Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Looking for a CO Archery hunting partner

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Looking for a CO Archery hunting partner

Postby AmericanBwana » 12 28, 2013 •  [Post 1]

About myself

Bow hunting for about 12 years now. I have yet to drop an elk with a bow, but have had a few shot opportunities I’ve passed up on or missed miserably. An ok caller, they respond and I’ve called a few in close enough for a shot.

50 YO male, in ok physical condition (lost 20lbs in the last year). Training regimen includes hiking with 50 lbs pack, two or three times a week about 4 miles. Also some weights and cardio at the gym a few times a week (Try to work out at least 3 times a week for an hour, either at the gym or with pack).

Getting the biggest elk is not my goal. Rather I’d prefer to take the first legal elk (depending on my ability to get it out before it spoils). This could be a cow or bull. Per an agreement with the spouse, I will not shoot a cow with a calf in tow (Yea they are weaned, but it’s a house rule). I’d probably take a calf later in the week to avoid tag soup.

Looking for a partner that can spend at least one weekend scouting near Glenwood Springs CO, then plan on a weeklong archery hunt the first week of the season. I may go back the last week also (live in Denver). You should be able to at least make the fundamental cow calls (social talk, lost cow, etc.). Not too worried about bugling (maybe a locator call).

Plan A and B areas are OTC wilderness about 40 miles apart. Base camp location will be about 3 – 4 miles in. So you will need to be prepared to carry your home in. We can either hunt together or solo. If hunting together, I tend to cover ground at about 2 MPH when looking for sign, then slow way down to call and wait.

Please send me a PM if you are interested.
AmericanBwana

First Name: Dana
Last Name: Gertsch