Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

How long do you leave a trail cam set up?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby elkaholic » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 1]

How long will you typically leave a trail cam set up over a wallow/game trail to get an idea of the animals in the area? I am scouting some new areas and would like to get an idea of my clientel. I plan on leaving the camera set up for 1 week minimum at each location. I have 6-8 locations that I can put the camera, all in different areas I am sure different elk live. Starting Aug 18 I will set up the cameras and then plan on moving them every week until mid Sept. Think I will have a good idea of what is in the area with them being "deployed" that long?

I should mention this is my first time using a trail cam. :mrgreen: I have a Moultrie M-80 and have been setting it up in the yard to get used to its sensitivity and night capture modes. Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Re: How long do you leave a trail cam set up?

Postby Lefty » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Remember all things change as the season progrssess.
I had a trail cam going to water. After 30 days I had 3 bulls on camera. I saw way more elk sitting in my blind two weeks after pulling the camera

with that said I put a new camera on one water source, about 9:30 AM.. It was like video. The card was filled with 3800 pics before 4:30 that same day,.. yikes , coyotes, birds of every kind, rabbits, ranchers, even proof of a Utility worker,.. I think he was lost :lol: or maybe just scouting

I wish I could set cameras out all year long. I think a good progression of year long use would be valuable information. We place a trail cam over our bear bait,.. lots of neat stuff. deer bear, moose coyotes cats , peoples hats :? but no elk.Yet we saw from the stand about an elk every 2 hours, just none on camera

Im planning on setting my cam out next week on a trail. I want to see how consistant it is used. I also have a secluded water source, I wont set a camera,.. just look for track
I had the same camera (4 years ago) really ate up the batteries. Great pics.
I set on the 3 pic stting
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Goneelkn » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 3]

That MIGHT be enough time to get an idea, but i doubt it. Buy as many cameras as you can afford, and leave them out as long as possible. Cameras are really deceiving. Just because you don't get pictures doesn't mean nothing is there.
Make sure you clear and brush leaves out of sensor area and picture area.
Face camera as north as possible to eliminate sun glare.
Make sure on the camera height, alot of new people using cameras set them to high.
Good luck, and post your pic's.
Goneelkn

Postby Freebird134 » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 4]

The m80 is a great cam. I have 2. If you are checking it every week or so, you probably won't have to worry about filling up a card (depending on card size). You can adjust te delay--so it won't take a pic every 30 seconds of an ell just stands there for an hour.

There is no reason to let it adjust to light levels u less you are using the plot mode. The plot mode turns on 30 minutes before light and stays on for 3 or 4 hrs. Opposite in evening. Great feature, but you don't need that at a wallow.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby elkaholic » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Great stuff! Thanks. I will have two 4 GB cards that I will swap out when ever I check the cameras. I also have a couple friends willing to lend me theirs so I could have up to three. I too thought that my clientel would change as September approaches, but I have a lot of areas I would like to look at. So I am torn between letting the camera sit longer and not getting a look at all the areas I wanted or hitting them all and and risking that in 1 week I could catch some animals. :?:
I guess I put them in the areas that are very difficult to glass and leave them longer huh...

Good tip about the height of the cam. At first I set mine shoulder high. The leaves where setting it off, I had 300 pics in about 6 hours :shock:
Looks like about belt height is about right?

Keep the comments coming!
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby Freebird134 » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I like to set them a little high-mid chest maybe-- but put a small stick in the to between the tree and cam to slightly angle my cam Down. That's how I seem to get the best results, but it varies from spot to spot.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Goneelkn » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Waist high is what i do, depending on the angle to where the elk are. Clear out as much leaves, branches, etc. so the camera does not go off. It sucks to have a full card with pictures of nothing.
Goneelkn

Postby Swede » 07 06, 2012 •  [Post 8]

My cameras go up in late July or early August. I pull them shortly before the season opens. At that time I have made up my mind on where I will put up my stands. I may set one or two up at a new place, but it will be just my cheapies as I think they get nervous when humans are around and go off and hide on me.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics