Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Bugle use with the 3 levels of threat

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Bugle use with the 3 levels of threat

Postby erictski » 07 12, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Those of you that have elknuts dvds and playbook have heard him talk about the levels of threat.

My question is this. I have two bugles, the lil chuckler and the mini chuckler.

when working up a bull using the threat, paul talks of throwing in some short screams and squeals and chuckles to make it sound like the cow is being harassed by a bull.

would this be a time where using my smaller bugle would be better, to make sure i sound imature?

I am having a difficult time deciding when i should be using the little bugle instead of the larger one, to sound smaller and less threatening.

the mini doesnt through out the bass that the lil does, so i would think those chuckles would sound softer coming out of it.

any help is appreciated for a new elk hunter come this september
erictski

Re: Bugle use with the 3 levels of threat

Postby mattstanton » 07 12, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Don't worry about the tube. Just adjust your pitch and tone to sound smaller.
mattstanton

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 12, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Between, the two tubes mentioned definitely use the Lil Chuckler, it's got the best sound of the two & is designed to handle the coarser tones & more realistic bull sounds! The Mini Chuckler is designed for cow sounds & very immature bull sounds! Most hunters are not nearly as big sounding as they think they are when bugling at their best, this is especially so when compared to most herd quality bulls or even 5 points! Remember the Threat is a timing method reserved for just the right situations!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby erictski » 07 12, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Thanks paul

so when should i really be using the mini...or would i be better off with a big chuckler and my lil chuckler...and just the the mini as a coyote howler :D
erictski