Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Match Reeds and Calls

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Match Reeds and Calls

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I thought it would be helpful if we started a library of sorts to discuss which reeds are good for making which calls.

I'll grade each reed on a 1-5 scale for bull sounds, and also for cow sounds.

All my reeds are Bugling Bulls.

Mellow Yellow - 5 for cow sounds, 1 or 2 for bull sounds.
Raging Bull - 4 for bull, 3 or 4 for cow
Challenge - 4 for bull, 3 or 4 for cow
All Star - 5 for bull, 1 or 2 for cow. It's too pitchy for cow sounds for me.
Full Rut - 5 for (big) bull, 3.5 for cow

I like the mellow yellow for cow sounds, the all star and full rut for bull sounds, and the challenge or raging bull for switching between cow and bull sounds (like in the levels of the threat).

What about you guys?
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Re: Match Reeds and Calls

Postby eltaco » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 2]

This us a great thread!

First thing that I have to note is that everyone's mouth shape is different, so what works for me might not work well for you. I personally prefer the Tone Top calls from Bugling Bull, but their standard palate plate doesn't seem to work quite as well for me.

That said, I was happy to see that you rated my favorite call exactly as I would have!

I haven't tried them all, but more than most sane individuals.

For me :
Full Rut : 5 for mature bull, 3.5-4 cow (this is my do-it-all)
Allstar : 4 bull, 3 cow
Herd Master : 3 bull (good for young bull, tho! ), 5 cow

I don't think there's a reed out there, or at least that I've tried, that works equally well for mature bull and cow sounds. My go-to is the Full Rut.
eltaco

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 3]

You'll probably get all kinds of answers to this one. Seems like just about everyone has their own personal favorites.

But I have made this statement many times on just about every elk forum I go to at one time or another.

"The very best call there is, is the one that works best for you"!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Match Reeds and Calls

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Elknut said the Closer is good for estrus buzz. I'll pick one up and try it. Eltaco, good info on the herd master. I'll put that on the list too.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby elkaholic » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Been working the Closer and am liking it. Also a fan of the All-Star and bright yellow from Berry calls. Those are my top 3. If I had to pick one I would say the All-Star for me. But like several have said all users are different and the best reed is the one that works the best for you.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Match Reeds and Calls

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 6]

The Full Rut is actually a little wide for me. I just ordered some Mini Masters which I hope will fit better.
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I don't really rate reeds personally, it's true some have a lighter latex than others therefore some are great for cow sounds & some are great for bull sounds! What I look for is an All Purpose Mouth Reed! This can vary amongst users. However, the Raging Bull & Challenge ( former Scream N Tormentor) are two of the very best All Purpose reeds out there today! Both will offer great Cow & bull sounds alike. The Closer is also a very good reed to consider, it does not give as big or loud a bull sounds as the Raging Bull or Challenge but it's a darned close 2nd! If I had to choose one reed, it would be the Raging Bull. If my son (bowelkdown) chose one it would be the Challenge, so you see it depends on the user but these mentioned you can not go wrong with!

I am referring to elk hunting situations not the biggest baddest competition type calling!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby eltaco » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 8]

RockChucker30 wrote:The Full Rut is actually a little wide for me. I just ordered some Mini Masters which I hope will fit better.

The herd master has the same frame as the full rut, so you might be better off saving your money if the full rut is too wide for you. I have the opposite problem with the more narrow allstar.
eltaco

Postby mongopino915 » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I have bought and tried just about every diaphragms available. At the end of the day, I have come to the conclusion that I am not good enough to make all of the different diaphragms sound the way I wanted so I narrowed down to two, and they are the Raging Bull and Scream/Tormentor. Early season to mid season, I tend to use the Raging Bull to sound a little less mature. Come the last week, I use the Scream/Tormentor to imitate a mature bull. They both make great cow sounds but the Scream/Tormentor makes the better cow sounds.

In the end, use whatever diaphragm you feel most comfortable with and can make the best sound.
mongopino915