Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Shot Placement

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Shot Placement

Postby T/H » 07 12, 2012 •  [Post 1]

i know its been discussed over and over but i haven't seen it on this forum yet so............where do you shoot?
Attachments
thumbnail[1].jpg
thumbnail[1].jpg (4.08 KiB) Viewed 2930 times
T/H

Re: Shot Placement

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 12, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Jahnke76

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 12, 2012 •  [Post 3]

David: I'm sure you have read some of BB's post on frontal shots. I'll take it every time under the right conditions. Here are those conditions. #1, You need to have ice in your veins. This is no shot for the guy that gets the least bit shook up with very close, head on encounters. The last one I pulled it off on was 8 yards away and staring me down. He didn't make it 20 yards. #2, I limit my frontals to under 20 yards. And #3 have a bow heavy enough to bury an arrow to the fletchings.

Also I'm sure you have heard all about shooting the V. Again this is a deadly shot. But it is not for me. I prefer aiming for the crease. Shooting for the crease is a rib shot that enters the lungs. By going through the ribs, you don't ruin any meat. When you shot for th V, you are cutting through good shoulder roast. Again, it is a deadly shot but just not to my likeing.

Quartering shots: I aim for the opposent front leg reguardless of how mild or tight the angle.

Stay away from neck, head,and rear end(Texas heart shots)!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 12, 2012 •  [Post 4]

test
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby T/H » 07 12, 2012 •  [Post 5]

yes i have read that thread and since reading it and after further discussion on Joehunters thread i now aim exclusively thru the center of the >. (on broadside to slightly quartering too shots, havent had a quartering away shot yet) it works for me. im starting to wonder too if guys are actually shooting too far back on quartering away shots as much room as there really is up front.
T/H

Postby POk3s » 07 13, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I now aim for the center of the > as well. Upper right hand "corner" of the heart if you wanna get technical.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s