have to wear sunglasses mid day or the bright light screws with my eyes. When my glasses aren't in use I always try to put them around my neck or on the back of my hat so that the glare isn't an issue in the direction I'm looking or headed. I did lose a pair of Oakleys a few years ago in the mountains. Since then I've "upgraded" to a pair of shaded, $3 safety glasses ;) . When the glasses are on there's not much I can do. I need 'em on and I know you guys with eyeglasses need 'em on too.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby Swede » 07 13, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I have had a lot of different issues with my glasses, but being detected by elk is not one of them. I do not have the slime I am upposed to use to keep the fog off and rain is a nusiance. Dust is a problem and sweat and about everything else, but I sure love my glasses.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 13, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I never wear my good glasses when hunting. I just go without. I can see good far away. But I do have a pair of those fold up reading glasses in my pack just in case I have to do some map reading or close up work.

As far as reflection goes, most of my reflection problems have been from the back side. I can see my face reflecting on the edge of the lense. Bugs the crap out of me!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby T/H » 07 14, 2012 •  [Post 6]

not so much for elk because of light conditions but open country mulies i have no doubt i've been busted from the glare off my glasses
T/H