Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Hunting while injured

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Hunting while injured

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 1]

So as of right now there are 3 of us heading to colorado early in september. Out of the 3 of us only 1 is in great shape, but the other 2 of us should be able to make it as long as we dont push too hard. Now we have a 4th guy who wants to go but was in a car accident last month and wont be near 100%. currently he has a bad knee and back. My question is do you think he could just hunt near camp seeing as how we will be camping at about 9500 feet. He is in good shape just not able to walk far or fast or carry much weight. Is he better off waiting untill he heals and go next year or just limp it out.
Jahnke76

Re: Hunting while injured

Postby Freebird134 » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Are you worried about his ability to hunt or that he will impede your hunting? I'd let him make the call if you don't think he's a liability to your hunting. But I'd have to put my foot down if I thought he'd hinder the rest of us. There's always next year!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I would say if he can't hike, hunt, pack this year.... invite him along even if he can't hunt.. Instead of paying the OTC tag fee, he could just go with you guys and tend camp this year. LIke freebird said, there's always next year. He'd probably be better off not hunting/hiking if he's still recovering from the accident (which I would imagine he is).. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 4]

No he wont interfere with our hunting at all, unless we have to pack one out for him, which would put a smile on everyones face. He is just wondering if the terrain might be too severe for him. Honestly even injured he might still be able to go further and faster than me but dont want to reinjure himself and is asking us our opinion on whether or not he should go. We will be in colorado somewhere north of dillon and south of steamboat.
Jahnke76

Postby planebow » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Last year my hunting partner thought he sprained his ankle the first te minutes of his week long hunt. He hunted all week and got close to several elk but could not seal the deal. When we came home he went to the doctor and found out that he broke a piece of bone on his ankle which the doctor saidit was better than pulling a tendon loose. I would say if he wants to go more power to him.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I've had 3 knee and 2 shoulder surgeries in the last 15 years and never missed a season. I have not been 100% in years and never will , but manage to pace myself to my abilities. I used to carry 90 to 100lbs of meat out on a pack frame, now it's more like 60. I would go to elk camp even if I could only walk a few hundred yds out of camp. Beats sitting at home. One of my best friends died in my arms in elk camp 2 years ago. We accepted that he wanted to die there and not at home. We spread his ashes last year on the anniversary of his death on his favorite ridge in Colorado. Elk addiction is in our blood and will be there til the end like my friend. With a little luck my story with pictures should be in Extreme Elk Magazine in November. Let your friend go, even if he is not 100%. If he is a true friend, you will make memories that last a lifetime. There's more to the hunt than the harvest. ;)Image
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby Freebird134 » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 7]

CrazyElkHunter wrote:I've had 3 knee and 2 shoulder surgeries in the last 15 years and never missed a season. I have not been 100% in years and never will , but manage to pace myself to my abilities. I used to carry 90 to 100lbs of meat out on a pack frame, now it's more like 60. I would go to elk camp even if I could only walk a few hundred yds out of camp. Beats sitting at home. One of my best friends died in my arms in elk camp 2 years ago. We accepted that he wanted to die there and not at home. We spread his ashes last year on the anniversary of his death on his favorite ridge in Colorado. Elk addiction is in our blood and will be there til the end like my friend. With a little luck my story with pictures should be in Extreme Elk Magazine in November. Let your friend go, even if he is not 100%. If he is a true friend, you will make memories that last a lifetime. There's more to the hunt than the harvest. ;)Image

Wow. Amen!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Im hoping he goes myself. He just dont want to reinjure anything and have a setback with the injuries.
Jahnke76

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 07 07, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Its fun just being camp cook too! Listening to your buddies stories at the end of a days hunt, over a steak dinner in camp! :o Priceless!Image
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Yes, I too would have him show up to camp! You say he's a friend, so if he was 100% he'd be more than welcome, right! You know there's a lot of elk hunting a man or woman could do without venturing too far away! This way if he gets a critter down all can pitch in without walking miles, it would be quick & painless work & very little down time would take place helping him out! There are tons of overlooked game trails throughout the west that cross dirt roads as elk come & go from feeding to bedding areas! Get good wind & position & sit tight mornings & evenings, about 2-3 hours of each after light & before dark! He could do very well! What does he want????? If he's half hearted about it, he may not want to be there!

I personally would never let an elk season go by without hunting it in some way shape or form, but, I am an elknut! (grin)

Crazyelkhunter, sorry about your friend! When I go I hope I'm doing what I love most, elk hunting!!!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 11]

I for one hope he comes along. I will be calling him later to tell him what everyone here said. Hopefully he comes along. It is entirely up to him though.
Jahnke76

Postby elkmtngear » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 12]

There have been a lot of elk killed within a couple hundred yards of camp over the years! Never killed one that close myself, but had some very close encounters more than once. ;)
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Blackhorn » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 13]

The only thing that I would be concerned about is if his injury would negativly effect an ethical kill. If not, hunt on! If so, sorry your welcome to come but, not hunt.
Blackhorn

Hunting while injured

Postby slim9300 » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Jahnke76 wrote:No he wont interfere with our hunting at all, unless we have to pack one out for him, which would put a smile on everyones face. He is just wondering if the terrain might be too severe for him. Honestly even injured he might still be able to go further and faster than me but dont want to reinjure himself and is asking us our opinion on whether or not he should go. We will be in colorado somewhere north of dillon and south of steamboat.

With this in mind I would encourage him to go if he wants to.
slim9300
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Jahnke76 » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Well I showed him what everybody here had to say and he plans on going. :D That is unless his doctor says otherwise. He may still need surgery on his back so that would put him out, otherwise he will go and hunt near camp and be the camp cook. He is excited to go and has already started getting gear ready. THanks for your opinion on this guys, I think you helped him make up his mind which Im personally happy with.
Jahnke76